Drop Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Shipping

Why would this not be the norm for a company like Summit to offer this vs. waiting until their periodic stock shipment comes in? Yesterday I ordered a pretty high dollar part from them and they quoted me a ship date of something like 6/19. I asked if that was a definitive date or just a guesstimate and they indicated it was definitive.

I called the manufacturer and they basically said that they had it on the shelf and could drop ship it to me if Summit requested it. Get on the dialer, call Summit and they were like, "oh, yeah, we can have it drop shipped to you". Now they are expected to ship on Monday.

I'm not really complaining because it all seems to be working out, but just seems odd that they wouldn't just go ahead and request it for you vs. making you wait 2 weeks. I could maybe see on like a $50 dollar part or something not wanting to hassle with it, but I even voiced my displeasure with that long of a lag and the original guy was like, "that's how long it takes".

Drop shipping saves money and warehouse space. It can be a pita as well.

Im sure you could have ordered it direct as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
      Drop shipping saves money and warehouse space. It can be a pita as well.

Im sure you could have ordered it direct as well?
      Nope, they only sell through their distributors. I can see it being somewhat of a pain, but if it saves money and space and benefits the customer I just don't understand why they wouldn't even present it as a possible option to get it quicker.

Comment

Lazy supply chain people. Think of who handles your order and what motivation they have to put in a little extra effort.

Comment

We deal with this stuff as well. I think smaller companies are just not setup to handle lots of small orders but it sure saves freight costs and time.

Comment

Its makes them both money. It also lets the smaller company sell more product and save shipping. All companies that ship get huge discounts over a certain amount.

Comment

Jegs drop ships...that is all i have to say lulz

Comment

Viren from vsracing is in dfw, I am also in dfw. Yet he drop ships everything, so a wastegate that would be easily picked up to save time, still takes 2-3 weeks.

What ever, I hope I get it this millenium.
                Ded

Comment

Dude, sometimes I think warehouse/supply chain systems are inefficient on purpose.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                    Viren from vsracing is in dfw, I am also in dfw. Yet he drop ships everything, so a wastegate that would be easily picked up to save time, still takes 2-3 weeks.

What ever, I hope I get it this millenium.
                    he probably has no inventory at all

Comment

not sure if this is this case for your situation, but most manufacturers have minimum freight to meet. so the distributor will have it shipped to them first along with other parts from the same vendor so that they save money. then when they ship it out to you they either charge you freight and make more money or eat the freight but it still goes on their account so they get the shipping volume discounts through fedex or ups... it is all about saving money especially since most carriers have raised their cost of delivery

Comment

as the price of fuel and consequently the price to move goods continues to rise, i'm sure we'll see this becoming a much more common occurrence. let the manuf. sit on their inventory, and drop ship.

Comment

Openly subscribing
                          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

new tuner?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                              he probably has no inventory at all
                              Yep, almost nothing. It keeps his expenses low as a personal business man, he doesn't need to have thousands of $$$ tied up in inventory. Which is fine because he passes on some savings to me.
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X