Someone get the tar and feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone get the tar and feathers

The injury he speaks of, according to TMZ, is he claims to have thrown his back out a few weeks into deployment and was sent home.

An "America's Got Talent" contestant under fire for lying about his military injuries apologized today, saying he didn't realize he was lying.

"It's the truth that I truly think is real, and that's a horrible thing because I don't know," Sgt. Timothy Poe told ABC affiliate WFAA-TV in Dallas before he broke down in tears.

Earlier this week, Poe won the audience's hearts when he told them a story about a brain injury he received in the line of duty in Afghanistan.

"My career was ended in 2009," he said. "I had got hit by a grenade in Afghanistan, and it broke my back and gave me a brain injury, and so that's why I stutter a little bit."

By the time he finished singing a stutter-free rendition of Garth Brooks's "If Tomorrow Never Comes," the audience was in tears.
    PHOTO: Timothy Poe has been accused of exaggerating his military history on 'America's Got Talent.'
    ABC News
    Timothy Poe has been accused of exaggerating... View Full Size
    Lindsay Lohan's Car Collides with Big Rig. Watch Video
    Regina Spektor Talks About Growing Up Poor Watch Video
    Lindsay Lohan in Hospital After Crashing Porsche Watch Video

"Everything about you is amazing," said Howie Mandel, one of the show's judges.

Poe received standing ovations, but in the days since he has come under increasing criticism, after the National Guard confirmed there was no record of Poe being injured by a grenade. He served only one month in Afghanistan.

"I was blown away that I was totally taken in," Mandel told TMZ on Friday. "I'm really angry with the guy."

Late Friday night, Defenders of Freedom, a charity for wounded veterans that claims to have helped Poe financially, released an audio of him speaking without a stutter.

"I believe he's a liar," Defenders of Freedom's founder Donna Cranston said.

Poe apologized to Cranston in his WFAA interview. He released a military document that shows he suffers from an injury or disease received in the line of duty, explaining that's what makes it difficult for him to keep his history straight.

"I don't feel like I've lied," Poe told WFAA. "That's what's driving me crazy ... because I truly thought things have happened to me."

It's unclear whether Poe will be edited out of the Las Vegas episode altogether, but TMZ reports that the producers will be editing his appearance somewhat.

An 'America's Got Talent' contestant under fire for lying about his military injuries apologized today, saying he didn't realize he was lying.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Look at the apologists in the comments

Comment

Yeah, when I watched that I thought something was fishy. The "stutter" sounded way too rehearsed. And at the end of the performance, he talked to Nick Cannon and didn't stutter. Nick was like, look at that, no stutter. And he was just like uhhhh...... like he didn't really know why he didn't stutter.
      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

And the stutter only kicked in if, and you can see it, he thought about it. Nick pointed out he didn't stutter during the interview and you could see the 'oh shit' look cross his face.

Comment

Working...
        X