89 Octane gasoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
    Where the hell do you get 85 octane? Never seen it.
    Colorado. The altitude combined with the crap gas made for a very angry blazer.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
      If an engine can run on shit gas, it's probably a good engine. I'm convinced that my 87 GT could've ran on piss.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        Yes but I must say...BOOST is much more enjoyable when the air is thinner like in Colorado...IF you have a means to prevent detonation like alcohol injection. My Supra ran like dogshit north of Santa Fe when the air got thin...the GN felt weaker at low RPM but once it hit boost climbing a hill...HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          Yes but I must say...BOOST is much more enjoyable when the air is thinner like in Colorado...IF you have a means to prevent detonation like alcohol injection. My Supra ran like dogshit north of Santa Fe when the air got thin...the GN felt weaker at low RPM but once it hit boost climbing a hill...HOLY SHIT!!!!!
          Um, the lower pressure atmospheric air allows for less octane required... That's why Colorado has 85 octane.
          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
            Um, the lower pressure atmospheric air allows for less octane required... That's why Colorado has 85 octane.
            I'm not arguing...just stating that the transition from no boost to 18psi with a PT52, 3200 rpm 9.5" PI converter, and street tires seemed MUCH more fun in Colorado when the effect of the turbo is amplified....maybe its just me but it seemed significantly more impressive in thin air than in Dallas air.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              I'm not arguing...just stating that the transition from no boost to 18psi with a PT52, 3200 rpm 9.5" PI converter, and street tires seemed MUCH more fun in Colorado when the effect of the turbo is amplified....maybe its just me but it seemed significantly more impressive in thin air than in Dallas air.
              Likely just the butt-o-meter. My NA cars ran so damned slow up there. My poor 37 foot RV with a 454 4bbl could barely make it up some of the hills and it flat couldn't make it up some with a tow car attached. The blazer would never shift into OD because I had to keep the pedal down 3/4 at all times just to maintain speed. Had to spin the piss out of my Saturn SL2 to get going.

Comment

i put sugar in my tank. i get good mpg
                .....bro....

Comment

Need more variety? I took this pic last night in Stillwater OK
                  1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                    Premium fuel is bullshit anyways.

Unless you have a tune or a s/c, there is no reason to spend the extra $$$.

I did find out crapstang told my mom to put 87 in her mini cooper sport...(supercharged!!!!) DOH! His excuse was "well it didn't say premium fuel requiered"...............
                    Follow your owners manual. If it says its required, use it. If it says recommended, dont be a cheapass. Your vehicle will run better and your mpg will be closer to its epa rating than running regular.

89 octane isnt worthless, the 5.7 hemi recommends 89 octane. It may also help if you're pinging on 87.

Comment

I used to run 89 in my 71 skylark. It would ping on 87.

Comment

I run 93 octane in mine, but only because the engine requires premium. It will run on 87 of course, but the ECU will pull timing due to the knock sensors. End result, worse mileage, worse performance.
                        Last edited by The King; 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I believe late 90's model Toyota Avalons required 89octane.
                          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                            Florida has pumps just like that, but most have bars underneath the buttons. For what? I don't know, maybe they think you will try and steal the the pump.....
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I only put premium on my BMW. It only cost $5 more per gas tank. The sticker does say that Premium is Required.

Besides, I barely drive to begin with. I've owned my wagon for nine months and have put less than 5000 miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                                there are a few 7-11s with pumps like that in plano
                                07 f250-family truckster
                                08 Denali -baby hauler
                                52 f1-rust bucket
                                05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                                livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Working...
                                X