Phone books. Thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone books. Thing of the past?

So I'm going through the house taking the trash/recycle out yesterday and I see that we have a new phone book. Rather instinctively I pick it up and put it in the recycle. My wife says "While you're at it, just take all of them." She then opens a cabinet in the kitchen and starts to hand me book after book after book. No joke, I had probably 35lbs of phone books when all was said and done, they all said 2011-2012. So, I started to think, does anyone REALLY use the phone book anymore?
    Yes! What is the interwebz?
    0%
    No. Haven't picked one up in years.
    0%
    Yes. I advertise there also.
    0%
    Yes. They are cheaper than booster seats for the kids.
    0%
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

I prefer them, but never use them.

Comment

Waste of fucking paper. Used to get them dropped off all the time at my house and I didn't even have a land line. The stupidity of it is irritating.

Comment

I only use them when I'm out of town and want to browse the restaurants in the yellow pages.

Comment

I get 2-3 a year! When I hear the guy dropping it on the porch, I want to go out and throw it at his face. Another piece of trash for me to throw out.
          Ded

Comment

I think old people still use them.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

To the majority of us on this site, they are relatively obsolete. However, the benefit of the directory is to find a local biz for a service. Most of this site has an apartment, a rental home or lives with parents... NONE of those demographics help your average plumber or AC guy. Google still can't figure out a way to do effectively what the local book does. Search engines are great for buying stuff online, whereas the book is still very much a solid local point-and-shoot search tool.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                To the majority of us on this site, they are relatively obsolete. However, the benefit of the directory is to find a local biz for a service. Most of this site has an apartment, a rental home or lives with parents... NONE of those demographics help your average plumber or AC guy. Google still can't figure out a way to do effectively what the local book does. Search engines are great for buying stuff online, whereas the book is still very much a solid local point-and-shoot search tool.
                some short people sit on them.

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I hop on the yellowpages website rather than go to the book. That way I can google the company and see what I can find first before calling them.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                    I found a coupon in the back of the book for 20% off bulk purchases of Purell Hand Sanitizer.
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    dont downshift!!

Comment

god bless.
                      I chuckled.

I haven't opened one in years.

Comment

I found a coupon in the back of the book for 20% off bulk purchases of Purell Hand Sanitizer.
                        <-------- feverishly searching for phonebooks!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

<-------- feverishly searching for phonebooks!

god bless.
                          carefull, the ink rubs off on your fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            I hop on the yellowpages website rather than go to the book. That way I can google the company and see what I can find first before calling them.
                            A lot of the 20-somethings and 30-somethings do that, find the biz on a YP.com or Yellowbook and research the company's website. www.YP.com is turning into a great internet/cellphone transitional tool for the Baby Boomers, they're really familiar with the print but most people don't have a book in the trunk of their car.
                            dont downshift!!

Comment

phone book? is that an app on your phone. Is that the place where all your numbers are stored? what is this magical book that you speak of?
                              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                              Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X