Clear All

• Anyone in Carrollton get hit?

Crime spree leaves nearly 90 vehicles damaged

by JONATHAN BETZ/ WFAA

WFAA

Posted on July 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Gallery

See all 5 photos »

CARROLLTON, Texas — With his truck window shattered, Joe McCoy is not only out of a ride, but he's out of a job for the time being.

“I’m very, very angry,” said McCoy, who — as a realtor — relies on his vehicle for his work. He’s been told a new window won’t be available until Tuesday.

“I can’t go out and show clients houses 'til I get it fixed,” he said, pointing to the shattered window. “It’s not safe driving in this condition.”

McCoy's truck was one of dozens hit by vandals in an early morning crime spree that left nearly 90 vehicles damaged across Carrollton in neighborhoods bordered by West Trinity Mills Road, North Josey Lane and Highway 121.

“Something of this amount is quite unusual,” said Carrollton police spokesman Lt. Doug Mitchell.

Dispatchers started receiving 911 calls from angry homeowners around 3 a.m. Saturday reporting their cars had been vandalized.

The damage was easy to find for arriving officers. Cars with shattered windows lined the suburban streets.

Frank Seliga didn’t even realize his daughter’s van had been hit until officers who were responding to a neighbor’s call spotted the damage and woke him up.

“There was glass all over the place and a big hole in the back window,” he said.

Police said the vandals apparently started the night lobbing eggs at parked cars. But as the evening progressed, the men got more aggressive.

“It looks as though they exhausted their supply of eggs,” Lt. Mitchell said.

Surveillance video from one victim's home captured the vandals’ work. It showed at least three men pulling up in a white mid-1990s Toyota Camry with a gold license plate frame.

The men didn't bother getting out of the car; instead, the video shows they simply leaned out the back windows, swinging away at a parked car using what appeared bo be a golf club, investigators said.

As a parting blow, the men often knocked out a side mirror. Each crime lasts just a few seconds.

“It’s just ridiculous... it caused a lot of damage,” said Adrian Resa. His family’s minivan was hit, forcing him to cancel a day of planned of activities with his five kids.

“I’ve got a large family,” he said. “This is the vehicle we use, and I guess they don’t realize that.”

Since so many cars were damaged, police emphasize that the behavior of the men in the Camry has grown beyond petty vandalism. Lt. Mitchell said it is very likely the crime will rise to the level of a third degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

“We want to try and track these folks down and hold them accountable for their behavior,” he said.

As do plenty of their victims, who cursed the crime as they swept out broken glass and opened checkbooks.

“Hopefully, they’ll catch these kids and they’ll pay the price,” said Nick Martin, who spent $135 replacing his truck’s rear window. “I want to be reimbursed.

I hope they meet the same fate that Treyvon did.

Comment

Punk ass kids

Comment

Man that sucks, bunch of punks
        -1997 Supra- mid 8 second street car
        -1993 Cobra- 700rw
        -2012 CTS-V- 9 second daily driver
        -1991 Coupe- LSA/TT/4L80 in the making
        -2007 GSXR 1000- built turbo bike

Comment

One of the very few things that pisses me off is when someone fucks with someone else's vehicle. Hopefully they get a bullet in the ass.
          Street car.

Comment

That is shitty as hell. Wharz Elvis?

Comment

Truck window broken = can't go to work. Love this bullshit

Comment

^^^ would you buy a home from a guy driving a busted up vehicle? I can't belive the police showed up to take a report usually they do that over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Armedtrigger01 View Post
                  ^^^ would you buy a home from a guy driving a busted up vehicle? I can't belive the police showed up to take a report usually they do that over the phone.
                  Agreed on the first part. I wouldn't go look at houses with a realtor who had a busted window when it's hot as balls outside...

I was at my parent's house the other night, and caught some kids egging cars. Jumped in my truck to chase them down, but they got out of the neighborhood quicker than I could. I called the police when I was trying to catch them, and they ended up finding them parked in a car wash stall a quarter mile away or so. Fucking morons were in a yellow Hummer, and had gone through at least 2 dozen eggs, and had more in the car when the police spotted them. I had to wake some poor old man up at 11:30, to tell him he might want to wash his new Benz off immediately. He ended up deciding not to press charges, but the police wrote tickets to everyone in the car. The police did come out there to file a report though, and also drove through the neighborhood to check and see how many other cars were hit.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                    If it is his front windshield, and he works in another city, then yea, that pretty much takes work out until it is fixed.

Comment

That's too damn close for comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                        like this balla ass realtor cant go get a rental for 30 bux and show some houses.

Comment

it's on the front page of wfaa, only a matter of time before someone either confesses or rats them out. cause you know one of those dumbfucks told somebody who told somebody etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Armedtrigger01 View Post
                            This is Carrollton, not Dallas. They usually don't have their hands to full.
                            They respond to most everything in person.
                            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Agreed on the first part. I wouldn't go look at houses with a realtor who had a busted window when it's hot as balls outside...

I was at my parent's house the other night, and caught some kids egging cars. Jumped in my truck to chase them down, but they got out of the neighborhood quicker than I could. I called the police when I was trying to catch them, and they ended up finding them parked in a car wash stall a quarter mile away or so. Fucking morons were in a yellow Hummer, and had gone through at least 2 dozen eggs, and had more in the car when the police spotted them. I had to wake some poor old man up at 11:30, to tell him he might want to wash his new Benz off immediately. He ended up deciding not to press charges, but the police wrote tickets to everyone in the car. The police did come out there to file a report though, and also drove through the neighborhood to check and see how many other cars were hit.

Nice work dude. My 96 GT got egged while I was DRIVING it on a major street. Couldn't get turned around quick enough to do anything about it. They threw it hard enough to spiderweb a circular spot in the paint. I was pissed.

Comment

Working...
                              X