Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever had a Aussie cattle dog (heeler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had a Aussie cattle dog (heeler)

I've always wanted a bigger dog than the rats and jacks I've had with similar energy and I'm looking at adopting soon. I've got two questions though if any of y'all have owned one before. 1) how well do they do around other dogs? My dog would be around a catahoula mutt daily and a jack russel often. 2) Do they get significantly harder to train when they get older, like a 2 yr old or so?

My grandmother used to breed them. In my experience they do just fine around other dogs, but are highly intelligent and energetic. Their best traits can manifest themselves into problems quickly though if you don't have time to work with them.
    Big Rooster Racing "Dare to win well."

Comment

<-- had him for 10 years. Very easy to get along with other dogs, very obedient and very intelligent.

Comment

Great dogs, but labs and beagles are good as well.

Comment

My cousin has one and he loves it, it obeys, listens and is very loyal. And according to my cousin, better than his wife...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Grew up with several they are good dogs, the worse thing I remember is them usually being very protective of one person particularly the trainer.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Good dogs from everything I've heard. Of course I'll cast my vote for a border collie.

Comment

If you do get one make sure it isn't prone to attacking police officers

Comment

imma get me a beagle for myself, or if not somewhere in the heeler range
                  GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Fantastic dogs, but they're working dogs, so you have to keep their minds occupied. If you don't, they'll find their own ways to entertain themselves.

Comment

I have two Australian Sheppards, one akc registered and mini-Aussie that we got at the humane society and is completely deaf. Our Akc dog is super smart and obedient and our deaf aussie is more obedient than most the dogs in our training class. They are both really loyal to my wife and I. My wife has had dogs in the past and when we decided that we wanted a dog, she wanted one that is smart. We looked at our options and chose the aussies. Granted we have spent alot of time training the dog, I think they would of learned the basics commands to please you. Their inner herding skills are still there cause they will round up our cats when we tell them its feeding time and we never have done training for that. If I had to get another dog it would definitely be another Aussie

Comment

Rasta's a lab/ Australian kelpie mix.. and you know how badass he is.

Comment

ours is a little odd, but is a mix we rescued. All the others ive been around have been super intelegent. Ours is sweet, and very protective of my wife. Id recomend them, they tend to do well with other dogs.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Aussies are bad ass dogs. Had one mixed with Dobie growing up, and he will always be one of my favorite memories...
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

They really are badass dogs. I'll be getting one soon, and a rattie puppie.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X