Another lawsuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lawsuit?

Looks like a pretty good one as a school is telling this student he can't wear his rosary, which are clearly a sign of his religion, in school.

Minnesota student banned from wearing rosary beads to school

By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published June 07, 2012

FoxNews.com

balthazor2.jpg

Jake Balthazor, 15, of Coon Rapids, Minn., has been told by local school officials that he can no longer wear the black and silver rosary honoring his grandmother, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, his father told FoxNews.com. (Courtesy: Lisa Thompson)
    rosary2.jpg

Next Slide Previous Slide

A Minnesota high school student who wears rosary beads to school in support of his cancer-stricken grandmother was ordered to pocket them by school district officials, who said the beads could be a symbol of gang membership.

Jake Balthazor, 15, of Coon Rapids, a northern suburb of Minneapolis, was told Wednesday by Coon Rapids High School officials that he could no longer wear the black and silver rosary honoring his grandmother, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, his father told FoxNews.com.

“He was told not to wear it again,” Chad Balthazor said Thursday. “He was upset when he came home from school. A teacher sent him down to the office, but the reason he was wearing it was for his grandmother.”

The school district’s policy forbids any “apparel, jewelry, accessories or matter of grooming which by virtue of its color arrangement, trademark or any other attribute denotes membership in an organized gang,” Mary Olson, director of communication for the Anoka-Hennepin School District, told FoxNews.com.

“Jake is just doing it for his grandmother. He’s not in a gang.”

- Chad Balthazor, father

Olson said Coon Rapids police informed the district in early May that some local gangs, namely the Latin Kings and the Surenos, do use rosary beads as affiliation symbols.

“He was told [Wednesday] by staff not to wear it to school and they were not told he was wearing it because of his grandmother,” Olson said. “He was told not to wear it because it’s a gang symbol. He may not think of it as a gang symbol, but other students at the school may.”

Balthazor was told he could bring the beads to school if kept in his pocket, Olson said.

Sue Thompson, Balthazor’s grandmother, told FoxNews.com she disagreed with the policy as she was traveling to a local hospital for surgery early Thursday.

“I think it’s pretty bad,” Thompson said. “I’m really upset with the district.”

Coon Rapids Police Department Capt. John Hattstrom confirmed to FoxNews.com that a memo was sent to local school officials advising them that some gangs use the beads as a way of identifying members. The memo did not contain a directive to ban the beads, he said.

“They make their own decisions on policy,” Hattstrom said.

Balthazor said his son told him he’d wear the beads around his neck to school Thursday and that he’d put them in his pocket if asked. He also called upon the district to review its policy.

“Jake is just doing it for his grandmother,” he said. “He’s not in a gang.”

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

That's a fake name!

Comment

I fail to see a problem. Generally people who openly wear religious symbols and are told they can't wear it anymore are generally dicks about it, but that's beside the point. Gang related clothing/accessories have been banned in schools for as long as I can remember, it just so happens that this kids rosary is used by a local gang. This doesn't even have anything to do with religion, it seems, it's all about his grandmother. He can suck it up and honor his grandmother somewhere else, or in some other fashion.

Comment

Must be some hard core gang.

Comment

This story brought to you by ForeverFrost's daily "lets post the most negative shit we can, cause nothing good ever happens in this world" news feed app for Blackberry.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            Must be some hard core gang.
            The CHP. "Catholic Hole Pokers"

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              This story brought to you by ForeverFrost's daily "lets post the most negative shit we can, cause nothing good ever happens in this world" news feed app for Blackberry.
              You do know I'm not making you read my posts

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                I fail to see a problem. Generally people who openly wear religious symbols and are told they can't wear it anymore are generally dicks about it, but that's beside the point. Gang related clothing/accessories have been banned in schools for as long as I can remember, it just so happens that this kids rosary is used by a local gang. This doesn't even have anything to do with religion, it seems, it's all about his grandmother. He can suck it up and honor his grandmother somewhere else, or in some other fashion.
                I seem to remember athiests being far more rabid about if they see religious stuff anywhere public. And he has the right to express himself and wearing a rosary is part of that expression and his (presumed) religion and the religion of his grandmother. This is blatant violation of his rights.

So, since MS 13 is latino and the Bloods and Crypts are black and the Skinheads are white and the Triads are Asian, that pretty much means that no one can go to school because they may wear something that at some point was used by one of these groups.

Comment

Oh, and no one ever said I wasn't obsessive. When I see authority figures fucking up, I feel a need to bring it to light.

Comment

I think they should have just told the parents that wearing the rosary out in the open could possibly be dangerous for him, and if he gets shot its his own fault because they warned him.
                    "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      I got a $100 car wash/detail today for free.

FACE!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        I seem to remember athiests being far more rabid about if they see religious stuff anywhere public. And he has the right to express himself and wearing a rosary is part of that expression and his (presumed) religion and the religion of his grandmother. This is blatant violation of his rights.

So, since MS 13 is latino and the Bloods and Crypts are black and the Skinheads are white and the Triads are Asian, that pretty much means that no one can go to school because they may wear something that at some point was used by one of these groups.
                        You're wrong. But I'm not going to argue with you about it because it'll be fruitless. You'll just continue on with your same flawed logic, and no matter how many times and different ways I explain how you're wrong nothing will change.

Comment

Zzz
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I think that everyone is becoming over sensative to to many things these days and trying to cater to not hurting anyones feelng..

its okay to have " im black and im proud" on a car.. but " WHITE POWER" and you are a rascist..

it's okay to put " GAY PRIDE" and a big fuckin rainbow... but not " Straight pride" because that is offensive..

Fuck everyone...
                            2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

I think if you don't like what another person wears then you shouldn't be such a over sensitive pussy

Comment

Working...
                              X