Whats in a last name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
    I don't think the guys with the last name muhaumed, hussein, or any other form of arabic names would have a shot at getting any aerocraft position.
    I'd venture to guess that a significant portion of aerospace engineers have Arabic names. Of course, in the engineering field you're not dealing with the same level of ignorance as other professions.

Comment

I agree that it makes a difference. After 911 my office was flooded by people from the Middle East wanting to get their names changed to more American sounding names.

About 1/3 of the time I introduce myself, I get asked "so are you part of the Dalton Gang?" which is a good ice-breaker when I tell them that I am.

Comment

I've debated changing my last name because it's just has so little meaning. I'd rather start my own tree than just be a branch

Comment

Hitler sounds like a killer last name to me.
          2011 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
            I'd venture to guess that a significant portion of aerospace engineers have Arabic names. Of course, in the engineering field you're not dealing with the same level of ignorance as other professions.
            True to an extent. My ex-BIL is Egyptian, and once he got his citizenship, he changed his first name to David from Wa'el. He's a structural engineer that struggled to get interviews before the name change. Since the name change, he hasn't had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked SVO View Post
              So none of the other various screen name changes applied?

-k
              I've had this nickname since well before getting on AOL Online dial-up for the first time. Don't be a playahata.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                I've had this nickname since well before getting on AOL Online dial-up for the first time. Don't be a playahata.
                Quote The Raven, never more...

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
                  Hitler sounds like a killer last name to me.
                  My last name might as well be "sieg heil" Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                    Reminds me of the old ZZ Top song, "Mexican Blackbird" off of the Fandango album..."Let's drive that old Chrysler to Mexico, boy's..."

I tell young people all the time, to use any advantage you have to get into the door. It's a tough sonuvabitch out here.
                    I tell her all the time just to say yes, when they ask her if she speaks Spanish. But she says no....dummy
                    .....bro....

Comment

There is a basketball player with my name... i hope one day our checking/savings accounts gets mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                        Do you think your last name can destroy or make your career?

What if you were an aspiring engineer, however your name was James Hitler? Do people still carry that last name anyway?

I've watched stuff on jeffrey dahmer or charles manson, and their families hide their last name or get it changed after the infamous events.

Just recently I watched a special on the children of Hitler, two of the kids from the family of Himmler i believe decided to move to BFE new mexico ( maybe arizona ), they have no internet/connection to the outside world, and then they had themselves sterilized so they can no longer have kids.

What about the positives? Do any of you have a famous last name that you think may have gotten you treatment where you normally would not have?
                        I don't imagine Hitler would go over very well on a job application in the banking industry.
                        Originally posted by Redd View Post
                        There is a basketball player with my name... i hope one day our checking/savings accounts gets mixed up.

Hopefully it's before he retires.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

My last name is Stoner.

I think it probably hinders my chances at any job other than a smoke shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner View Post
                            My last name is Stoner.

I think it probably hinders my chances at any job other than a smoke shop.

Comment

My name:

Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I've never given it much thought...I guess I've been fortunate with the IT field that I never had to and I have a common spanish last name.

I'm sure this type of problem exists but I think there's far too many employers to really give two shits about it.

Unless we're talking about a direct son/daughter of someone famous, good or bad, I really don't see how an interviewer could be so narrow-minded to even think this way, but again...I'm sure they're out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X