Vietnam War Enemies Become Fast Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam War Enemies Become Fast Friends

I thought this was a pretty cool story and have seen others like it. I'm sure being a pilot allows some distance as opposed to ground forces, but still really neat IMO.

By Paul UlaneJul 13, 2012
    40 years ago, they tried to kill each other in combat. Now they hold each other's grandchildren.

Dan Cherry and New Yen Hong Me squared off in a vicious dog fight ove Hanoi in 1972. In the heat of battle, Cherry managed to blast the wing off of Hong Me's jet. Hong Me ejected himself to land safely.

You'd think that would've been the last these two saw of each other. Not true.

Four years ago, the pair reunited in Vietnam. They've been friends ever since.

Their most recent reunion took place in Minnesota, where Hong Me is in town for the Air Expo at Flying Cloud airport. The pair has been willing to put the past behind them in order to build a solid relationship.

This is the fifth time the duo has met up, with the first reunion taking place in 2008 on a Vietnamese TV show. Cherry has held Hong Me's grandchild in Vietnam, while Hong Me visited Kentucky to hold Cherry's grandchild.

The two also shared an emotional visit to the Vietnam War Memorial, where Hong Me teared up. The pair hopes to continue their regular meet-ups in the future.

Via CBS Minnesota
    There is video on the link as well.

That is badass. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Awesome, America won the dog fight, okay to proceed with friendship.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Awesome, America won the dog fight, okay to proceed with friendship.
        Haha, yeah, had the American been shot down and held in the "Hilton" he probably would have been less apt to be friends.

Comment

I'm sure it's about mutual respect. I remember getting off of a plane at Love Field as a kid, and seeing the "hippies" carrying "baby killer" signs as we came out to the curb. Here we have an American holding a Vietnamese baby. Ironic?

Comment

Working...
          X