Suggestions for a small dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron View Post
    My grandparents had several as well as my dad. We are thinking about a very young Dachshund/beagle mix. We are both liking it.
    We rescued a daschund/corgi mix. We also have two other rescues, a chihuahua and an English bulldog. Tanner, the daschund/corgi is like one of the kids. He's easily the best and most intelligent dog we've ever owned, between the two of us.

This was taken when we adopted him.

Comment

no beagles or beagle mixes for me

can't stand the baying

I'm not gonna lie, I like Yorkies. I've met some super chill ones and I almost adopted one recently, but I found it's owner. One of my buddies has always had Yorkies. I've also met some cool chihuahuas and would consider one of them also.

I think the yappy yappy genes really kick into overdrive when you have a bunch of little dogs. But none of the yorkies i've been around were yappy
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
        My wife has a toy schnauzer (~10lbs full grown) and it's an ok dog I guess. I would avoid the toy and go for the ~20lb mini instead. The toys are apparently known for health problems and this one is no different. If I were dumb enough to add up all the vet bills and associated costs, she'd be worth her weight in Gold.

My mom had mini schnauzers when I was a kid and they didn't have any health issues that I recall.
        Any toy/teacup is a bad idea, inbreeding in some cases to get smaller genetics? Tried to tell my wife when her mom wanted a toy poodle.....

Comment

Tanner loves motorcycle rides

Comment

Two Yorkies here, love them to death. 11 and 8 years old. No yapping, just super cool companions. I'll likely be a Yorkie owner for life.

Comment

I was never really a fan of small dogs until my wife got this Westhighland Terrier (aka Westie) named Beignet. Cute, but that little fucker will hunt rats all damn day long. I think the rats finally got the message after he killed the 6th one. I haven't seen another one since. That Dog is all attitude too. He wouldn't take shit from my bigger Dog, Hershey.

I also have a Beagle, Po-Boy. I dig this dog, he is smart and has a ton of personality. However they need a lot of attention or they can get a bit destructive.

Comment

My Boston was great and she never barked!

Very smart and easy to train.

Comment

Going to be checking out this little guy tomorrow evening. Scott terrier mix of some sort.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                    My wife has a toy schnauzer (~10lbs full grown) and it's an ok dog I guess. I would avoid the toy and go for the ~20lb mini instead. The toys are apparently known for health problems and this one is no different. If I were dumb enough to add up all the vet bills and associated costs, she'd be worth her weight in Gold.

My mom had mini schnauzers when I was a kid and they didn't have any health issues that I recall.
                    Yeah the toys are known for having issues. Ive had around 10 different ones growing up and none of them ever had any health issues. The ones we have now one is 2 yrs and the other 1 yr, neither with an issues. only vet bills were to get their shots. They are great dogs!

And one with the newest addition my husky..

Comment

He's not a small dog, but we're fostering this boy for a month. We've given his owner until 8/8/12 to get it together and get him, or he goes to a new home on 8/9/12.

I'd like to have some options lined up in the event that his owner doesn't get it together.

Comment

he's pretty. I dont know if he would work out with us or not.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          he's pretty. I dont know if he would work out with us or not.
                          He is quite the lover. His favorite thing in the world is to just lay next to people. He's 4, so he's past the rumbustious puppy phase, he's not a chewer, he's house-broken, but he doesn't have any formal training and he doesn't like being crated. We've left him loose in the house when we leave, and have not come back to any messes or destruction. His biggest downfall is that he doesn't want to use a doggy door, he wants to be let out, and he LOVES to chase kitties.

Comment

No pure bred chihuahuas! Mine is the devil incarnate. Ask Chili. She bit him a few times when they were dog sitting for us.

But our Chi-weenie is the sweetest boy. He does bark some, but he is a lover and good with kids.

Of course the bulldog is the best of the lot, but she's a beast.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X