World War 2 Points of Interest in DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War 2 Points of Interest in DFW

Grandpa and I are both World War 2 history buffs and I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any cool museums or interesting finds pertaining to World War 2 in the Dallas area? I'd like to take my grandpa somewhere like this. WW2 air shows, gun shoots, museums, etc. Thanks!

PS. Anybody been to Oklahoma D-Day paintball event? We went last year and had a blast...
    2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Not sure, but check out Germany, I hear they have a lot of WWII history...............

Comment

Corner of Ramey Ave and Dillard St in east fort worth

Comment

There's a decent little museum in terrell.
        Slow moving projects
        1964 C10 350/700r4
        1992 LX 5.0

Comment

If you can wait until June 30, FiFi will be landing at Addison Airport (Cavanaugh Flight Museum), coming home from a show tour. They also have a bunch of other vintage planes.

Here's the list of WWII aircraft: http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com..._aircraft.html

FiFi is the world's only flying B-29.

Comment

Audie Murphy museum in Greenville.

Comment

Comment

If you go to the Hulen Street/I-30/Arlington Heights area of FTW you will be at the location of former Camp Bowie (the WWI version that is, not the WWII version that was located in Brady).

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  If you can wait until June 30, FiFi will be landing at Addison Airport (Cavanaugh Flight Museum), coming home from a show tour. They also have a bunch of other vintage planes.

Here's the list of WWII aircraft: http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com..._aircraft.html

FiFi is the world's only flying B-29.
                  That's pretty sweet...we may shoot for this. Thanks!

I saw enough of the holocaust in the Anne Frank's museum @ Amsterdam...I acknowledge that these terrible slaughters happened but it's not particularly the kind of thing I look for. I like the development of technology and war tactics.
                  2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Gainesville

Camp Howe: BIG ASS pow camp. There are still acres of concrete blocks for the temporary buildings.
                    Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      If you go to the Hulen Street/I-30/Arlington Heights area of FTW you will be at the location of former Camp Bowie (the WWI version that is, not the WWII version that was located in Brady).
                      Camp Bowie was in Brownwood, not Brady.

If you know anyone at LM, you can get a tour. The have a history area that is pretty neat.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                        Grandpa and I are both World War 2 history buffs and I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any cool museums or interesting finds pertaining to World War 2 in the Dallas area? I'd like to take my grandpa somewhere like this. WW2 air shows, gun shoots, museums, etc. Thanks!

PS. Anybody been to Oklahoma D-Day paintball event? We went last year and had a blast...
                        I believe this is a WW2 POW camp just north of Princeton, TX.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

We may be having a machine gun shoot for veterans this Sunday. Weapons will be pretty much everything used small arm wise in ww2.

It's still in planning, but if it develops I'll shoot you an invite.

Comment

If you're near Fort Worth, there are two museums out at Meacham.

Vintage Flying Museum The Vintage Flying Museum is a unique “working” museum where visitors are able to see what it takes to “Keep ‘em Flying”. We are home to 5 […]

Meacham Airport was a training facility, storage depot, and stopping point for aircraft ferrying between the two coasts.

The JRB Fort Worth facility used to be Carswell AFB, a primary postwar SAC base. It's also where Consolidated B-24 Liberators and Convair B-36 bombers were built and operated. During WWII, PBY Catalinas were ferried to Lake Worth which sits at the north end of the base. The JRB is now home to Lockheed, which doesn't really have much of a museum that I'm aware of. But fortunately the Vintage Flying Museum mentioned above has a lot of good SAC history including the big cold war bombers. Worth checking out for sure.

North American made P-51Ds and Ks at the Dallas facility at 9314 Jefferson Blvd. More accurately, that is Grand Prairie.

I think you will want to read all of this: http://www.voughtaircraft.com/herita...ical/intro.pdf
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              I believe this is a WW2 POW camp just north of Princeton, TX.
                              Yeah, there's a marker for it on 380 as you drive through. There's not much left of it. This will save you a disappointing trip:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGMbQvpON8[/ame]

Too bad they didn't try to preserve it a little better.

Comment

Working...
                              X