Suggestions for a small dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a small dog?

All my life Ive had big dogs, the smallest being a healer. My wife wants our next one to be a small dog, lapdog sized.

Im sure all this time spent reasearching and such will be out the window, we are big fans of SPCA and shelter dogs. Any breeds to specifically try to shy away from? My wife would be thrilled with a lasso, but im really not into dogs that need daily grooming.

Ive been thinking about pug, boston or rat terrier, I would prefer a smooth haired dog. A short wire hair would be ok.

Suggesions?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by Baron View Post
    All my life Ive had big dogs, the smallest being a healer. My wife wants our next one to be a small dog, lapdog sized.

Im sure all this time spent reasearching and such will be out the window, we are big fans of SPCA and shelter dogs. Any breeds to specifically try to shy away from? My wife would be thrilled with a lasso, but im really not into dogs that need daily grooming.

Ive been thinking about pug, boston or rat terrier, I would prefer a smooth haired dog. A short wire hair would be ok.

Suggesions?
    Heeler

Among the three options posted, I would go with the Boston.

Comment

i kinda want a min pin, but know im gonna get a boxer.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Rat terrier

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          i kinda want a min pin, but know im gonna get a boxer.

god bless.

Nothing more gangster than a wigger with a minpin rolling around in a faggot vert!

Comment

Only small dogs I would even consider getting would be a rat or jack russel terrier.

Comment

Fuuuuuuuuuuck every bit of a small, yappy ass dog. We have a golden retriever/Irish setter mix and she is the most awesome dog ever. She's about 70-75 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                Only small dogs I would even consider getting would be a rat or jack russel terrier.
                Im not sure Id be in on a Jack russel. I've not heard great things about them since they became popular and puppy mills started going crazy on them.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Rat terriers are great, some require alot of activity. We walk ours atleast 2 miles a day. I've never met a owner who has hated theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                    Fuuuuuuuuuuck every bit of a small, yappy ass dog. We have a golden retriever/Irish setter mix and she is the most awesome dog ever. She's about 70-75 lbs.
                    Im with you there. We had to put Scooby down, he was great. We have a healer and a Mastiff that are both good dogs, but my daughter is used to Scooby being very laid back and gentle, she could walk up and climb on him, pull his ears, take a bone out of his mouth, and generally do anything and he didnt care. My healer is getting better about playing with her, but just isnt really liking it very much. She watches over her and is gentle, but doesnt really want to be crawled on, etc.

Duke is sweet as hell, loving, but has no idea that he is big. He bumps into her without knowing, so she is shy around him. He will let her do about anything to him, he's just clumsey. Im thinking a small lap dog would be her best friend.

Comment

whatever you do Dont get a yorkie!!

I made that mistake 4 years ago and this little shit is still here only bc my little girl is attached to this little creature!FML
                      Last edited by 03DARKSHADOW; 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I'd consider a Corgi of some sort. Good little dogs and at least mine was not a barking fool. He would bark at the doorbell and all that sort of thing, but generally not unprovoked.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Italian greyhound.

Not much of a barker
                          Smooth short hair
                          Really good with people
                          Super sweet disposition

Dumber than a box of rocks

Comment

I had 2 dachshunds.. Loved them.. will most prob get another one later in the year too.
                            2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

Rat terriers are the greatest small breed IMO. That being said my parents jack is probably my favorite dog ever, just gotta be prepared for their never ending energy levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X