Ponytail cut results in charges against judge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponytail cut results in charges against judge

A mom who felt "intimidated" when a juvenile court judge offered to reduce her teenage daughter's sentence if she agreed to cut off the 13-year-old's ponytail in court has filed a complaint against him.

Valerie Bruno of Price, Utah, filed a formal complaint with the Utah Judicial Conduct Commission against Scott Johansen, a judge in the 7th District, Utah's Deseret News reports. In May, Johansen ordered Bruno's daughter, Kaytlen Lopan, to serve 30 days in detention and perform 276 hours of community service for cutting off a 3-year-old's hair.

According to police, Lopan and her 11-year-old friend "endeared themselves" to the 3-year-old girl at McDonald's in Price, then used scissors to "cut several inches of hair from the little girl's head."

"She definitely needed to be punished for what had happened," Bruno told Deseret News. "But I never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment."

[Related: School sunscreen ban leaves student severely sunburned]

Johansen offered to reduce the sentence to 126 hours of community service if her Bruno cut off her daughter's ponytail in the courtroom.

"I'm going to give you this option: I will cut that by 150 hours if you want to cut her hair right now," Johansen said in court.

"Me, cut her hair?" Bruno asked.

"Right now," the judge said. "I'll go get a pair of scissors and we'll whack that ponytail off."

Bruno reluctantly agreed.

"I felt very intimidated," Bruno said. "An eye for an eye, that's not how you teach kids right from wrong."

[Related: Police rescue malnourished girl from closet]

According to the Associated Press, Mindy Moss, the mother of the 3-year-old, approved the sentence and "even spoke up during the hearing when she felt Bruno had not cut off enough of her daughter's hair." Johansen told Bruno to cut the ponytail "all the way 'to the rubber band.'"

Johansen ordered the friend of Bruno's daughter--who helped cut the 3-year-old's hair--to "have her hair cut as short as his." The friend, though, was "allowed to go to a salon to have it done, then return to the courtroom to ensure that the new hairstyle met with the judge's approval."

A mom who felt "intimidated" when a juvenile court judge offered to reduce her teenage daughter's sentence if she agreed to cut off the 13-year-old's ponytail in court has filed a complaint against him. Valerie Bruno of Price, Utah, filed a formal complaint with the Utah Judicial Conduct Commission against Scott Johansen, a judge in [...]

Edit: Evidently, this 'little girl' also had charges put on her for threatening to mutilate another kid at school and harassing them by email and text
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Why is this dumb shit in a court room?

Comment

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but what charges have been filed against the judge?

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Sounds like he should have went and got a brass knuckles for the mom, not scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Why is this dumb shit in a court room?
          Maybe because you can't just go around cutting random kids hair at Mcdonalds for the heck of it?

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
            Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but what charges have been filed against the judge?

Stevo
            Eh, charge, complaint. She bitched about agreeing to a punishment

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
              Maybe because you can't just go around cutting random kids hair at Mcdonalds for the heck of it?

So let's prosectue an 13 year old child for doing a dumb childish thing? How about whooping her little butt and taking some privileges away? All we're teaching them is that everything needs to be litigious. Fucking idiotic.

Comment

Oh, and the little girl's hair (the 3 year old) was down to her waist. These two hooligans cut it up to her chin

Comment

So let's prosectue an 13 year old child for doing a dumb childish thing? How about whooping her little butt and taking some privileges away? All we're teaching them is that everything needs to be litigious. Fucking idiotic.
                  Prosecute? She got community service and a haircut. However that's assault with a deadly weapon (scissors are FAR deadlier than a fry)

Comment

Shit, forcibly cutting someone's hair without their permission is assault these days...

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Should have forgot the detention/community service and just made the girl shave her head.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                        Shit, forcibly cutting someone's hair without their permission is assault these days...

Stevo
                        Thats assault any day. If I was at Mcdonalds, and some kids cut my 3 year old daughters hair while she was in the playground, I would be pissed.

Comment

So I can just walk up to you and give you or your kid a buzz cut, good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                            So I can just walk up to you and give you or your kid a buzz cut, good to know.

Sounds like you've got the reading comprehension of a 13 year old so knock yourself out.

Comment

Oh dear, cutting hair off is now assault!

I like how the judge turned the courtroom into a Jerry Springer episode.

What a complete fucking waste of time and resources.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X