Tarantula hawk....NOPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantula hawk....NOPE

I had one of these buzzing around the garage yesterday. I thought it was a cicada killer, but nope, it was a tarantula hawk. I am not sure what is scarier, this thing or wondering if tarantula's actually live around here. I am guessing it is all the wolf spiders that this type eats.

"Sting

The tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation. However the sting, particularly of Pepsis formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, though the intense pain only lasts for about 3 minutes.[3] Commenting on his own experience, one researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.” (He describes the sting of a Bullet ant as pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel.) " ....

Kill it with fire
    Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

I would pay good money to see someone accept a sting from a tarantula wasp, in person.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        I would pay good money to see someone accept a sting from a tarantula wasp, in person.
        I nominate Steve.

Comment

Why??

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Why??
            why what?
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            dont downshift!!

Comment

I didnt think we had tarantula's until we found this at work in McKinney.
              "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
              http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
              Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
              http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
              www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
              sigpic

Comment

Tarantulas are pretty harmless. One of the mild bites of any venomous animal.

Tarantula Hawks can apparently TIG weld with their stingers.
                dont downshift!!

Comment

why what?
                  It's like when an 18yr old black thug rapes a 98yr old white widow...why? Why does shit like this exist? I have no desire to encounter an A-10 that kills tarantulas.

Comment

Tarantulas are pretty harmless. One of the mild bites of any venomous animal.

Tarantula Hawks can apparently TIG weld with their stingers.
                    It's like when an 18yr old black thug rapes a 98yr old white widow...why? Why does shit like this exist? I have no desire to encounter an A-10 that kills tarantulas.

I have launched my lunch across the room. Well done, gentleman.

Comment

It doesn't kill the tarantula. The sting stuns the tarantula and paralyzes it, so that the wasp can drag it to her lair, where she lays an egg in it's abdomen. The baby hatches and eats the spider from the inside-out, using it as a living food source.
                      dont downshift!!

Comment

How much money is good money? I was reading that, and thinking to myself. "Self, we should prolly try that, jsut to see how it feels"

Comment

It doesn't kill the tarantula. The sting stuns the tarantula and paralyzes it, so that the wasp can drag it to her lair, where she lays an egg in it's abdomen. The baby hatches and eats the spider from the inside-out, using it as a living food source.
                          Ya that is much better.
                          Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                            How much money is good money? I was reading that, and thinking to myself. "Self, we should prolly try that, jsut to see how it feels"
                            $50. The pain apparently only lasts 3ish minutes, but it's supposed to be absolutely, breath-takingly vivid.
                            dont downshift!!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                              Ya that is much better.
                              Isn't it?! LOL!
                              dont downshift!!

Comment

Working...
                              X