Anyone ever used a headhunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever used a headhunter?

Any experience? My dad had a good friend that was one before he retired, and It sounds like a good way to weed out the BS involved in a job search.

Any other good sources to work with?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

They usually charge 10-20% of the persons salary, then after a year they are contacting the employee everytime a position comes up so they can collect another finders fee.
    I've been contacted by a few about open positions, I usually don't pay any attention to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      They usually charge 10-20% of the persons salary, then after a year they are contacting the employee everytime a position comes up so they can collect another finders fee.
      I've been contacted by a few about open positions, I usually don't pay any attention to them.
      The way Colman (my dad's buddy) had it was that he was paid a commission for a finder's fee by the company if they hired the applicant. After that, he was done, other than they would send him openings when they needed them filled.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        The way Colman (my dad's buddy) had it was that he was paid a commission for a finder's fee by the company if they hired the applicant. After that, he was done, other than they would send him openings when they needed them filled.
        I probably typed that wrong.. Yes, they usually charge the company 10-20% of the employees salary as a finders fee. Problem with most headhunters now, they aren't going to stop offering that employee other opportunities that come up if there is a chance he can get another finders fee.
        I'm not saying all of them are like that, just most of the ones we've dealt with.

Comment

I have used them in the past and they serve a purpose to some degree. 15-25% of the applicants salary is the standard placement fee they charge. Some of them will do a decent job of weeding out the BS if you are very specific with your requirements. Others will hammer you with trash if you let them.

Create/Update a LinkedIn account and join some local professional groups will help to weed out some BS. The local professional groups can be very beneficial. I have been offered more jobs through LinkedIn than by using headhunters.
          01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Yes, and it was a year of frustration, interviews for positions he knew I was overqualified for, and positions that he knew he could get paid off of, regardless of what I was looking for.

Comment

I have done that since 1990. Any good search firm or head hunter will not offer a position to an employee that he placed with a company unless the employee does not work there anymore. You never shit where you eat. I had applicants say, "Place me there untill you get a better deal". I would tell them that was NOT an option.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                I have done that since 1990. Any good search firm or head hunter will not offer a position to an employee that he placed with a company unless the employee does not work there anymore. You never shit where you eat. I had applicants say, "Place me there untill you get a better deal". I would tell them that was NOT an option.
                You are a headhunter? Any specialty?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  Yes, and it was a year of frustration, interviews for positions he knew I was overqualified for, and positions that he knew he could get paid off of, regardless of what I was looking for.
                  I used a head hunter that tried this BS once. He kept trying to get me to go on interviews because it was good practice. Taking time off, wasting gas, and causing suspicion wasn't high on my list so I would tell him to get bent time and time again.

Don't fall for this nonsense. Be very specific and up front about what you are looking for and don't waste your time with the nonsense.
                  01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

I've been contacted by a couple recently. Went pretty far with one, then ended up turning down the position.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

They have their own agenda.
                      Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        You are a headhunter? Any specialty?
                        This. Invesment banking, hedge funds?
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          I've been contacted by a couple recently. Went pretty far with one, then ended up turning down the position.
                          How far, like 3rd base?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            How far, like 3rd base?
                            All the way. I'm sleazy
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
                              I have used them in the past and they serve a purpose to some degree. 15-25% of the applicants salary is the standard placement fee they charge. Some of them will do a decent job of weeding out the BS if you are very specific with your requirements. Others will hammer you with trash if you let them.

Create/Update a LinkedIn account and join some local professional groups will help to weed out some BS. The local professional groups can be very beneficial. I have been offered more jobs through LinkedIn than by using headhunters.
                              Any local professional groups you would recommend?
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X