No announcement yet.

Gen Y less interested in driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY GF is from Vegas and a former Mormon she didn't have a drivers license till she moved here to texas about 3 years ago. She said in vegas you ride the bus or take a cab everywhere. When we started dating I couldn't believe she didn't drive. I pushed her to get a car and a license and she has now had it for a little over 2 years, she is 33, LOL Sometimes when I ride with her I question my decision to get her driving! She still refuses to drive on the freeway and almost has a panic attack when I'm driving in tight situations on the highway.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

i started driving around the neighborhood in a 77' impala when i was 13. bought my own car with my own money when i was 15 and never looked back

Comment

My sister is going on 26 and still doesn't have a DL. My parents paid for her defensive driving and everything to get her motivated to drive. But the keyword "effort" is still seriously lacking. We always made the joke that i would be taking her to work when she was 16 and I was 12. Sure enough that's what ended up happening. I always put up a fight as I do not condone her laziness. My dad was always on my side but always told me to do it for my mother and not her. So I did..

She even bought herself a car, and that didn't even motivate herself, I guess taking a $2200 loss is okay to some people?

Her thought process is pure white trash and it aggrivates me to the point that I keep contact to a minimum as it is always some type of drama that I don't care to listen too.. But it's my sister and I'd do anything for her if she needed, but I also let her live by the "you made your bed, now sleep in it" attitude.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          My sister is going on 26 and still doesn't have a DL. My parents paid for her defensive driving and everything to get her motivated to drive. But the keyword "effort" is still seriously lacking. We always made the joke that i would be taking her to work when she was 16 and I was 12. Sure enough that's what ended up happening. I always put up a fight as I do not condone her laziness. My dad was always on my side but always told me to do it for my mother and not her. So I did..

She even bought herself a car, and that didn't even motivate herself, I guess taking a $2200 loss is okay to some people?

Her thought process is pure white trash and it aggrivates me to the point that I keep contact to a minimum as it is always some type of drama that I don't care to listen too.. But it's my sister and I'd do anything for her if she needed, but I also let her live by the "you made your bed, now sleep in it" attitude.
          pics?

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

My son didn't get his license until he was 19, and it was practically forced upon him. Even after taking driver's ed, it still took him the full 6mo before he even went to get his license after having a permit for the maximum amount of time.

Kids today really don't want to drive. They want to sit in their room on a computer or playing video games.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              pics?

god bless.
              Elvis, I will not do that do you or anyone else on this board, as it may cause temporary or permenant damage to your eye sight and possibly hearing.

Comment

I'm about to be 22, and could NOT imagine not wanting to drive on my own as soon as I could've. I grew up in a pretty big city before moving to Texas, and still could not fathom not wanting to drive. It's the first step to being out on your own.

Comment

I could see it if you lived in an urban section of a big metropolitan area. When I travel to Boston for work, I don't even bother renting a car since driving in Boston proper is such a clusterfuck. I just take the subway everywhere I need to go. However, aside from Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, and LA I can't think of any other US cities where public transportation is well-developed enough to allow you to not drive at all.

It's scary to think about the laziness of the generation behind us. If they are too lazy to go get a driver's license, I suppose showing up for work and putting in 100% effort is completely out of the question.

I will say my 14 y/o daughter talks about driving all the time and how she wants a Rustang for her first car. She's even stashing away some of her babysitting $$ to pay for it... Maybe it skips a generation?
                  - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                  1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                    They also have no intrest in learning to drive manuals.
                    I've already decided that all of my kids will be proficient at driving a manual trans before they get a license. Seeing as there are hardly any cars left with manual transmissions, I'm afraid it's a dying art but it's one they get to learn whether they want to or not. The only way to "Save the Manuals" (as Car & Driver puts it) is to teach people how to drive one and hope they enjoy it.

My Dad not only made me learn on a manual trans, he made me take my driver's test in it as well. My mom had a Camry with an auto at the time, but I wasn't allowed to use it for the test. At the time I thought it was stupid, but I thank him for it now...
                    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Good. Less idiots on the road to deal with. This person seems like she'd be in the left lane going 10mph less than the speed limit anyhow...
                      I swear people anymore drive like they're in pain. One little turn or bump and they freak the fuck out.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                        Good. Less idiots on the road to deal with. This person seems like she'd be in the left lane going 10mph less than the speed limit anyhow...
                        I swear people anymore drive like they're in pain. One little turn or bump and they freak the fuck out.
                        This shit is really starting to get on my nerves. The last three or four days have been worse than normal, and my previously low level of road rage (saved for only the most drastic of retards on the road) is rising to never-before-witnessed levels.

Comment

You have got to be careful with that. One thing that keeps me from screaming at others anymore is knowing the very fact that, even though they are in the wrong and shit gets escalated, what are witnesses going to say? They are going to say "some crazed lunatic got out of his car yelling at this poor innocent who was doing nothing wrong..." and you're the one who's going to be punished.

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                            I've already decided that all of my kids will be proficient at driving a manual trans before they get a license. Seeing as there are hardly any cars left with manual transmissions, I'm afraid it's a dying art but it's one they get to learn whether they want to or not. The only way to "Save the Manuals" (as Car & Driver puts it) is to teach people how to drive one and hope they enjoy it.

My Dad not only made me learn on a manual trans, he made me take my driver's test in it as well. My mom had a Camry with an auto at the time, but I wasn't allowed to use it for the test. At the time I thought it was stupid, but I thank him for it now...
                            my daily is a manual. at times in traffic i wish i had an auto, but in the end i am glad i got a manual over auto. how am i supposed to bump start an auto?!?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              I swear at people daily who need to slow to 1.3mph before they make a turn into a driveway or something. Holy shit man you better fucking go slower you almost rolled that piece of shit!!!!!!!!
                              Originally posted by Nash B.
                              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                                I swear at people daily who need to slow to 1.3mph before they make a turn into a driveway or something. Holy shit man you better fucking go slower you almost rolled that piece of shit!!!!!!!!
                                I find myself doing that too.

"holy fucking cow! You can turn way faster then that, FUCK!"

Or the people who take 15 minutes to reach 30mph with bumper stickers that say "back off I'm saving fuel" fuck you bitch, ride a fucking bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X