Mayor slashes ALL city employees down to minimum wage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor slashes ALL city employees down to minimum wage

I do think this is kind of wrong, but it isn't stopping me from laughing a little. And frankly, it does seem logical. I'm sure it is nothing more than some political bullshit, but it certainly got everyones attention.

Cash-strapped Scranton, Pa., has slashed pay for all city employees—including police and firefighters—to minimum wage, sparking furor among unions that now say they plan to sue in federal court.

A lawyer representing three unions told Scranton's Times-Tribune he will file several motions, including one to hold Mayor Chris Doherty in contempt of court for violating a judge's order to pay full wages.

The lawyer, Thomas Jennings, said he also expects to file a pair federal lawsuits on behalf of the unions—International Association of Firefighters Local 60, the Fraternal Order of Police E.B. Jermyn Lodge 2 and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 2305—alleging the city failed to pay proper wages and overtime, and cut benefits for disabled police and firefighters without a proper hearing.

"Pick a law," Jennings told the Times-Tribune. "They violated it."

Last week, Doherty abruptly cut pay for all 398 city employees to $7.25 per hour, saying it was the only way to keep Scranton solvent.

According to the paper, Scranton—which faces a $16.8 million budget deficit—had $133,000 in cash on hand as of Monday, but owed $3.4 million in various vendor bills, including health insurance.

Roger Leonard, a city employee, told NPR he typically gets a $900 check for two weeks of work. On Friday, it was $340.

"I have two children and a wife, and my wife is a stay-at-home mom," Leonard told NPR. "If the savings gets drained, we won't be OK."

The mayor, meanwhile, blamed the City Council for Scranton's financial woes.

"If they'd gone with my budget, we wouldn't be having this discussion," Doherty said. "The taxes would have been raised. The bills all would have been paid because we would have had a dedicated revenue stream."

Good thing the employees of Dunder-Mifflin are there to boost the economy.

Comment

So did the mayor cut his own pay.

Comment

Aggressive!

Comment

Business runs out of money, it goes under and everyone loses their job.

Government entity runs out of money, people sue it to get money.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Unions are the debbil

Comment

Minimum wage for cops and firefighters? Guess it's going to be like Mexico over there, bribing cops to get out of tickets. For minimum wage I wouldn't give a shit anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                Business runs out of money, it goes under and everyone loses their job.

Government entity runs out of money, people sue it to get money.

I'm kind of curious how they expect to collect when the city is already insolvent. Oh, that's right, it will just appear like magic, and they'll be even further in debt.

Comment

"If they listened to me and raised taxes."

Yeah, that's it. Need more money, so we can spend more. Sure let's tax people more without looking at our own practices or fixing potential issues. Oh, don't listen, let me cut everyone's pay....
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                    Unions are the debbil
                    If they are under contract for certain pay rates they are obligated to get paid those rates. The Mayor broke the law here. I'm not for or against unions but this is clearly not right.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                      If they are under contract for certain pay rates they are obligated to get paid those rates. The Mayor broke the law here. I'm not for or against unions but this is clearly not right.
                      True, and I should have said public employee unions rather than unions in general.

Comment

Most shocking part of the story: you can afford to have a stay at home wife and two kids on $1950 a month in Scranton, PA.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

"Doherty has maintained for months that if the City Council had not refused his 2012 budget proposal, which included a 29 percent tax hike, the city would not be in a dire situation."

Seems logical... LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                            "Doherty has maintained for months that if the City Council had not refused his 2012 budget proposal, which included a 29 percent tax hike, the city would not be in a dire situation."

Seems logical... LMAO
                            a 29% increase on a 3.4% city income tax is .986%

So that city employee's 900 dollar check would have been maybe an 891 dollar check instead. I'm sure that might have been better than a 340 dollar check.

I see his point, and i'm not for raising taxes in all situations, but it's obvious the other option that the city council came up with didn't work either.

Comment

If the contracts are still in force, he should still follow them. Nice idea though. Next contract negotiation time however, it's time to make the unions and public employees finally pay
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X