Impromptu International flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impromptu International flights

Somewhat of a vague question that probably will beget some vague answers, but has anyone on here just popped into any airport in Europe and booked a flight back the same day? I'm working some logistics and due to various vagaries I'm not sure how fast or slow I will be moving through this trip, which makes the exit point a little difficult to book. Is it usually more expensive to fly this way? Think the flights would be full? Just some general answers would be helpful at this point, though at the end of the day I suppose anything could happen.

Aside from the flights being astronomical, it's possible. You just have to have a passport and you're good to go. Hell, you can go to the ticket counter and ask for the soonest flight to X and check your luggage. We did it flying from Korea to Japan.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      Somewhat of a vague question that probably will beget some vague answers, but has anyone on here just popped into any airport in Europe and booked a flight back the same day? I'm working some logistics and due to various vagaries I'm not sure how fast or slow I will be moving through this trip, which makes the exit point a little difficult to book. Is it usually more expensive to fly this way? Think the flights would be full? Just some general answers would be helpful at this point, though at the end of the day I suppose anything could happen.
      It depends on how full the flight is amongst other things, but is most definitely possible. I know a few coworkers that have done this (not necessarily Europe though) but more or less ASIA and India.

I had a coworker who found out his wife was going into labor while in Malaysia, he caught a ride to the airport and booked for the next flight out, business class. If I had to guess that would have been close to a 12-15k trip one way. Point being, if you can get a flight that late notice, be prepared to pay up regardless if you are flying business or economy.
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

12 grand? Gotta be fucking shitting me, that is insane. Maybe I need to do a little more planning. lol

Comment

It would cost $3,857.87 to fly from France to DFW. No flights leaving until tomorrow.

Comment

12 grand? Gotta be fucking shitting me, that is insane. Maybe I need to do a little more planning. lol
            Note, that is BUSINESS. I was just pointing that out because you are going to pay extra regardless where on the plane you fly.
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Oh yeah, for me to take off from DFW to Auckland, NZ was almost 3. If you're going to be flying internationally, or at all, and don't plan ahead, you're going to be dumping some loot to do it
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Well, I guess a mad dash for an airport at the last minute can be as adventurous as not knowing where you going to end up. Thanks for the advice gents, looks like I need to make an exit point.

Comment

You can, but as noted above, you will pay out the ass... Probably $2500 minimum (half full flight, coach class, etc) and that is a best case scenario.

Comment

I would work in an extra day per major stop and book the airline that way. If you have an extra day, cool. Relax and mill about. Get sidetracked? Cool, you've got a day in the bank for such an occasion.

That's how we did our trip through Europe when I was 17.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

My buddy paid 3500 ish to fly home from Germany when his grandfather passed, walked up and asked for a ticket.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I never understood WHY they charged more the closer you get to departure. I always figured they would want people to fill their seats at cost then to go empty, but that's not true.

This is more true for international flights but they are always estimating the weight of passengers/baggage verse how much cargo/goods/mail etc they can fit on the plane. If 10 days before traveling there are 50 seats left they estimate XX amount of cargo, but if those seats are filled last minute, they have to reduce the amount they bring on board.

Comment

My Wife and I's flight to Rome and leaving out of Athens coming back would have cost us just shy of $15k, and that is booking a year in advance.

It is business class, but 10 hours in the air...requires a lie flat seat.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            I would work in an extra day per major stop and book the airline that way. If you have an extra day, cool. Relax and mill about. Get sidetracked? Cool, you've got a day in the bank for such an occasion.

That's how we did our trip through Europe when I was 17.

That's the thing, there will only be about three major stops, then a shit ton of "hit and run" style stops like Danny and I did with Bonneville. I'll also be relying on trains for the most part. I've had dick for luck trying to find a rental co in Europe that will let you return a rental car in a different country.

Comment

come out to the fox tonight, Eric. I'll tell ya all about our trip.
                              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                              dont downshift!!
                              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X