No announcement yet.

Gen Y less interested in driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its difficult to remember when I started driving. The first time I was pulled over, I was eleven years old. I was sitting on a phonebook, wearing an oversized trucker hat as my disguise. My six year old brother was riding shotgun that day in the '77 Cutlass two door with the anemic rocket 350. I picked up my first car at fourteen, a '67 mustang coupe with the 200 I6, because it was cheaper. My brother, cousins, daughter and nephews all loved driving my cars and trucks and jeeps with me, all of them before they were ten years old. So, I am unfamiliar with this trend, and happy of it. My daughter has her head set on an Iroc Z (I have no idea why), when she gets her license. I'm thinking it needs to be a standard shift.

Comment

Good points brought up regarding how interconnected everyone is, therefore no motivation to go anywhere. Even when I started driving gas was considered cheap at .67 cents a gallon. With the quality of video games available now I would most likely be just as useless.

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
        however i want him to get a job and ill be damned if i drop him off/pick him up from his own work.
        That's another thing. When I was a teenager, I could not wait to get an after school job. Now, there seems to be a serious lack of teenagers in the workforce.

Comment

I don't buy the "internet makes it pointless to leave the house" theory. Do teenagers not get drunk, smoke pot, street race, or just generally get into trouble anymore? You can't do that stuff at your parent's house. At least not all of it. You have to get a car so you can all tell your parents that you're going to each others houses, and then take off to somewhere that you can party. At least that's what I remember about being a teenager.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
          .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSVT View Post
            I don't buy the "internet makes it pointless to leave the house" theory. Do teenagers not get drunk, smoke pot, street race, or just generally get into trouble anymore? You can't do that stuff at your parent's house. At least not all of it. You have to get a car so you can all tell your parents that you're going to each others houses, and then take off to somewhere that you can party. At least that's what I remember about being a teenager.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
            You're right. The 17 year old across the street from me selling cocaine and stealing peoples shit out of their cars is out of the norm nowadays.

Comment

Working...
            X