Charity Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Scam

Quite like they had intended. Summary: Group claims veteran charity with 56million in cash from donations. Instead of sending money in, they 'donate' things like 700 pairs of Navy dress shoes and 11,000 bags of coconut M&M's.

Report on CNN: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg4FrX0AxTY&feature=results_video&playnext =1&list=PL0C1ACF6633092B20[/ame]

Bookmark the permalink.
    Scam Alert: Veteran Charity
    May7 by DejahThoris

IRS forms show charity’s money isn’t going to disabled vets – CNN.com.

CNN Highlights:

Tax records for the Disabled National Veterans Foundation show $55.9 million in donations
    Almost none of that money has been provided to American veterans
    It has also provided useless donations, including over 11,000 bags of M&Ms to one charity
    The DNVF did not respond to repeated questions from CNN

This is another example of how charities scam good people who believe they are contributing to a worthy cause.

http://www.charitywatch.org/ is a good organization to find out the percentage of donations that are actually going directly to the people they are supposed to be helping. You can also go directly to the IRS website and do a 501c status verification of all non-profit organization. Just because it claims to be a 501c, doesn’t mean that they are officially recognized as such. Always be careful, and do your due diligence before giving your hard-earned money away. You may be better off calling your local VA office and asking if there is a way to directly support homeless veterans, or families who are in dire straits. This way, you know for certain exactly what the money is going to be used for.

The independent group CharityWatch gave the DVNF an “F” grade. More than 30 veterans charities were rated by the independent group by the amount they spend on fundraising compared to actual donations, and two-thirds were given either a D or F grade, according to CharityWatch president Daniel Borochoff.

“Up to $2 billion is raised in the name of veterans in this country and it’s so sad that a great deal of it’s wasted,” Borochoff said. “Hundreds of millions of dollars of our charitable dollars intended to help veterans is being squandered and wasted by opportunists and by individuals and companies who see it as a profit-making opportunity.”

This goes for every type of charity out there, regardless of how pious and sympathetic they may come across.

When approached by a CNN crew at the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Disabled National Veterans president Precilla Wilkewitz rebuffed questions.

“Well, this is the Veterans of Foreign Wars and I really didn’t think you’d do something like this and we’ve agreed to talk to you … answer your questions,” she said, standing in the entranceway to her office.

Wilkewitz is the former national legislative liaison for the VFW, which is not directly tied to the Disabled Veterans National Foundation.

She said she would answer questions only in writing, but so far CNN has received no response.

Congratulations Precilla Wilkewitz! You are the latest winner of the Order of the Douchebag Award. I commend you on your singularly unethical behavior, as well as the bottomless pit of avarice that allows you to divert donations meant for homeless and wounded veterans. I look forward to numerous SEC and IRS investigations and the destruction of all that you have worked so hard to “achieve,” to include your personal assets and career options.

IRS forms show charity’s money isn’t going to disabled vets – CNN.com. CNN Highlights: Tax records for the Disabled National Veterans Foundation show $55.9 million in donations Al…
    Last edited by Forever_frost; 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

What a bunch of scam artists.

I never got no stinkin' apron, shoes, or M&Ms.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

So you are saying you don't like M&Ms?

Who the fuck doesn't like M&Ms?
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        So you are saying you don't like M&Ms?

Who the fuck doesn't like M&Ms?
        You mean coconut M&M's?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          You mean coconut M&M's?
          Who the fuck doesn't like coconuts? Those pink snowball things are awesome, as well as pina coladas. I assume coconut M&Ms would be as well. Gilligan would kick your ass for suggesting otherwise, God rest his Soul.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Who the fuck doesn't like coconuts? Those pink snowball things are awesome, as well as pina coladas. I assume coconut M&Ms would be as well. Gilligan would kick your ass for suggesting otherwise, God rest his Soul.
            Hehe..you like snowballs.

These assholes should be deployed to Afghanistan, then Iraq and then dropped into Somalia.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Hehe..you like snowballs.

These assholes should be deployed to Afghanistan, then Iraq and then dropped into Somalia.
              That would be very suitable punishment.

Give them a 50lb backpack of coconut M&M's to wander around with and no water while wearing Red, White, and Blue attire.

Comment

I don't give to charities any more any way. I figure the government already does enough on my behalf without my consent.

Comment

Precilla Wilkewitz

Is that a jewish name?

Comment

I hate the smell of coconuts. Smells like little black girls hair when I was a kid.

Comment

On a side note, can you hold a raffle for an object, where proceeds are not going to charity. I was thinking about doing a gun raffle at work to raise money for my car, I was gonna let everybody know its not for charity, and would be going to finish the cobra. If they want to buy a ticket then its up to them. Is that illegal?
                      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                        On a side note, can you hold a raffle for an object, where proceeds are not going to charity. I was thinking about doing a gun raffle at work to raise money for my car, I was gonna let everybody know its not for charity, and would be going to finish the cobra. If they want to buy a ticket then its up to them. Is that illegal?
                        You wouldn't even have to mention a charity. Just say "I'm going to raffle a gun. Buy a ticket?"

Comment

Working...
                        X