Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dislike my company...love the job, don't like the company.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is way too damn short to be miserable. Working for a company that is a pile of shit makes any situation bad. Leverage your experience and get out.

Comment

Worked for GE and that about sums it up. Loved what I did for a living, but hated the company and the shitty pay. Left there 6 years ago and while I don't like what I'm doing quite as much, it's definitely tolerable and the doubling of my pay is well worth it.
      - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
      1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

I loved my employer and the work, though getting drug off to do random BS that isn't in my job description sucked a big one
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
          Everyone already knows I work for HP. IMO we were much better off as EDS but that old CEO was a punk ass bitch that spent his days setting the company up for sale.

Anyways, HP is a bureaucratic monstrosity. It takes for fuckin ever to get anything done. I put in a request to have some very minor switch port changes done TWO MONTHS ago. They will finally do it next week. All they are doing is changing the port speed. They won't even be taking an outage for it. And that just scratches the surface.

Meg Whitman seems to be a pretty smart cookie and she is attacking that bureaucracy but it is a real up hill fight for her. She has to fix the fuckups of TWO former CEO's. One was a cost cutting jackass that didn't re-invest in the company. The other was just a flat out fuckin' moron. She's going to be laying off or giving early retirement to 25k people over the next couple of years. IMO that may help if they really do cut out the bureaucracy but I'm not so sure they are targeting the right people..

But then again, I do love my job. I work from home. I've had several very successful project rescues. I've gotten to the point where they call me when shit hits the fan because I can get'er done. My boss is a pretty cool dude and the boss above him is just as cool.
          I thought you left hp for a higher paying job?

Comment

Eh, my only complaint is my pay. I am paid well, but not nearly as much as what my peers are being paid.

The company itself is fine. I have my benefits and what not and besides my salary I have no complaints. Oh, and they just mentioned no one can fly business anymore, not even the CEO. We will see how that goes.

My job is long, stressful, and requires a lot of hours at times. If you are acustomed to 10 hour days or less then it probably isn't for you.
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
              Maybe took a position in a different department within the same company?

I love my job (most days), and love the company I work for, and most of the people I work with. I am trying to get this one new guy fired, but he's fucking worthless. I've got some issues, but they aren't too damaging, and it wouldn't be any different anywhere else in my field. I will say, if some things don't happen over the next 12-18 months, I'll be pursuing other opportunities. But my boss already knows that, and he also knows I just turned down a position making close to double what I make now. He knows what my goal is, and he knows I won't accept anything less than my goal. I've been so happy and content here, I can't even imagine working for a company I hated, or doing something I hated.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Maybe took a position in a different department within the same company?

I love my job (most days), and love the company I work for, and most of the people I work with. I am trying to get this one new guy fired, but he's fucking worthless. I've got some issues, but they aren't too damaging, and it wouldn't be any different anywhere else in my field. I will say, if some things don't happen over the next 12-18 months, I'll be pursuing other opportunities. But my boss already knows that, and he also knows I just turned down a position making close to double what I make now. He knows what my goal is, and he knows I won't accept anything less than my goal. I've been so happy and content here, I can't even imagine working for a company I hated, or doing something I hated.
                If someone offered me double what I make now there would be no way in hell I would stay, unless it was a short term gig.
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I love my industry, love my job, we have a great product, so I guess I love what I do.

With any job there are cons, and mine has several, but when you weigh it out, I'm pretty (well, somewhat) content with what I have. I'm not paid enough but still paid well. I won't jump ship unless something great with vision and leadership comes along.

Comment

Every company I have worked for has had to deal with serious ethical or legal blowups at one point or another in my tenure.

My old boss at the City of Southlake was using city resources to help cheat on his wife and do some weird child support money shifting, my old boss in OKC was stealing from the company he said "he owned" (he didnt, was just given the company to run), violating health laws(we wernt compliant), and said we werent sending work overseas to our own faces, and our customers ( we were). My old company in NRH was investigated several times for unethical practices.

That being said, I loved the company at my last job, and -loved- my job. Too bad the President had to can 25 people on her way out the door trying to save her job.

Unfortunately, I have never really worked for someone who has been worthy to look up to in ...well..ever.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                      If someone offered me double what I make now there would be no way in hell I would stay, unless it was a short term gig.
                      Some people value different things in life. I don't want to be on the road 80%+ of the time. I want to see my kids grow up, and be actively involved. If I didn't have kids, it would be different. I also have security were I am, and will be a minority partner by the end of the year (so I'm told).

There's also the reality that ANY job has potential to be short term, regardless of intent. The position is a national account manager with a company that hasn't had the best reputation in the past. I would have had to review and likely change representation all across the US, and drive new sales with a less than ideal company reputation. It would have been a great challenge, an I don't min some travel. But I didn't want to be gone constantly, miss games, birthdays, etc.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        drive new sales with a less than ideal company reputation
                        Nail in the coffin for me.... I'll never do that again.

Comment

I really enjoy my job and the people I work with are great, but the folks that run the company just seem to make bad decisions. For years we've had one round of layoffs after the other and the stock price just continues to drop. It's been sad to see a lot of good people lose their jobs when the business we're in can be plenty profitable with sound management.
                          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                            Yea, I didn't give a follow up on that until someone coincidentally brought that old thread back up..

I was wondering if any of you might have a suggestion on this. As I stated last Friday, I got a new job. Today I'm going to give my notice. The challenge is that I work from home. My boss is in Tennessee and his boss is in Michigan. None of them are reachable by phone this morning. I think it is important to mention

Cliffs notes: HP made a counter offer and gave me a large retention bonus. I also got more control over the work I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                              Nail in the coffin for me.... I'll never do that again.
                              That's where i was at a few years back. It was only till after i resigned did a few people approach me and told me why we were losing some contracts and bids. No one wanted to deal with our CEO's games like double billing.

Very frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                                Yea, I didn't give a follow up on that until someone coincidentally brought that old thread back up..

I was wondering if any of you might have a suggestion on this. As I stated last Friday, I got a new job. Today I'm going to give my notice. The challenge is that I work from home. My boss is in Tennessee and his boss is in Michigan. None of them are reachable by phone this morning. I think it is important to mention

Cliffs notes: HP made a counter offer and gave me a large retention bonus. I also got more control over the work I do.
                                Kick ass, I was thinking wow that didnt last long haha
                                congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X