No announcement yet.

89 Octane gasoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 years ago when my 82 V6 Regal had over 100k miles on it the engine would rattle on anything less than 89 octane fuel (worn rings). When I bought my 83 Supra and started tinkering with timing at the track I didn't gain anything in ET or MPH from either 93 octane OR 100 octane (normally aspirated). When I picked up my 94 T/A I initially put premium in it (93) to check the mileage...then I switched to 87 and checked again......under all driving conditions I could not tell ANY difference....it ran the same. When I picked up my Grand National (turbo V6) I did the same experiment...started with 87...noticed some pinging on hard acceleration...it got slightly better with 89 octane....and essentially went away with 93 (using the stock boost and chip). My 98 GMC with 218k miles (vortec 350) has a slight bit of knock at WOT under a load on 87....with 93 octane its better...but I cant tell any difference between 87 and 89 other than the price.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
      Premium fuel is bullshit anyways.
      Premium fuel isn't bullshit, there are specific applications where it is needed. The general misconception among the masses is since it costs more, it must be better for their vehicle than the less expensive fuel. And what you end up with is soccer moms unnecessarily filling the minivan with premium(or mid) thinking they are getting more out of it, when really they are just wasting money.

And jdgregory, the octane levels tend to vary by region, not state. Last time I went through El Paso there were pumps that were 86/88/90. And I remember seeing as low as 85 octane fuel in Colorado.

I have been told that a lot of it has to do with elevation, but I don't have the science on hand to back it up. I also don't have a logical explanation for mid grade.

I'm sure someone that knows more will be along to give you some type of answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        20 years ago when my 82 V6 Regal had over 100k miles on it the engine would rattle on anything less than 89 octane fuel (worn rings). When I bought my 83 Supra and started tinkering with timing at the track I didn't gain anything in ET or MPH from either 93 octane OR 100 octane (normally aspirated). When I picked up my 94 T/A I initially put premium in it (93) to check the mileage...then I switched to 87 and checked again......under all driving conditions I could not tell ANY difference....it ran the same. When I picked up my Grand National (turbo V6) I did the same experiment...started with 87...noticed some pinging on hard acceleration...it got slightly better with 89 octane....and essentially went away with 93 (using the stock boost and chip). My 98 GMC with 218k miles (vortec 350) has a slight bit of knock at WOT under a load on 87....with 93 octane its better...but I cant tell any difference between 87 and 89 other than the price.
        So unless you own an '81 Buick Regal, 89 octane fuel is useless. I will have to let this satisfy my thirst for knowledge. Time to ummmm....party.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
          Premium fuel isn't bullshit, there are specific applications where it is needed. The general misconception among the masses is since it costs more, it must be better for their vehicle than the less expensive fuel. And what you end up with is soccer moms unnecessarily filling the minivan with premium(or mid) thinking they are getting more out of it, when really they are just wasting money.

And jdgregory, the octane levels tend to vary by region, not state. Last time I went through El Paso there were pumps that were 86/88/90. And I remember seeing as low as 85 octane fuel in Colorado.

I have been told that a lot of it has to do with elevation, but I don't have the science on hand to back it up. I also don't have a logical explanation for mid grade.

Dude, I've researched it enough. I've heard that California does 91 because of emissions even though I heard the hotter fuel burns, the less emissions and the higher the octane, the higher temperature it burns at, creating a more powerful ignition hence the potential power increase. California is ran by some of the biggest retards though so to think that higher octane means higher pollution would be right on par with them.

Comment

Most guess now say to use 87. So why not. Just don't use cheap stuff

Angry Panda Poon Rawrrrrrr!!!
            Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
              Most guess now say to use 87. So why not. Just don't use cheap stuff

Fortunately, I've never had a fuel issue with my vehicle, but I have been a service writer and have seen a few issues with fuel being the problem. I've seen wal-mart as a problem a couple of times, but I've also seen shell, and chevron which are typically higher in cost for the same grade. A bad batch is a bad batch no matter where it comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post

I think generally....any somewhat modern EFI vehicle thats NOT forced induction should run just fine with 85-87 octane fuel. ANY forced induction (turbo, supercharger) or modified high compression OR high timing engine should run premium fuel to prevent pre-ignition or detonation. High mileage (worn rings/lower compression) might benefit from higher octane to prevent ignition rattle. Not sure there is a specific answer for EVERY car...just gotta test it and see what works best for your driving needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                  Dude, I've researched it enough. I've heard that California does 91 because of emissions even though I heard the hotter fuel burns, the less emissions and the higher the octane, the higher temperature it burns at, creating a more powerful ignition hence the potential power increase. California is ran by some of the biggest retards though so to think that higher octane means higher pollution would be right on par with them.
                  It doesn't burn hotter... The flame front moves slower, and is less resistant to going supersonic and forming a shockwave, which causes a ping.
                  Full time ninja editor.

Comment

I think generally....any somewhat modern EFI vehicle thats NOT forced induction should run just fine with 85-87 octane fuel. ANY forced induction (turbo, supercharger) or modified high compression OR high timing engine should run premium fuel to prevent pre-ignition or detonation. High mileage (worn rings/lower compression) might benefit from higher octane to prevent ignition rattle. Not sure there is a specific answer for EVERY car...just gotta test it and see what works best for your driving needs.
                    My 4.3L blazer HATED 85 octane, it would barely run on the stuff. My 93 300zx and my friends 93 Infinity J30 didn't do well on 87, had some pinging. My t-bird SC would ping like all hell on 87.

Comment

If you're pinging on 87 it doesn't hurt to try 89 to get rid of it...

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        My 4.3L blazer HATED 85 octane, it would barely run on the stuff. My 93 300zx and my friends 93 Infinity J30 didn't do well on 87, had some pinging. My t-bird SC would ping like all hell on 87.
                        Every car is different and there are a lot of different factors that come into play obviously. Ambient temp, humidity, condition of engine, mileage, state of tune, etc.... I have switched back and forth from 87 to 93 on occasion in my 99 Honda CBR1100xx just to see if I could tell any difference...and even in 100+ temps...nope...not a damn bit of difference. If I did that in my Grand National in 100+ days...I'd have blown head gaskets.

Comment

Older cars especially carb cars was bad about it the older they got. The carbon build up would get hot and cause predetination that caused the pinging and ruff running

Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Every car is different and there are a lot of different factors that come into play obviously. Ambient temp, humidity, condition of engine, mileage, state of tune, etc.... I have switched back and forth from 87 to 93 on occasion in my 99 Honda CBR1100xx just to see if I could tell any difference...and even in 100+ temps...nope...not a damn bit of difference. If I did that in my Grand National in 100+ days...I'd have blown head gaskets.
                            Definitely. My Northstar Cadillacs all claimed to need premium and I never had an issue with 87. The SC was running nearly 15 PSI, so good reason that 87 pissed it off.

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                            Older cars especially carb cars was bad about it the older they got. The carbon build up would get hot and cause predetination that caused the pinging and ruff running

My 351c pings some under hard acceleration, damned carb.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                              It doesn't burn hotter... The flame front moves slower, and is less resistant to going supersonic and forming a shockwave, which causes a ping.
                              Really good to know. Thanks.

Comment

Where the hell do you get 85 octane? Never seen it.

Comment

Working...
                                X