New vehicle purchase- Few Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vehicle purchase- Few Questions?

I am purchasing a vehicle form a Dallas area dealership tomorrow morning. I have never purchased a vehicle in the State of Texas, and was hoping somebody could explain the Tag, Title, Tax process.

Here in Oklahoma, I purchase vehicles at an agreed upon price, and then within 30 days, I go and pay an independant tag agency the tag, title, tax fees. (Tax Commission)

The way I understand it, that these fees are due upon purchase in Texas. Just wondering what I should expect as far as percentages and fees? The car is Pre Owned, so has already been tagged before. Any help would be appreciated.
    sigpic

Purchase the car, take it to the tag office in OK and register it.

Comment

i dunno. this is a mustang site. We all drive mustangs and buy them from Whiteboy.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        Purchase the car, take it to the tag office in OK and register it.
        I was hoping to do just that. But becasue I'm not sure exactly what the process was, I didn't know If this was something the dealership would let fly. I didnt want to demand something, and then look like a dipshit, because it wasnt something that could legally be done in Texas.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bringit View Post
          I was hoping to do just that. But becasue I'm not sure exactly what the process was, I didn't know If this was something the dealership would let fly. I didnt want to demand something, and then look like a dipshit, because it wasnt something that could legally be done in Texas.
          Then call the dealer and ask them, the worst they can say is no. If they do not know, maybe they shouldn't be in business. Good luck
          Detailing by Dylan
          817-494-3396
          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

If you live in ok, and are buying in Texas then you should be able to pay just the vehicle price and pay ok taxes when you get back. I know there are a few states where you have to pay in the state regardless of residents, but I don't think Texas is one of them. Every time I have bought out of state and brought one back to Texas I paid TTL in Texas when I got back.

Comment

Are you financing, or paying in full?
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

i bought a car from a dealer for ~2700.. ended up paying 3200 after tax title & liscensing fees
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I'd give them your top dollar price, agree to that, and then let them do the math to cover TT&L and get you out the door for the agreed upon price.
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

If you're an oklahoma resident, make sure the FI guy knows you're not registering it in Texas. They won't charge you TT&L, but you'll have to go through the same process as you normally would in Oklahoma.

However if you are going to title it in Texas it is due at signing (or roll into the note if you're financing).

Comment

My parents live in Florida and bought a car here the dealer tagged it in Florida and sent them the plates they didn't have to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
                        If you're an oklahoma resident, make sure the FI guy knows you're not registering it in Texas. They won't charge you TT&L, but you'll have to go through the same process as you normally would in Oklahoma.

However if you are going to title it in Texas it is due at signing (or roll into the note if you're financing).
                        This. Beware many shady places will try to make you pay it anyways.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                          This. Beware many shady places will try to make you pay it anyways.

Stevo
                          This is where I was trying to get clarification. They seem like a pretty reputable auto group. (Sewell) But, the sales guy I was dealing with was pretty adamant about me not really having a a choice in the matter. I would like to think that this is a case of him being ignorant on the subject, and not trying to be shady.
                          sigpic

Comment

should not have to pay any taxes, except the state you register it in.

Comment

Weren't you a car sales man once upon a time?
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X