No announcement yet.

Cops gaming the system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are unheard of in the free market where unions can't keep demanding more and the one actually paying the bills is forced to pay whatever by the use of force.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      The city and its tax payers elect people into power. Those people are the tax payers voice in the negotiations. Right? I know they have hacked into our benefits every year since 07 and the big crash. We are 17 officers down right now and 10 will not ever be replaced. No raise since 07 and they have cut holidays and other things. Some cities have hacked into their retirements etc. We have all felt the crunch of the economy.
      Not really no. You see, the politicians who make those contracts get voted out and they stay. Now, if the contract left with the politician then it'd be a good deal. Don't like the fact that this politician is giving 4 hours of work time for 10 minutes of work? You kick out the politician and thus the contract. Instead, they stay and are built on. What's killing cities are legacy costs. Hell you have cops retiring that are still young enough to go get another job and work for another 20 and get retirement there too. Often in another city agency so they're double pulling from the taxpayers.

What I'm saying is when unions and cities sit at the table, there's no taxpayer representation. Most of the politicans are voted in based on what they promise to give the welfare class. I'm all for keeping good cops on but paying for services NOT rendered? Especially when taxpayers are paying and you're under no obligation to protect them?

That's just bullshit man. If you're getting paid for a service, I expect the services to be rendered.

Comment

Your problem is you are still stuck on the ten minute thing. We have all agreed and moved on from that ifff in fact that is what is happening and not bad reporting.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I'll keep this in mind if I'm ever in Boston... until then.....

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Would I now? No. Have I? Yes. Repeatedly. "Hey, formation, be there in 10 minutes."

"Roger."

Formation, 5 minutes later, released. 2 hours later? Accountability formation again for 20 minutes and released. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. But that's part of the job. You know that going in. There is zero reason the taxpayer should be charged if you're not working for them for even a minute.
            You're not paid hourly in the military and you don't get OT. Hugely different scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
              I remember a similar situation involving FTW cops that were claiming over time but never even showed up.
              Yeah, they got indicted and are facing jail time now.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                You're not paid hourly in the military and you don't get OT. Hugely different scenario.
                And we don't have unions yet we somehow do our job. Interesting isn't it? That's what I'm saying. Put cops on salary but have someone who actually has a vested interest in taxes being kept low standing there to make sure taxpayers aren't getting the shaft on all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  And we don't have unions yet we somehow do our job. Interesting isn't it? That's what I'm saying. Put cops on salary but have someone who actually has a vested interest in taxes being kept low standing there to make sure taxpayers aren't getting the shaft on all of this.
                  Oversight?! You commie!!
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

This happened in ft worth, fired a bunch of officers, one of which wrote me a ticket which I got dismissed.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                      This happened in ft worth, fired a bunch of officers, one of which wrote me a ticket which I got dismissed.
                      IIRC the FT Worth deal was a completely different situation. They were signing up for government grant money paid to do specific tasks, like seatbelt, speeding, DWI's etc etc. While they were working normal hours they were putting different times on their citations to match the grant times or something like that. I am just going off my poor old memory of that deal but that is flat out dishonest and stealing.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        IIRC the FT Worth deal was a completely different situation. They were signing up for government grant money paid to do specific tasks, like seatbelt, speeding, DWI's etc etc. While they were working normal hours they were putting different times on their citations to match the grant times or something like that. I am just going off my poor old memory of that deal but that is flat out dishonest and stealing.
                        That is correct.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                          Humm, so if a tech gets paid 4 hours for a job that takes a good tech 30 minutes, is that "gaming" the system too?

Oh and they can quit paying the "lump sum" for sick and vacation days...Guys will just burn them before they lose them...
                          No, that's completely different. The labor times for techs are mandated by industry-accepted time-to-complete. You are paying for the job done, not so much the time it takes. If a tech can do a 4 hour book job in 2, well that's more than likely meaning you've got a guy who is damn good at his job and probably has done it so many times it's perfecty completed in 2. From personal experience, you have a happier customer, too, when i's done efficiently. There's nothing wrong with being good at your trade.

This article refers to cops finding any excuse to work 8.25 hours and getting paid 12. Huge difference.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            Oversight?! You commie!!
                            Oversight by someone who is paying for a service is actually capitalism

Comment

Something is off here.....these guys are either fudging numbers or working at least 2500-3000 hours of OT every year. Wonder if guys are somehow double dipping and working extra details or off duty assignments (still paid through dept) while actually still on duty.

If they are doing it within the contract though, city only has themselves to blame and they can clean it up next round of negotiations if need be. The working 1 minutes over 4 hours creating an extra 4 hours of pay sound sketchy and I wonder if that "watchdog" has that right. I understand (and my work does it too) being guaranteed 4 hours of pay but anything after that 4 hours should be paid in terms of actual time worked.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                                Something is off here.....these guys are either fudging numbers or working at least 2500-3000 hours of OT every year. Wonder if guys are somehow double dipping and working extra details or off duty assignments (still paid through dept) while actually still on duty.

If they are doing it within the contract though, city only has themselves to blame and they can clean it up next round of negotiations if need be. The working 1 minutes over 4 hours creating an extra 4 hours of pay sound sketchy and I wonder if that "watchdog" has that right. I understand (and my work does it too) being guaranteed 4 hours of pay but anything after that 4 hours should be paid in terms of actual time worked.
                                2500 hours of OT every year would be 85 hours+ per week. That doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X