Electrical Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Folks

Trying to get my current Autometer fuel gauge work with a '95 sending unit, only problem is the gauge is for 0-90 ohm (empty-full) and the stock sender is 20-140 ohm (empty-full). So, I need to decrease the load by ~20ohm all the time (I know it'll read full for while, but I am more concerned with empty).

Is there something like a resistor I can wire in-line that would reduce the ohm load of the wire?

Fuck if I know, but see if this helps! If my Dad didn't live in Colorado, I'd ask him, he does this electircal shit in his sleep.

Electrical circuits influence nearly every facet of your life. Artificial lighting, kitchen stoves and automobiles are all electrical products -- and that’s without even thinking of the Internet, computers and cellphones. Electrical circuits are particularly practical because they work according to consistent physical ...

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
      Trying to get my current Autometer fuel gauge work with a '95 sending unit, only problem is the gauge is for 0-90 ohm (empty-full) and the stock sender is 20-140 ohm (empty-full). So, I need to decrease the load by ~20ohm all the time (I know it'll read full for while, but I am more concerned with empty).

Is there something like a resistor I can wire in-line that would reduce the ohm load of the wire?
      20ohm resistor in line from the sending unit to the gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
        or send the gauge back to autometer to get it re-calibrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
          that would increase the ohm load it is seeing, i want 20 ohms (empty via stock sender) to show 0 ohm at the gauge (empty). if i put a 20 ohm resistor inline it'd have 40 ohms of resistance at empty (thus reading around mid way full).

Comment

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
            or send the gauge back to autometer to get it re-calibrated.
            prob be just as cost efficient to buy a new gauge. if it's something i can pick up at radioshack and wire in that would be the easiest solution

Comment

Adding a 20ohm in line will just make the sender look like 40-160ohm.

The only way to reduce a resistance would be to add a smaller resistor in parallel, but this wouldn't work for you. Adding a 10ohm(2W) resistor parallel will make 20ohm look like 10ohm, which is better, but 140ohm will look like 17.5 ohm to the gauge.
              Men have become the tools of their tools.
              -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Adding a resistor in series will increase the resistance. Adding a resistor in parallel will decrease the resistance.

Adding a resistor in parallel would work great if you weren't dealing with a variable resistance (20-140 ohms). For example, you could add a 260 ohm resistor in parallel and the gauge would see a 90 ohm load and read exactly full. Unfortunately, as the tank empties the offset isn't linear. By the time the tank was empty, the gauge would still be reading 18 ohms and you'd be pushing the car to the nearest gas station. Likewise, anything you do to reduce resistance when the tank is empty will make it very inaccurate everywhere else in the sweep.

Having the gauge recalibrated and/or using a different sending unit are your best options.
                - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

pick up a universal for around $40 and be done with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                    pick up a universal for around $40 and be done with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
                    universal what?

Comment

I was being sarcastic as I have just as much electrical experience as say DON has in slam dunk competitions

Comment

Post this in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                          universal what?
                          Universal fuel sending unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            Post this in the garage.
                            Insanity!!

Comment

Working...