Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 things I have learned about D R Horton homes since owning one for 5.5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No kids for me, Devonshire gives you a nice Highland home and out in the country for now. I like the fact that Rockwall (10 min.) and 190 (15 min.) are very close.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      Now you're talking out of your ass. You can say what you want about MMA, L.A. and SaHD shit, but this is something you have no clue about.

I spent three years researching my next home builder before I bought/built and Highland/Hunnington homes were by far the best. Their customer service and build quality at the time were the above par. I've been in my home 12 years this November and have not had any issues with their build. I have many, many friends that have had similar issues as Brad, but I have had none.
      Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I'm not disagreeing with you on that, yes they all the cookie cutters do. I currently live in one, it's been fine and we haven't had any problems. There is good homes and bad homes. But several custom home builders employ there own crews for their builds to keep a hold of their own strict set of guidelines. You can find them with some research. Our next home is a Paul Taylor Home.
      Steve I will have to disagree with you on this. I work for and have worked for some of the biggest custom home builders in Dallas. I've roofed the 30,000 sq foot homes. They all outsource their work. Not one builder I have ever worked for has their own crews. They have damn good superintendents to watch their jobs 24/7 to make sure there perfect, that and they pay double for their work than the track homes do. I've been doing this a long time and have been selling to custom builders for 14 years and this is how it works.

Comment

I live in Joshua on an acre of full of oak trees. Sure its a lot of yard work but its worth it. Our house was built in the 70's. There are just a ton of stuff on our house you don't see on houses anymore. Quiet small town.
        I've said too much though. We don't need the city moving this way.

Comment

Originally posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
          I live in Joshua on an acre of full of oak trees. Sure its a lot of yard work but its worth it. Our house was built in the 70's. There are just a ton of stuff on our house you don't see on houses anymore. Quiet small town.
          I've said too much though. We don't need the city moving this way.
          The city already moved there and it isn't going to stop. I lived in Joshua for many years in the 80s.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            The city already moved there and it isn't going to stop. I lived in Joshua for many years in the 80s.
            Its grown up but nothing like what you guys live in. There aren't any gangstas, people feel 100% safe at the city park, family feels safe anywhere in the town, I've seen wild turkey, have a crazy amount of different birds that come to the trees, etc..

I grew up in Joshua and couldn't wait to get out. Lived in the city for 8 years and won't ever go back. Its an awful way to live. Period. If Joshua ever turns to that I'll move even further out.

Comment

Originally posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
              Lived in the city for 8 years and won't ever go back. Its an awful way to live. Period.
              To each their own, but I'm on the opposite side of the fence... I actually think my "awful" way to live is the best for me and family, but that's strictly my opinion, as you are entitled to your own.

<-- not in the hood or the sticks

Comment

my father designed the first house D.R. ever built lol. and as stated, if the home builder you are considering is traded on the NYSE, run the fuck away...........
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                  My experience during the build process
                  City came and inspected each step of the build process-Kaufman County; we are a Forney zip code, but Crandall Schools. It is county and not city so I have never in the 5.5 years living there seen a building inspector, nor saw any inspections or reports of one being done. Unlike when I did home theaters on new construction homes in Dallas and saw the green and red tags on everything from plumbing to electrical.
                  especially all electric installations.

Did this not occur during your build? What city?No; Heartland, TX.

We also picked-paid for upgraded carpet at the designed center in farmers Branch, however we did get what we selected.We did the same; however didn't know that we hadn't gotten the upgraded carpet until a family friend who is a sales guy with CC Carpet pointed it out to us.

We also took pictures of each step of the build as our builder at the time
                  invited us to visit the site whenever we wanted.We visited the build on a regular basis and took plenty of pics; just didn't know at the time what to expect as the norm for a starter home in the SUB $200k range.

I just hope not to find any surprises 3 years from now.

On a side note they have sold the builders lots across from us and will be moving one of the builders contractor trailers off their lot and building a home, and knocking down the temporary home D R Horton built on the other and building a home there.

Comment

DR Horton is the best builder in the world when compared to the fuckin monkeys that built my home. Avoid Summeer Homes at all cost guys.

It has taken 10 years but I've corrected most of the bullshit they built.

Comment

Another thing about Forney. If you want to go to a community college, you are stuck paying out of county prices at any school basically. My wife is going to TVCC because it is in Kaufman county and we assumed we would get the in county rate. Nope. They told her that Forney is not part of their Tax district. And of course, the Dallas county college are out of county.

So basically, you pay out of county prices no matter what, if you live in Forney. Bunch of bullshit.

Comment

I forgot to mention that on one of our visits it was the day that they were to pour our slab. We actually discovered that they had form-boarded out the wrong F'n floor plan. They had already dispatched the concrete trucks that morning. We called the Super and he assured us it was correct. We were like um no, you pour it and you will have to tear it up and start over. We were like whatever and left.

That's about the same time we were on the fence with the whole neighborhood, D R Horton homes and the whole Heartland area; and looked over at some homes in the Diamond Creek sub-division.

Well come to find out it was the wrong floor plan, and they had to cancel the concrete trucks, re-form board the slab and rerun the plumbing trenches etc......lol

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          Another thing about Forney. If you want to go to a community college, you are stuck paying out of county prices at any school basically. My wife is going to TVCC because it is in Kaufman county and we assumed we would get the in county rate. Nope. They told her that Forney is not part of their Tax district. And of course, the Dallas county college are out of county.

So basically, you pay out of county prices no matter what, if you live in Forney. Bunch of bullshit.
                          Thanks for that info. I was contemplating taking some night courses this fall

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                            Thanks for that info. I was contemplating taking some night courses this fall
                            It might be different for you. I am in the city limits of Forney.

Comment

Working...
                            X