Pool Cues - Where to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
    I have had my cue for 10+ years and is in 99% same shape as when I bought it.
    Any of the "nice" sticks will continue to gain value.

The Players cues I sell will not, but they are an excellent starter stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
      Laminated shafts were the latest technology a few decades ago. They were a vast improvement over the old school hard maple one piece shafts. They cut down on deflection and flex, while keeping what flex and deflection they had to a more consistent nature.

Meucci went for the flat lamination whereas most others use a pie cut lamination. Meucci's black dot, for instance, requires you to have the black dot facing up for consistency. However, the left/right flex will differ from the top/bottom flex.

The latest in technology is an improvement over the laminated.

The G-core shaft and HXT shaft are both guaranteed against warpage.

Fiberglass shafts are even better at it that wood, but there is absolutely zero resale value in them.

All of our personal sticks (McDermott) will continue to gain value, as long as we care for them properly.
      All of the fiberglass shafts I've played with played like shit. Cuetec, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        I shoot with a predator sneaky pete, a piece of shit "Fury" cue (it's pink with skulls on it) and I have a mcdermott that I break with.

Buy something like a mcdermott or viking. I would avoid anything cheaper than $200ish.
        i'm with adam...a decent $200 mcdermott or viking would be the way to go. the point of it is to become consistent...if you have a decent cue, and you take care of it, you'll get a feel for how it feels, reacts, etc and you'll become consistent with it. (if you play a lot) if i take a cue somewhere, i usually take one of my cheap vikings, and i really like the way they play. i'm just an extremely novice pool player, though...there are some sharks around here!

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
          i'm with adam...a decent $200 mcdermott or viking would be the way to go. the point of it is to become consistent...if you have a decent cue, and you take care of it, you'll get a feel for how it feels, reacts, etc and you'll become consistent with it. (if you play a lot) if i take a cue somewhere, i usually take one of my cheap vikings, and i really like the way they play. i'm just an extremely novice pool player, though...there are some sharks around here!
          Listen to the first part of this guy's post, but ignore the last bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            I have had my cue for 10+ years and is in 99% same shape as when I bought it. I doubt it's worth more than what I paid for it though. lol
            They actually have a black book on pool cues, similar to the black book on cars.

Comment

Buy a Schick!

Comment

Any of the "nice" sticks will continue to gain value.

The Players cues I sell will not, but they are an excellent starter stick.
                My cue is by no means professional quality but it is a nice cue. It does everything I need it to do and never had any problems hitting straight, applying English or anything of the like. Ones skill will outweigh a cues performance any day of the week though. I agree with you that the perfect beginner cue would be around $200ish. I didn't buy my first cue until I was 16 and was able to run tables on a occasion at that point. Granted I haven't played in years and years now I am just a dried up newb.
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                  All of the fiberglass shafts I've played with played like shit. Cuetec, etc.
                  If you've never shot with a wood shaft and learned how to play on fiberglass (and actually got good), then you would wonder why people still use wood.

I can't stand to shoot with them. The feel literally makes me want to break the stick in half with every shot.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                    i'm just an extremely novice pool player, though...there are some sharks around here!
                    LOL, looking for a game?
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

If you've never shot with a wood shaft and learned how to play on fiberglass (and actually got good), then you would wonder why people still use wood.

I can't stand to shoot with them. The feel literally makes me want to break the stick in half with every shot.
                      The pool hall that I spent much of my time in as a young'n had an endless supply of new Cuetec house cues, they also had quite a few local shooters who played with fiberglass cues. I absolutely hate them, always have and I've played hundreds if not thousands of games with them.

Comment

I recommend any cue, as long as it has a screw on (replaceable) tip. Never can tell when you may need to change tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Ask Rosco...
                          Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          I recommend any cue, as long as it has a screw on (replaceable) tip. Never can tell when you may need to change tips.
                          I knew he would have the best answer on this subject!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I knew he would have the best answer on this subject!
                            Bitches love screw on tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                              Bitches love screw on tips.

My game has gotten way more consistant since you sold me on switching to screw on tips.

Comment

I use a Meucci with a red dot shaft and Moori medium/hard tip.
                                Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                                dont downshift!!
                                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                                X