iphone tracker app falsely pointing to my address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iphone tracker app falsely pointing to my address

Anyone have experience with any of the Iphone tracker apps? Have you had accuracy issues? We just got back from an 8 day vacation in Ruidoso. The night before we got back a police officer showed up at my house at 1am saying they had tracked a lost/stolen iphone to my house. We had a friend staying at the house taking care of our pets so they were here when the officer came by that night. The house sitter didn't get to our house until after 11pm that evening but the phone was already showing at my house early that evening.

Some girl had laid her phone down at Super Target and left the store without it. She came back later looking for it and it was gone. She activated the tracker app using her boyfriends phone and it shows my address as the location. The officer said he was told the tracking was accurate to within 3ft. He specifically asked about my car in the driveway because the app was showing the phone dead center in my driveway. My car hadn't moved in 7 days so obviously it wasn't in the car. That officer dismissed it and filed an incident report.

We have since gotten a phone call at 2:30am from a friend of the girl who lost her phone saying they know we have the phone and they will keep calling until we turn it over. The kid that called is actually an old highschool aquintance of my daughter who recognized our address and had my daughters contact info. About 10min before that phone call my neighbors doorbell rings and he comes out to find his house teepee'd. So we call the PD again and they send another officer out. She asks us to call the number back and the officer talks to the individual who called earlier. The officer tells him to stop harassing us, it wasn't his phone so he had no business being involved, the tracker apps are inaccurate, they have now been to the house 3 times and are convinced the phone is not here. The punk then asks for the officers name and badge number and proceeds to argue that her 3 digit badge number is incorrect because all badge numbers are 6 digits. This has become a major hassle over total bullshit. What options do I have to end this crap?

I am shocked that the PD will waste time on a call like this where the 1.99 app is directing them to a phone that was originally lost and not stolen. I am worried now about retaliation because I am positive they were here last night and teepee'd the neighbors house.

Ask Jetfast.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Do you have a wifi connection at your home? Try disconnecting it. The service uses a combination of WiFi, Cell, and GPS data to find the location. Maybe that will be enough to show the phone elsewhere.
      - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
      1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Stay up late with a shotgun. That'll stop any kids from coming to do something to your house.

Comment

But its a computer and they never fail!

I'd find out the info of who had the phone and hand it to a lawyer to file a restraining order and or press harrassment charges.

Comment

You could post the harassing phone number...

Comment

Come on man, just give me back my phone and this will all end
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Call them back and tell them to come over to discuss the phone. When they show up have a face to face discussion about how the app is wrong, you don't have the phone. If need be have a shovel, plastic and duct tape on hand for them to glimpse at. Don't threaten them, just "Oh that shovel? I had to dig a whole. Oh that plastic and duct tape? You never know when you will have to wrap up a package to keep fluids inside."

"So, do you still want to keep bothering us about a phone that is not here?"
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Just give the phone back :-)

Comment

Crazy shit. Stupid phone-losing assholes. I'd tell them their phone sucked and I ran it over with my car. Maybe they could find an app to prevent that? Or an app to harass someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                      Call them back and tell them to come over to discuss the phone. When they show up have a face to face discussion about how the app is wrong, you don't have the phone. If need be have a shovel, plastic and duct tape on hand for them to glimpse at. Don't threaten them, just "Oh that shovel? I had to dig a whole. Oh that plastic and duct tape? You never know when you will have to wrap up a package to keep fluids inside."

"So, do you still want to keep bothering us about a phone that is not here?"
                      LMAO. good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                        But its a computer and they never fail!

I'd find out the info of who had the phone and hand it to a lawyer to file a restraining order and or press harrassment charges.
                        Restraining order won't do anything, and I doubt there's enough for a protective order.

Comment

I called the kid back and chewed him a new asshole. He changed his tune completely when I was on the phone with him. He couldn't stop stuttering and apologizing. All the neighbors were made aware of the situation and now that the Euless PD are involved it would be stupid to do anything. The Euless Officer told me there was not much they could do unless we were actually threatened or property was damaged.

Comment

I wonder just how accurate the tracing is. I wonder if it's tied to the same technology as EXIF data in cell phone pics. I've turned mine off finally, but I remember testing it, and I had taken pics at One Arts Plaza in downtown, and the GPS coordinates in the EXIF data had me on the other side of Woodall Rogers almost in the State-Thomas area. I've looked at another carrier, I think it was Sprint on a few pics and the GPS coordinates were dead on accurate down to the address of a house the pics were taken.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                              I wonder just how accurate the tracing is.
                              I'm sure it could be wrong on occasion, but in my experience it's pretty damn accurate. I have it turned on my phone and my wife's, and every time we've checked it, it's been dead on.
                              DamonH

Comment

Working...
                              X