looking for a diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a diesel

I'm looking for a Dodge or Ford diesel extended cab, 4x4, short bed and would love to find a stick shift but I've discovered that its nearly impossible to find a stick thats not attached to a long bed truck.

I found this on craigslist

good deal? bad deal? seems a little high to me. If this was a stick it would be EXACTLY what I want.

Has Dodge's autos gotten any better? I did some reading and I guess they beefed them up for 03 or 04... thats the only reason I was considering this 04.

Any one know of a similar truck with an stick or a good place to look?

TIA
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Flexplates and input shafts are weak, from what I hear.

I personally have changed out a flex plate on a 04.5 4wd 3/4 ton.

Truck has a chip, intake, exhaust and a few other things. Broke the center section clean off.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

My 98 and my 04 short bed trucks were manual transmissions.
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

not saying they don't exist, just saying they're rare
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

You can either shop for what you want or settle for something else

Comment

$16k seems high

Comment

why not the superior duramax?

Comment

LOL at the chevy floor mats in a dodge truck
                I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

Stay away from the 6.4

We have 7 F350 trucks with the 6.4 engine and are getting about 90k before the engine needs to be replaced.
                  There's a problem with the oiling system, the camshaft eats itself up.

You'll start to notice a slight hooting sound from the engine, as the camshaft gets worse, the noise gets louder.

Our trucks are in use 24/7, so the best repair for us was to go with the Ford Long Block replacement, 2 years unlimited miles warranty.

International knows about the problem, but their no longer doing business with Ford, so they don't care.

Go with the Duramax or Cummins
                  sigpic
                  "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                  through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                  We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                  my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

$16k for an automatic with tan interior? yikes... you need to do some real searching

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                      Has Dodge's autos gotten any better? I did some reading and I guess they beefed them up for 03 or 04... thats the only reason I was considering this 04.

TIA
                      04.5-07 has a 48RE, slightly improved over the 47RE. It's actually pretty good for a factory stock transmission. It can't possibly handle all the power a Cummins can produce though, no light duty truck transmission can. Leave the truck stock, or relatively close to it and only pull what the chassis is rated for and they'll last a long time. Throw a tuner on it, start pulling 20k pound trailers though and it'll last a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        $16k for an automatic with tan interior? yikes... you need to do some real searching
                        I don't see them for much less than that ever and I truck shop all the time.

I like tan interior so that is subjective.

Hell, I sold a 04 long bed 4x4 gold on tan with 19x miles for $12k. If it was a short bed it would've been more. A friend recently paid $16k for a long bed 03 4x4 auto with 128k one owner miles. Best deal he could find on one without 200k miles.

There are quite a few out there with manuals if that is what you want. I'd stick with finding what you want. The upside is that in the shortbed combo they actually sell for less money with a stick.

I like towing with my 06 2wd 2500 with a auto. Just hit 120k miles with 0 trouble. I purchased this truck during the $4 diesel days and paid right at $18k for it with 22k miles. Still books at $13k trade in.

Comment

Originally posted by prostock1 View Post
                          We have 7 F350 trucks with the 6.4 engine and are getting about 90k before the engine needs to be replaced.
                          There's a problem with the oiling system, the camshaft eats itself up.

You'll start to notice a slight hooting sound from the engine, as the camshaft gets worse, the noise gets louder.

Our trucks are in use 24/7, so the best repair for us was to go with the Ford Long Block replacement, 2 years unlimited miles warranty.

International knows about the problem, but their no longer doing business with Ford, so they don't care.

Go with the Duramax or Cummins
                          Are they all 08's? I had a ton of problems with my 08 F350, but a 09 I'm running hasn't been to the dealer in 60k miles.

High pressure fuel pump failures are a PITA. Complete fuel system replacement tank to injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                            Are they all 08's? I had a ton of problems with my 08 F350, but a 09 I'm running hasn't been to the dealer in 60k miles.

High pressure fuel pump failures are a PITA. Complete fuel system replacement tank to injectors.
                            6 out of 7 trucks have had engine replacements, 08 or 09 it doesn't matter.

We have 2- 2008 and 5- 2009, also 3 of the 2011 with the 6.7

the Long blocks come with new injectors and pump, so, they get replaced as much as the engines.
                            sigpic
                            "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                            through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                            We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                            my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

I shop all the time too... but I pretty much only buy private party. my philosophy is if the dealer paid $12-13k for it, I can too.

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                              I don't see them for much less than that ever and I truck shop all the time.

I like tan interior so that is subjective.

Hell, I sold a 04 long bed 4x4 gold on tan with 19x miles for $12k. If it was a short bed it would've been more. A friend recently paid $16k for a long bed 03 4x4 auto with 128k one owner miles. Best deal he could find on one without 200k miles.

There are quite a few out there with manuals if that is what you want. I'd stick with finding what you want. The upside is that in the shortbed combo they actually sell for less money with a stick.

I like towing with my 06 2wd 2500 with a auto. Just hit 120k miles with 0 trouble. I purchased this truck during the $4 diesel days and paid right at $18k for it with 22k miles. Still books at $13k trade in.

Comment

Working...
                              X