• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardsman, Peace-Loving Landlady at Odds

Guardsman, Peace-Loving Landlady at Odds

Jun 04, 2012

Boston Herald| by Laurel J. Sweet
    Add a Comment

A National Guardsman who served in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay has sued a woman he tried to rent from, after she told him his war service and her peace activism presented a "conflict of interests" and suggested he seek housing elsewhere -- though the Dorchester landlady insists his veteran status "would not impede his chances to rent from us."

Sgt. Joel Morgan, 29, said the two-bedroom $1,220-a-month Savin Hill apartment that property owner Janice Roberts, 63, showed him in April was perfect. But he claims Roberts told him in an April 9 voicemail that renting to him would be a conflict, saying, "We are very adamant about our beliefs."

"It just is not going to be comfortable for us without a doubt. It probably would be better for you to look for a place that is a little bit less politically active and controversial," Roberts told Morgan, according to his complaint. The voicemail was played for the Herald during an interview with Morgan last week at the Boston office of his lawyer, Joseph L. Sulman.

"For her to do that to me, it was like a spit in the face," Morgan said. "For what we have gone through overseas, to come home to our country and have people ... discriminate against us. ... It made me extremely insecure about being a soldier."

Morgan filed suit last week in Suffolk Superior Court, accusing Roberts of violating a state law that prohibits landlords from refusing to rent to veterans.

"It's illegal," Sulman said, "but also just unconscionable. It's something any American should be embarrassed about."

Roberts told the Herald that Morgan was one of 30 people who inquired about the apartment. "We had to choose somebody," she said, declining to take further questions. But she authorized Sulman to release to the Herald a 16-page "response" she sent the lawyer dated May 23, in which she stated Morgan never filled out a rental application. Morgan said he took a rental form but decided not to return it after hearing her voicemail. She also cited questions about his ability to pay the rent, what roommates he would have, whether he had issues with a prior landlord, and whether he had been racially insensitive when he mentioned a noise complaint he had with his prior neighbors, who were black. Morgan denied any racist intent in the remark.

Roberts wrote she has belonged to a civil-rights group called Garden of Enlightenment since 2000, adding, "This bodes the question, 'Why would someone like Joel Morgan, who apparently fought so valiently (sic) in wars in which he believed, want to even choose to subject himself to renting an apartment from people -- like myself -- who were so vigorously seeking an end to the Iraq War??'

"There was never any mention to Morgan that his being a veteran would impede his chances to rent from us. If anything, he was a victim of U.S. greed, and for that, I feel much empathy."

A Milton native and divorced father of a 19-month-old son, Morgan said he served at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2003; as well as combat tours in Iraq in 2007 and 2008; and in Afghanistan last year.

Morgan said he is studying criminal justice at Quincy College and recently took the civil service exam, hoping to become a Boston firefighter.

"Almost every time I'm in uniform and I walk past a child, they salute," Morgan said, smiling.

His interaction with the landlady, he said, "didn't take away my pride of being a soldier for the United States. I'll hold onto that until I die."

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Is it illegal? I'm honestly not sure if saying "it might be better..." but still being willing to rent would violate EOH or something like that.

She didn't seem to have been nasty about it, this seems more like a smear campaign. She is absolutely allowed her opinion and to voice it, imo. That's one of the biggest rights we fight for, I try not to take issue with people exercising it.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
      Is it illegal? I'm honestly not sure if saying "it might be better..." but still being willing to rent would violate EOH or something like that.

She didn't seem to have been nasty about it, this seems more like a smear campaign. She is absolutely allowed her opinion and to voice it, imo. That's one of the biggest rights we fight for, I try not to take issue with people exercising it.
      Oh it's illegal to discriminate based on service. Highly. If she'd have kept her mouth shut about views and just said someone else fit better it'd have been fine but no. She made it about his service

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        Oh it's illegal to discriminate based on service. Highly. If she'd have kept her mouth shut about views and just said someone else fit better it'd have been fine but no. She made it about his service
        I'm still not sure she actually "discriminated", she never had a chance to. Maybe they can prove some kind of intent in court, but...I dunno. I'd like to see how this one plays out.

Comment

I'm still not sure she actually "discriminated", she never had a chance to. Maybe they can prove some kind of intent in court, but...I dunno. I'd like to see how this one plays out.
          Intent was when she left the voice message where she discriminated against him because of his service. If he still has that, you're looking at the new owner of that complex.

Comment

She didn't allow him to rent based on his military service. That's discrimination.

Comment

Exchange black for veteren and racist for "peace loving" and its pretty cut and dried.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                She didn't allow him to rent based on his military service. That's discrimination.
                Errr, the main reason he COULDN'T rent was because he never returned the rental application. She never discriminated as she would have had to actually deny his rental application due to his military service. We'll see how the "it probably would..." statement goes in court though...

Comment

Errr, the main reason he COULDN'T rent was because he never returned the rental application. She never discriminated as she would have had to actually deny his rental application due to his military service. We'll see how the "it probably would..." statement goes in court though...
                  I saw that, but she opened the can of worms by bringing his service into the conversation. She could have left it with, "Your household income doesn't meet the minimum standards for rental," and she would've been fine.

Comment

This is where she messed up

"It just is not going to be comfortable for us without a doubt. It probably would be better for you to look for a place that is a little bit less politically active and controversial," Roberts told Morgan, according to his complaint. The voicemail was played for the Herald during an interview with Morgan last week at the Boston office of his lawyer, Joseph L. Sulman

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                      I saw that, but she opened the can of worms by bringing his service into the conversation. She could have left it with, "Your household income doesn't meet the minimum standards for rental," and she would've been fine.
                      You're absolutely right on that, it was a dumb move on her part.

Comment

what a bunch of babies. leave a flaming bag of poop on her porch and find a different place.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                          what a bunch of babies. leave a flaming bag of poop on her porch and find a different place.
                          If I was him I wouldn't live there now anyways. The fact is though she discriminated against him and she should be punished through the court system.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                            If I was him I wouldn't live there now anyways. The fact is though she discriminated against him and she should be punished through the court system.
                            meh, is she a moron, yes. should this shit be clogging up our legal system, no. just my opinion.

kind of one of those deals where just because you could doesn't mean you should. if it were me i'd kindly tell her to F-off and find another place. just me though.

Comment

What a douche. I can only hope that a tree hugg'n meth head moves in instead and decides to "remodel" the place with a chem-experiment gone wrong.
                              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X