Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like Matts pension plan is on hold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How employers ever got talked into pensions I'll never know.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      Fuck retirement. My Grandpa worked till the day he died, and my Dad swears that he will die in the saddle too. Hell, I get bored on long weekends and the concept of just staying at home and twiddling my thumbs while waiting to die scares the hell out of me.
      My dad has always said "I'll die at the switch"
      Financially, I want the option to retire. That doesn't mean I'll do it. I see retirement as owning a race team in some form or fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        He is fine, the changes would affect new pension plans activated.
        From the quote below, it appears that it will effect people already under contract:

But Stephen Hall, president of the Fort Worth Police Officers Association, called the proposed reductions excessive.

"I can't support changes to current employees. They were hired under a contract, a promise that these conditions would exist throughout their employment. Now the city is wanting to break that promise," he said.
        Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I always laugh when I read those articles because the city employees and their unions are such money grubbing whores who want to work the system. If I was the Ft. Worth mayor I would order no changes at all to the system. Hell, give them more money! The sooner the system goes broke, the better. Just like social security.

There is a fundamental change in thinking that is about to happen in this country, IE the idea that government money is endless and just rains down from the sky to fill the pockets of certain people. And it will either change through bargaining or the bond markets will make the change that the unions and the politicians refuse to make. The City of San Bernardino is a great example, they went bankrupt today. I wonder how that city's employees feel this morning? I bet a 40-50% pay cut to retirement checks in a bankruptcy scenario tends to get everyone's attention!
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

"Let's just adjust this annual return assumption to something more realistic ... 9% sounds good. I think a 6% discount rate sounds good too." See everyone is fine, it's just these new hires that are fucked, lol.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              "Let's just adjust this annual return assumption to something more realistic ... 9% sounds good. I think a 6% discount rate sounds good too." See everyone is fine, it's just these new hires that are fucked, lol.
              Meanwhile bonds still pay nothing and the stock market just took a dump. Yep, we'll have no problem making that 9% this year!
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Meanwhile bonds still pay nothing and the stock market just took a dump. Yep, we'll have no problem making that 9% this year!
                You guys just don't understand how finance works. That rate of return has a guarantee on it guys. That means it'll always be there.

Besides, all we have to do is raise taxes on the fat cats.

Comment

Yeah, you guys don't understand finances...

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Most people who get to retire usually work harder when they do. It's when they actually get Todo what they have always wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                      I'm the exact opposite. I am cutting all nonessential expenses, aside from nice vacation or two a year, so I can retire on my savings in some tropical island (lost cost of living of course) like the phillipines or cozumel when I turn 45 in 20 years.

My absolute dream is to get a personal fishing boat and spend my days on the beach/sea while taking the occasional client out on a fishing/sightseeing tour.

Heck, In a few years I might just transfer branches down to florida and live on a houseboat or something while I'm saving.
                      At last, I have finally found the remaining lost brother.

<----Same idea, but in the Virgin Islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                        At last, I have finally found the remaining lost brother.

<----Same idea, but in the Virgin Islands.
                        I haven't researched the Virgin Islands much. Can you tell me about it? Cost of living, livng conditions, women ?

Comment

Cut all their city paid retirements. Let them take their money and invest as they think appropriate. No more drains on cities with these legacy costs
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                            I haven't researched the Virgin Islands much. Can you tell me about it? Cost of living, livng conditions, women ?

Don't rule Belize out.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              Don't rule Belize out.
                              Belize is where to go, english speaking, still under the crown, and it's cheap as shit there. Only problem is it's also really poor there. Last time I was there the city was fairly reasonable, prices were cheap - but the culture is largely agrarian and people literally live in huts and shacks. On the coast the land is cheap. A half acre w/ house literally on the coast will run you about 250k. And your neighbor will be the President, he lives in a little 1800sq ft house right on the coast in a little neighborhood.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                                Belize is where to go, english speaking, still under the crown, and it's cheap as shit there. Only problem is it's also really poor there.

That's the poor peoples problem. I'm taking my DFWM Ballin' Out of Control Card with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X