Cops gaming the system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    No, 32 million is not a drop in the bucket. It's 32 million tax dollars.
    If that money didn't go to the cops it would be spent on some other low income project. Id rather it go to cops.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
      If that money didn't go to the cops it would be spent on some other low income project. Id rather it go to cops.
      I'd rather it not be taken from people in the first place. But hey, what the fuck do I know?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
        Or, it'd not be collected from the taxpayers. That's like saying that cops should be handed a million each because you know, it'll be spent somewhere so might as well be them. No, 1 minute is not 4 hours. Throw away contracts, hire cops like you do anyone else in the private sector. Work 1 minute? You get 1 minute pay. Don't like it? You're gone.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          I'd rather it not be taken from people in the first place. But hey, what the fuck do I know?
          We both know that aint going to happen. Just like the article said " We could use it in another area."

Comment

I can understand them appearing in court he probably sits there for 2-3 hours anyway but if he is on the beat and works an hour why should he get 4. When I was at the airport (not AA) if you got held for overtime they needed you for a set amount till the next shift let out if you got out early it was rounded up to the next 15 mins so if I got out at 3:20 I was paid to 3:30 not 4 hours later.

Comment

Humm, so if a tech gets paid 4 hours for a job that takes a good tech 30 minutes, is that "gaming" the system too?

Oh and they can quit paying the "lump sum" for sick and vacation days...Guys will just burn them before they lose them...

Comment

One minute over is 4 hours. No other job does that.
                Not sure he is reading that correctly.

Not sure how they work theirs but we are guaranteed 2 hours of call back if we have to come to city court if they show or not. County court takes at least two hours so no big deal there and city court is the same pretty much. It is your day off and a pain in the ass. They figure in 30 minutes or more to get ready, drive in, get into court, wait for roll call, dismissed, then you have to drive home and take it all off.

Hell I live really close to the city and two hours is cutting it close. Two is fair, not sure about four though but it depends on their system. We are also subject to discipline if we don't show up and there are no excuses unless you are on vacation. The only benefit to call back, and the reason we have this, is because if we had been on vacation in a two week period we did not get OT for it just straight time. Also if we go over two hours by ten minutes it does not magically turn into four.

I would hope theirs is really not that way but who knows. If ours goes over by ten it is still two hours. Most guys do not worry about ten minutes. We always kid about them putting in a time clock. I believe a city did that one time and they lost their ass. We leave late all the time and if its under thirty minutes it just isnt worth it to fill out the OT sheet and adjust our time sheet.

I believe the cost of living is way higher up there also. I think our Chief only makes around 125k or so and no OT. Most officers do not even make close to half of that even with OT.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  Humm, so if a tech gets paid 4 hours for a job that takes a good tech 30 minutes, is that "gaming" the system too?

Oh and they can quit paying the "lump sum" for sick and vacation days...Guys will just burn them before they lose them...
                  We get this also but it is capped off. Pay is fair so they offer better benefits to get employees. If five departments pay the same and one offers better benefits, which would you choose?
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post

Actually, it is. Difference is, if it's the taxpayer having to pay it. No one represents the interest of the taxpayers. You have politicians and unions. No one asks "What's fair to those who pay taxes?"

Comment

No one to blame in this situation except the city, the cops are just simply playing by the rules the city agreed to.

Comment

One minute over is 4 hours. No other job does that.
                        Thats not true at all. These are common union rules to keep employers from calling guys in for trivial things and only paying them for actual time worked. My industry operates similar to this to prevent outrageous abuses of workers.

Comment

I remember a similar situation involving FTW cops that were claiming over time but never even showed up. Makes you wonder if most cops accross the country subsidize their pay with fraudulous o/t claims. It's a shame that the phrase " To protect and serve" is solely based by some on home much their gonna get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
                            I remember a similar situation involving FTW cops that were claiming over time but never even showed up. Makes you wonder if most cops accross the country subsidize their pay with fraudulous o/t claims. It's a shame that the phrase " To protect and serve" is solely based by some on home much their gonna get paid.
                            Supreme Court already ruled cops have no obligation to serve or protect. I do wish they'd stop putting that on their cars. It's false advertising

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                              Thats not true at all. These are common union rules to keep employers from calling guys in for trivial things and only paying them for actual time worked. My industry operates similar to this to prevent outrageous abuses of workers.
                              Outrageous abuses of workers? Paying them actual time worked?

Comment

Outrageous abuses of workers? Paying them actual time worked?
                                In our case, we work for many companies and they have zero loyalty, and will absolutely fuck you. They will call you in for 15 minutes of work. Are you going to get in the car for 15 minutes of work?

Comment

Working...
                                X