Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife wants to go to school.... Questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gripenfelter View Post
    LOL...it takes 150 credited college hours to sit for the exam to get your CPA plus you have work under a CPA for 1 year. A CPA would laff at $50-60k a year unless they were straight out of college trying for Big 4 experience.

With kids, Big 4 work doesn't lend itself to a happy home life and is a joke in itself.

Nursing is the only thing I can think of that would allow 1-2 years of school and make somewhere close to that with no experience, maybe.
    Well to be a dfwmustangs baller you only have to call yourself a CPA, drive fancy cars, brag about your big house, and then be called out for not being a real CPA.

It was more of a joke referencing past times on the site.
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      No, He means a Certified certified public accountant.
      Double certification FTW.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by gripenfelter View Post
        LOL...it takes 150 credited college hours to sit for the exam to get your CPA plus you have work under a CPA for 1 year. A CPA would laff at $50-60k a year unless they were straight out of college trying for Big 4 experience.

With kids, Big 4 work doesn't lend itself to a happy home life and is a joke in itself.

Nursing is the only thing I can think of that would allow 1-2 years of school and make somewhere close to that with no experience, maybe.
        Join date of 2002 and you still don't get it ... Astounding.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          You should only need a join date of 2011 to get that one.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
            Well to be a dfwmustangs baller you only have to call yourself a CPA, drive fancy cars, brag about your big house, and then be called out for not being a real CPA.

It was more of a joke referencing past times on the site.
            Ahh.... yea sorry didn't catch the joke, completely forgot about that.

Comment

Forgot about it....

Comment

There's two things you don't buy your wife, and that's TITS and an EDUCATION. Trust me on this.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                  this is what we are afraid of... any advice for helping get selected? Getting in at a dental office with experience would help I guess? Do you know how many people are selected each time, and how many apply?
                  The only advice she received from the counselor was to go work in a dental office for a while, but that came after she wasn't selected. I don't know how much that helps, or what else to recommend, other than trying to do it in a smaller community where there aren't as many applicants.

Like I told her, why pigeon-hole yourself into one job like that? Why not just get a generic degree and see what good-paying jobs are available when the time comes, and choose from those? The dental hygiene/rad tech/nurse programs seem too specific, in my opinion, unless that is really her dream. What if she goes through all of that and ends up hating being a dental hygienist in a couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                    You should only need a join date of 2011 to get that one.
                    Well also referencing general board sarcasm/humor as a whole.
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

It made me laff as well...
                      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                      -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                        My girl took all the necessary courses to get into the dental hygienist program at TCC, made straight As, and still did not get selected. The year before it was the exact same thing with the rad tech program. It's a fucking crock. The career counselors (at the Northeast campus) were absolutely no help. They finally told her she would have a better shot if she already had experience working in a dentist's office as an admin or entry level assistant, but that doesn't pay shit. Now she's decided to be a teacher instead.

She works her ass off to juggle work and school. I could never see myself doing that, but props to your wife for wanting to achieve something new.
                        Welcome to the real world..people dont realize the competition right now with people fleeing other jobs looking for the "easy" way out. When I applied to nursing school, 450 people applied for 50 spots

Anything medical field is in that realm but it it NOT realistic to even come close to being done in 2 years. If it was that easy, everyone would do it...wait, they are already trying to. Nursing, rad tech, respiratory, dental hygenist, etc are all 2 year degrees but VERY competitive. Stereotypically, you have 5-8 classes of prerequisites which takes 2 semesters, then 2 years of classes and co-requisites to finish the degree, then a state/national certification test.

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                        My wife and I have been married 12 years now. We are both 32/33 years old and have 2 children. Because we started our family so young, she missed out on going to school and really having a real "career". She has been lucky and had decent jobs over the years, in fact she is currently a manager at the Stockyards in ft. worth. but its not great pay and its her dream to go to school and become something..

that being said, she is wanting to get into school and start something ASAP. We are wanting something where she can go to school for 1-2 years and come out making around $50-$60k a year.

