Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some help. Have to write a quote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help. Have to write a quote.

I had a gentleman contact me to do some painting on a new golf club putter that he designed as an aid to improve a persons putting.

He's going to have me paint 100 per order. I need to write a quote to show either price per unit, or price per 100.

I can paint 5 of these per hour, so if I can do them for 8 hours per day, I can finish them in two and a half days. I am going to charge him $10 per unit, so I can either write it $10 per unit x 100, for $1000, which I think would be the best way of showing him the price point per unit, or I can write it for $1000 per 100. If I can get a steady run out of this deal, it would be awesome. $1000 for two and a half days of work, sitting in the a/c at MY house. "Shitting in high cotton", as they say.

So, what's the most professional way to write this quote ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !!

-Aaron

$12 per unit, or $1,000 per 100. That will make sure he sends you bulk orders and not too many 1 offs...?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Personally, I would quote an individual price per unit, as if you were painting one of them. then quote for the unit discount, show him the value of doing multiple units.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I always thought it was "sitting in high cotton", I don't want to sit in your cotton.

Comment

Use a template from Excel. Just open it an search for quote.

This took me 2 min based upon info in here... However I would spell things correctly, unlike me

Comment

I like it.

I was thinking this thread was about writing an inspirational quote. Dammitt.
            2012 GT500

Comment

I agree with min units like stated above, if you quote $12 per unit and $10 ea per batch of 20 then you should get enough on ea order to make it worth your time.

Comment

If you haven't given him a price double what you figured. This ain't a hobby. There are other things to consider here like a tax id number and the ability to form a corporation and expense things. You need a good(meaning GREAT) cpa.

How are you procuring the materials and equipment? Have you considered what you will do when the guy dumps a 20k unit order on you?(might never happen but it could) you need to be ready to expand if you need to and that might mean a place and bigger/more equipment, and you will need the capital to do it.
                Rich

Comment

My biggest advice is to write a statement of work (SOW) or a scope of services. That way he doesn't nail you on some BS. Detail the work to be performed on a cover letter or something, and then use a format similar to what Silverback posted. In his template the Job Description would be close to this. However, say exactly what you will do.

I/E: Detrash, handling, paint preparation, paint, protective coatings (if you do that portion), re packaging, Shipping charges?.

Then detail the labor in the quote. Explain why the price break occurr. You can do 100 in one order cheaper than 20 orders of 5 because of the set-up with paint, fixturing, etc.

It sounds like you've pretty much won the business. Now give him enough detail to understand why the breaks occurr and cover your ass with the SOW/Scope.

EDIT: Building on what TexasT said, business structure matters but you OBVIOUSLY won't be a corp because you're a one man show. I would suggest LLC to protect yourself however you can. You can register an LLC in texas in under 48 business hours if you use the online secretary of the state filing system.

As far as how you're going to do this work...I wouldn't focus on the capital and equipment mentioned if all you're doing is painting and have that equipment. Address this concern with schedule and maximum commitments. This is where you can then get into incentive fees for working longer and additional hours. If the max capacity is known up front it'll be a lot easier.

MOST OF ALL...GOOD LUCK! I Just registered a multi member LLC a few months ago and it's really easy. If you need any tips let me know. If you have a partner and go S-Corp, I've heard registering in Deleware is beneficial
                  Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X