Women wrongly notified her husband is killed in motorcycle crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women wrongly notified her husband is killed in motorcycle crash

Crazy story on several levels. Guess the guy didn't have ID?

When officers told Melody Halls, 31, that her husband died early Tuesday morning in a motorcycle accident, she went immediately to the first stage of grief: denial.

And she was right.

Two Alberta, Canada, police officers and a grief counselor arrived at Halls's Medicine Hat, Canada, home and told her to sit down. Once they asked whether her husband had tattoos, they told her he'd been killed in a 1 a.m. collision, Halls told ABC News.

"As soon as he said that, I knew something was wrong. ... I'd seen my husband at 7 a.m.," Halls said. "It was instant disbelief because it's the worst thing that anyone can ever say to you -- that your husband has been killed this morning."

Halls' husband has tattoos on his forearm and calf, but the officers told her the accident victim had tattoos on his stomach and back, strengthening Halls' conviction that her husband was alive.

Halls led the officers out to the garage.

"Sure enough, the door to our shed was open and the lock was missing off of it," she said.

The motorcycle and helmet were gone.

Police determined the motorcycle had been stolen, and the thief -- whom police have not yet named, but Halls said was a neighbor -- died in the accident.

"Although efforts were made to identify the victim of the collision based on the information available at the time, the Medicine Hat Police Service sincerely apologizes for the distress that was caused to the family of the motorcycle owner, when they were incorrectly notified," Medicine Hat Police Service Deputy Chief Richard Wigle said in a news release.

The service will be reviewing its next-of-kin notification practices, according to the police statement.

With officers in and out all day, Halls had to tell her 9- and 10-year-old children about the mix-up. They were mostly shocked at the thought of losing their father, she said.

As for her husband?

"He's really upset about his motorcycle being stolen more than anything," she said. "And that somebody died crashing it."

Halls said she isn't mad about what happened to her, but she wishes the police asked about the last time she'd seen her husband before doing anything else. She said she accepted the police chief's apology on one condition: "as long as this never happens again."

i was posting this up at the same time! haha the story isn't what got me, it was the fact that "chief dick wigle of medicine hat" was involved... that guy sounds like an incredible crime fighter!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      As for her husband?

"He's really upset about his motorcycle being stolen more than anything," she said. "Oh and of course, how could he forget, that somebody died stealing it."
      "
      Fixed for reality sake.

Sad deal, Karma's a bitch you theiv'n bastard.
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Alex, "The motorcycle owner should have been killed for letting the thief steal his bike and break the law."

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
          i was posting this up at the same time! haha the story isn't what got me, it was the fact that "chief dick wigle of medicine hat" was involved... that ugy sounds like an incredible crime fighter!
          Ha! I didn't catch that.

Comment

I thought all police chiefs were Dick Wigles. lmfao...

Crazy story, I bet she is a nervous wreck for a while after that. Fortunately the bad guy won't get to be a bad guy anymore, and the good guy gets a new bike.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              I thought all police chiefs were Dick Wigles. lmfao...

Crazy story, I bet she is a nervous wreck for a while after that. Fortunately the bad guy won't get to be a bad guy anymore, and the good guy gets a new bike.

And she gets to keep her husband. Good ending all around, but sure a fucked up way to get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                Please continue as you are Skid! That guy makes me wish we could vote on perma ban around here. Which isn't really a bad idea...

Outside of that, this story sucks, and is a testament to the results of limiting the IQ of police officers.

And Danny, only after having to pay his deductible and going through countless other bullshit. Where's the justice?
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Canada, eh? Based on the thread title I would've wagered on Utah.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                    Please continue as you are Skid! That guy makes me wish we could vote on perma ban around here. Which isn't really a bad idea...

Outside of that, this story sucks, and is a testament to the results of limiting the IQ of police officers.

And Danny, only after having to pay his deductible and going through countless other bullshit. Where's the justice?
                    In looking at his posts he contributes nothing. I guess 95% of the posters do not, but he annoys the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      Canada, eh? Based on the thread title I would've wagered on Utah.

LOL, whoops!

Comment

So from early morning to late at night the hubby was off the leash and no worries as to where he was? He has got a keeper!

Comment

medicine hat?
                          .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                            if this guy hadnt broken the law, he wouldn't have gotten run over.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                              if this guy hadnt broken the law, he wouldn't have gotten run over.

http://youtu.be/gmTO2JGeOxE
                              Well, it's illegal in Texas to possess a real life looking dildo, but i'm sure you have a vast collection. I mean, you can try to hide them in your ass all you want, but we know you have them. Sounds like you're going to get ran over.

Comment

Working...
                              X