Have been looking online at different options and came up with a Dental Hygienist. Looks like she could go to TCC for 2 years and get certified. Only problem is class spaces are limited and if she is not selected, we would have to wait an entire year to try again. Time isnt really on our side if she cant get in the first year or so...

Other option we found is a respiratory therapist. Schooling seems about the same and salary about the same. However, same deal... limited class space and may not get selected.

That being said, any of you know or have friends/family in similar situation? Ideally in a perfect world, we would like something where should could do some of the classwork online, schooling only 1-2 years, easy to get accepted/enroll and come out making $50-60k salary

any ideas?? thanks ahead of time
                        You can try any of the medical field jobs but realize there is competition for school, then competition after school. I graduated nursing school last year where the number of applicants keeps growing and the acceptance is the same. Then when you get done with school, pass your NCLEX, most hospitals are not wanting to hire new graduates because they dont know anything. The same goes with many of the other 2 year degrees. Also, they are pushing everyone to get their 4 year degrees (bridge over) so they can get magnet status. Hospitals are not hiring people unless they guarantee to start their bachelors degree within 6 months. Fields like radiology tech, MRI tech, etc are very competitive as there are tons of unemployed rad techs. This is a field where people with a certificate are doing the same job as someone with an associates. Having certificate based people are diluting chances of people with degrees to get jobs. Often certificate people will have lots of experience where new graduates with degrees get bypassed.

The only advice she received from the counselor was to go work in a dental office for a while, but that came after she wasn't selected. I don't know how much that helps, or what else to recommend, other than trying to do it in a smaller community where there aren't as many applicants.

Like I told her, why pigeon-hole yourself into one job like that? Why not just get a generic degree and see what good-paying jobs are available when the time comes, and choose from those? The dental hygiene/rad tech/nurse programs seem too specific, in my opinion, unless that is really her dream. What if she goes through all of that and ends up hating being a dental hygienist in a couple of years?
                        There is no secret into getting into these programs. They are GPA/test based or points based. You get ranked on an excel spreadsheet you they pick from the top of the applicants. To be competitive for most programs you need a 4.0 in ALL your prereqs. On the TCC side, people often retake Anatomy and Physiology I and II multiple times to receive an A.
                        Last edited by 8mpg; 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I've heard anecdotes that are similar to jluv's regarding dental hygienist and respiratory therapist programs. Makes sense to me that supply would far exceed demand when you can earn $60k after a 2 year program ... You'd need to be at the top of your peer group. Maybe look at paralegal or court reporting. I knew a girl who was pretty stupid and in court reporting school. On a side note, I have never seen a job that lists an associates degree as a requirement. I didn't even know for sure what an associates degree was until a few years ago. Not saying they aren't valuable per se, just saying I've never personally seen the value add.

Comment

I've seen several jobs list an Associates as a requirement, but they are usually somewhat generic jobs, and I think the hiring company is using it to weed out the moron quotient that applies. A lot of City jobs seem to be going this route.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              There is no secret into getting into these programs. They are GPA/test based or points based. You get ranked on an excel spreadsheet you they pick from the top of the applicants. To be competitive for most programs you need a 4.0 in ALL your prereqs. On the TCC side, people often retake Anatomy and Physiology I and II multiple times to receive an A.
                              She made A's in all of her courses including those, chemistry, microbiology, etc, and still didn't make the cut. It ended up being a waste of a lot of hard work, money, time, etc. No doubt it's insanely competitive, and she had to learn that the hard way.

Comment

She made A's in all of her courses including those, chemistry, microbiology, etc, and still didn't make the cut. It ended up being a waste of a lot of hard work, money, time, etc. No doubt it's insanely competitive, and she had to learn that the hard way.
                                That does suck. Sorry to hear. Often working in the field will help your application. If she has all those classes done, has she thought about nursing? The easiest way for her to do it would be jump a job at a local hospital. Most offer their own group of nursing students that goes through El Centro in Dallas. You can be any employee in the hospital from housekeeping to a patient care tech. They only select from hospital employees. Its almost a guarantee in into nursing. Also, a guaranteed job

Comment

Working...
                                X