What do dealerships do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
    Sewell Lexus is still trying to close out hail damage on a storm from year ago. They may make money on the repairs but it is taking a long time get paid.
    Just my general knowledge of the industry. I talk to dealer GM's every day, and they usually like to brag about how much money they made from a hail storm, contrary to popular belief.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

James Wood and Classic Chevy both have large canopies over their cars. I wonder how effective they are at protecting the inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Just my general knowledge of the industry. I talk to dealer GM's every day, and they usually like to brag about how much money they made from a hail storm, contrary to popular belief.
        It generally is a good thing I guess. My mother works in the accounting dept at Sewell and she is still fighting for money for each stock number that was damaged.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          Most will do what they can to get their "expensive" inventory into the shop area if they have one, or put into the showroom. My dad works for Land Rover of Dallas, with this last hail storm they had 30-40 cars hit, they have a parking garage with 2 covered levels and a good deal of shop space, along with 2 covered service drives, they just couldn't get them all under cover fast enough.

When I was working for Fourwheels Autogroup, at Bonham Chrysler, The owner had all kinds of collectors cars or big money exotics that we had to shuffle into covered areas when storms would blow in.
          Who the fuck stores "collector cars or big money exotics" outside?

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            It generally is a good thing I guess. My mother works in the accounting dept at Sewell and she is still fighting for money for each stock number that was damaged.
            Right, but those cars are already sold, correct? Generally the method is get $4000 in damage, discount car $2000, pocket the rest.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

insurance adjusters come to the lot and inspect the inventory and will settle on a total amount of damage, to which the dealer will use to write down the cost they have in the vehicle... but not the full amount of the settlement. so when it is all said and done the dealership will turn a profit from a hail storm.

most of the time when we worked deals that the customer wanted the hail repaired, a higher cost was used than what the dealers discounted repair rate was, so the dealer won again.

Comment

Originally posted by beech72 View Post
                insurance adjusters come to the lot and inspect the inventory and will settle on a total amount of damage, to which the dealer will use to write down the cost they have in the vehicle... but not the full amount of the settlement. so when it is all said and done the dealership will turn a profit from a hail storm.

most of the time when we worked deals that the customer wanted the hail repaired, a higher cost was used than what the dealers discounted repair rate was, so the dealer won again.
                Exactly, did you work F&I?

Comment

Nope just sales

Comment

In service we keep all our cars on the roof. So that means we have cars worth 200/300k on the roof at all times. When a storm is coming we pack all service cars in the shop. Sales packs new cars onto the second floor above our shop. On service cars we try not to have to call the client and tell them their car got damaged during the storm. It did happen once and I heard it cost about 100k in damage that the dealer ate. No insurance claim was made because of the amount of hassel it would have taken and rates going up.
                    Originally posted by Marisa
                    we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Classic Chevrole where I work at has insurance I think, and they also have car covers on the lot. The only part of the dealership that dosent have any covers is the Thompson Fleet Department, I dont know why they don't. This is Texas
                      Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                      Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

really....the nicer of the cars at my dealer get put in our shop.....can fit close to 70-100 cars in our shops.

base models get to weather the storm.....then hail sale next week after on them, lol.
                        Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Porsche, we put them bumper to bumper and climed out the windows to keep them all inside. We broke down a few cubicles on the show room one night to get more in.
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                          X