Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 things I have learned about D R Horton homes since owning one for 5.5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 things I have learned about D R Horton homes since owning one for 5.5 years

Just as the title says....this is my personal experience with them over the course of owning our home for roughly 5.5 years and the whole year from picking our lot and building the house prior to move in....

1. They hire the cheapest/least experience sub-contractors.
    2. They cut every corner they can to squeeze the most out of every dollar.
    3. If they build in a rural-county area like my neighborhood they disregard any safety measure that are normally code in most cities.
    4. They almost never use electrical boxes behind or above their lighting fixtures; just bust a hole in the sheet rock, run the wire and toggle bolt the fixture.
    5. They only cement every other post on the fences, and use cheap un-treated wood.
    6. They use the lowest quality 2x4's you can buy; when framing the house.
    7. They install apartment grade carpet even if you pay for premium carpet.
    8. They leave gaps in the decking of your roof and merely cover it with tar paper and then shingle over it.
    9. They don't use the back box wiring when they install electrical outlets; they use the side screws and only tighten then part way, so that you eventually work them lose by plugging things into them thus shorting the outlet out.
    10. They refuse to have a square or plumb wall/doorway/cabinet/fixture in the whole damn house!

I could keep going on; but this was enough to vent for now.

Damn sounds like they suck ass.

One question: how can they possibly get away with using untreated wood to build a god damn fence ? Everyone know you can't do that shit.

Is there a spec sheet somewhere , where is says that they used treated lumber to build the fence ? Can you prove they used shitty carpet when you paid for good carpet ?

Sounds like they need to be sued.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

That's why they are "starter" homes, and why guys like me are in business. For what those sell for, it's the only way they can do it and make money. God made sheetrock for a reason...to cover up all the shit no one wants you to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        That's why they are "starter" homes, and why guys like me are in business. For what those sell for, it's the only way they can do it and make money. God made sheetrock for a reason...to cover up all the shit no one wants you to see.
        Truth. But you can still voice your concerns as the house is going up.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          Truth. But you can still voice your concerns as the house is going up.
          Only if you know what to look for. Most first-timers don't have a clue...and D.R. Horton knows that better than anyone.

Comment

welcome to the world of tract homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              Only if you know what to look for. Most first-timers don't have a clue...and D.R. Horton knows that better than anyone.
              Also true. But I am sure they make books and websites for first time builders to utilize.

Comment

You just described every cookie cutter home builder in the country. Nothing new.

Comment

Next home is going to be a custom home from a reputable builder, or an older custom home built in an established older neighborhood....

Yes this is our starter(first) home in a HUGE tract neighborhood called Heartland(between Forney and Crandall).

Comment

Sounds like fox n Jacobs homes

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      You just described every cookie cutter home builder in the country. Nothing new.
                      No the other builders in the neighborhood seem to be a step above; however weren't available when we built.

Lennar and First Texas Homes.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                        Sounds like fox n Jacobs homes
                        I am sure they are related somehow lol

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          Also true. But I am sure they make books and websites for first time builders to utilize.
                          if i were to have a house built, and i didn't know anything about what to look for, my solution would be to find someone that i could trust and pay them a fee to drop by throughout the build and note everything that should be fixed or replaced and give it to me, so i could review it and give the list to the builder...then have him go and make sure that it was done. it wouldn't cost much, and it would almost guarantee that they would put a little more effort into your home, so they didn't have to constantly go back and do things twice.

Comment

I will say for a first home it is a lot better than apartment living

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                              Next home is going to be a custom home from a reputable builder, or an older custom home built in an established older neighborhood....

Yes this is our starter(first) home in a HUGE tract neighborhood called Heartland(between Forney and Crandall).
                              my wife has been showing a couple of homes in your neighborhood, over the last week or so...it looks like a decent little community. i guess that heartland is a town, but it shows up in the navigation as forney.

Comment

Working...
                              X