Blunt Commencement Speech: "You are not special."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt Commencement Speech: "You are not special."

New personal hero. Even better is the apparent approving reaction of those he addressed. We'll reach a tipping point somewhere, when everyone gets tired of this coddling entitled bullshit.

Social media was buzzing about a Boston-area high school teacher's blunt commencement speech that told students they "are not special."

Wellesley High English teacher David McCullough Jr. told graduates "You are not special. You are not exceptional," quoting empirical evidence:
    "Across the country no fewer than 3.2 million seniors are graduating about now from more than 37,000 high schools. That's 37,000 valedictorians ... 37,000 class presidents ... 92,000 harmonizing altos ... 340,000 swaggering jocks ... 2,185,967 pairs of Uggs," he said in the speech published in the Boston Herald.

He added: "Even if you're one in a million, on a planet of 6.8 billion that means there are nearly 7,000 people just like you."

McCullough makes a statement on parents who overdo it in a modern society focused on collecting achievements. "You've been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble wrapped ... feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie." But he adds in a video on Wellesley Channel TV YouTube page, "You see, if everyone is special, then no one is. If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless. ... We have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement."

McCullough's address does push students to recognize real achievement: "The fulfilling life, the distinctive life, the relevant life is an achievement," and he encourages graduates "to do whatever you do for no reason other than you love it and believe in its importance."

Many expressed their approval of the message on Twitter:
    This is awesome. I don't remember my HS commencement speech. I think I would remember this one. — S.L. Gray

Fantastic speech which sums up the neglected duty of so many Americans in 1 phrase: "Be worthy of your advantages." — Benjamin Yee

the greatest commencement speech ever. — Neil Raden

My new hero. Tells grads "You're not that Special ... when everyone gets a trophy, the trophy doesn't mean anything." — Jason Dobrolecki

The Boston Herald also reported that McCullough's words were very well received by attendees. The teacher, a father of four, admitted he's guilty of the actions he pokes fun at in his speech.

But near the end of the address he says, "The sweetest joys of life, then, come only with the recognition that you're not special. Because everyone is."

I'd give this post an 8th place ribbon.

But seriously, I agree completely. The whole everybody is a winner, no child left behind mentality is pussifying this country at an alarming rate.

Comment

Just curious, do all kids get a first place ribbon for th activities on play day?

Hell, do elementary school still have play day?

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
        I'd give this post an 8th place ribbon.

But seriously, I agree completely. The whole everybody is a winner, no child left behind mentality is pussifying this country at an alarming rate.
        Yes. I remember a time when even if someone was stupid, they got a long if they were nice. If they were weak, they had other strengths...etc. Things just worked themselves out and everyone earned anything they got.

Now hatred is created non-stop because group A is given everything while group B busts their ass just to get the same.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Now that is the kind of teacher I want teaching my children. Sometimes there is no second chance, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you lose big. Just how it is. Just have to keep moving forward.
          Rich

Comment

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all a part of the same compost pile.

Comment

We are the all singing all dancing crap of the world.

Comment

I hope you are right about that tipping point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                  I hope you are right about that tipping point.

Society has a way of correcting itself. In the last two years, it has felt to me like there is increasingly a push back against all this "feel good" PC bullshit. Guess time will tell. I'd love to be able to see how we progress(or digress)for the next 1000 years, considering just what the last 100 has brought.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
                    That was absolutely all I kept thinking of when I heard this on the radio yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                      Society has a way of correcting itself. In the last two years, it has felt to me like there is increasingly a push back against all this "feel good" PC bullshit. Guess time will tell. I'd love to be able to see how we progress(or digress)for the next 1000 years, considering just what the last 100 has brought.
                      I agree, everything is cyclical. My hope is that the pendulum swings sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        As soon as I feel that way, someone comes forward and apologizes for saying something that could be perceived as potentially offensive.

Comment

I'm happy to see someone saying it in an official capacity. when my daughters would go to dancing and modeling recitals, it would rub me wrong that they would make sure everyone got a trophy for bullshit reasons. I felt like leaving the trophy on the stage. Like he said, by giving one to everybody, they made it worthless.

Comment

Here it is....

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                              That was great!

Comment

Working...
                              X