Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 things I have learned about D R Horton homes since owning one for 5.5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
    The customer service that HH provides is unmatched on my purchase. I had a tree die on me two years after I moved in, not their problem right. I went ahead and called since they were still building in my area, they came out and dug up the old one and planted a new one.
    Five years later I was buying a surround system and I was getting quotes to install the speakers in the ceilings. My wife had thought we payed for that, we looked up our build contract and behold, we did pay for it. We didnt noticed it or care at the time since we didnt have a surround system then, I sent an email. They came by saw the paperwork, BAM the electricians showed and and spent several days installing my wires, patching the holes and repainted everything to my satisfaction.
    Nice! That's good service right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      What about Devonshire ( a Highland Homes subdivision) up FM548, we went there a month ago and the hood was pretty decent, I saw no riff-raff, cars on 30's, redneck 4x4's or people of african decent.
      Devonshire is nice from what I can tell.
      Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM. Reason: fixed the quote...

Comment

The builder my wife and I love is Our Country Homes but they are to expensive for us at this time. I've heard DR Horton, Fox and Jacobs and Kb Homes are crap.

Comment

Sounds like my house. The builders spent a fortune putting in steel framing and studs and steel roof. From there, they cut every possible corner. There was a 8"x8" square cut in the brick that went directly outside with the guest bathroom sinks running PVC out the hole and then dumping on the ground, half of the sockets didn't work or would only work if you held the plug a certain way.

The hallway is not square and until I had an electrician out to fix it, if you went into the attic when it rained, you'd get shocked from the electrical sitting on the steel.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
            Isn't it better to find a contractor and make your own custom house on a tract of land you own? I've heard this was the cheaper solution with more features that you want. Has anyone tried doing it like that?
            Have you seen my thread in the home improvement forum?
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

DR Horton, KB Homes, lots of entry level builders out there.

My home in Frisco is a First Texas Home. I didn't know much about them at the time I bought, but had 30 days and had to buy, and they were the right price and in the right area, so we bought. For the most part, I have very minimal complaints, and most of what I could complain about is fairly easily fixable.

My next home will be a Shaddock, without a doubt. Probably the next subdivision over, at that...

Comment

My experience during the build process
                City came and inspected each step of the build process
                especially all electric installations.
                Did this not occur during your build? What city?
                We also picked-paid for upgraded carpet at the designed center in farmers Branch, however we did get what we selected.
                We also took pictures of each step of the build as our builder at the time
                invited us to visit the site whenever we wanted.
                I just hope not to find any surprises 3 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                  My experience during the build process
                  City came and inspected each step of the build process
                  especially all electric installations.
                  Did this not occur during your build? What city?
                  We also picked-paid for upgraded carpet at the designed center in farmers Branch, however we did get what we selected.
                  We also took pictures of each step of the build as our builder at the time
                  invited us to visit the site whenever we wanted.
                  I just hope not to find any surprises 3 years from now.
                  No offense, but city inspections just cover VERY basic things. Most cities use inspections as a reason to charge you $1800 for a building permit. Slab, framing, and "tops" is all they cover. Quality of workmanship is not.

Comment

This is a random picture of an actual Horton home obtained from the internet...

www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Looks like they framed that one on 32" centers?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Looks like they framed that one on 32" centers?
                        Incoming PM...
                        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                          Incoming PM...
                          bullshit! spill the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                            bullshit! spill the beans.
                            No, really, it is!
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Fox Hollow sure is nice

Standard Pacific is my home builder, nothing bad to report here.
                              Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Only negative thing I can say about Devinshire is your kids will have to go to North Forney..... A very nice neighborhood, they're gonna want their kids to go to Forney High instead.
                                Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Working...
                                X