Texas looking at 85mph speed limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas looking at 85mph speed limit

If only it was for the whole state. I think pretty much every freeway I've ever been on needed an increase of 10 mph, but most could stand to be upped 15-20.

Can't drive 55? … 65? … 75? How about 85?
    A stretch of Texas highway may soon be the first road in the country to have a posted 85 mph speed limit.

The Texas Department of Transportation said this week that part of a toll road being built between Austin and San Antonio will be tested to see if motorists can safely push it to 85.

"It was designed under extremely high design parameters," Darren McDaniel, the state's Speed Management Director told WOAI radio.

Texas and Utah are the only states with 80-mph limits on some roadways. But Texas turned heads when lawmakers gave the green light to go to 85 if needed.

"The higher the speed limit, the more accidents there are, the more injuries and the more deaths," Jerry Johns, president of the Southwest Insurance Information Institute, told Reuters last year.

Eighty-five mph would be the second-highest posted speed limit in the world, according to the European auto rental firm Rhino Car Hire, Reuters reported. Some roads in Poland reportedly allow speeds of about 86 mph.

Texas hopes the faster toll road will help relieve one of the country's most congested interstates, between Austin and San Antonio.

"It's in a straight, flat area," TxDOT spokesman Mark Cross told Yahoo. "Safety is a priority. We want to make sure people understand that."

R!
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

E!
      Full time ninja editor.

Comment

I.

Comment

hell, I even searched and didn't see it. Wharz the post?

Comment

Come on Eric.....LOL
            You're slacking

Comment

Lol. Most people drive that fast on 635 and 30. Some cars would be unsafe to drive at that speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                Come on Eric.....LOL
                You're slacking

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ht=speed+limit

Hell, I didn't look that far back. On the bright side at least I didn't post in that thread. lol

Comment

dumb idea people will then be driving 95

Comment

Wont happen. What will all the North Irving and Coppell officers do now?

Comment

Will take me awhile to get to 85, much less 95 in my badass car of a 4banger galant I have. LOL

Will be awesome if they do this for 287 between here and Amarillo when I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                        dumb idea people will then be driving 95
                        They do already....I find it funny that people think laws are going to change the habits people already have. The only people effected by this are law abiding citizens that go 60 in EVERY lane of the highway...
                        Originally posted by Sean88gt
                        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                        Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

It is a speed limit, as in you can't exceed 85. No one says you have to, just like a normal highway there is a minimum and a maximum speed. If you obey the signs on the road, cough cough keep your slow ass in the right lane, then everything will be fine.

When I drive from state to state or through desolate areas I cruise at 85/90.. I agree some people shouldn't be driving that fast but those who shouldn't and do, will do so regardless of the posted speed limit. I think there should be stricter guidelines to obtaining a license though, because I don't think half the fucking people on the road have a clue how to drive...
                          Last edited by 347Mike; 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM.
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                            Wont happen. What will all the North Irving and Coppell officers do now?
                            Considering it's for a stretch of toll road between Austin and SA, I'd say the Irving and Coppell police officers will still have plenty to do
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

85??? Hell the first time I drove to San Antonio, going through Austin I had people passing me that had to have been runnin 90!!
                              Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Working...
                              X