Cops gaming the system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Or, it'd not be collected from the taxpayers. That's like saying that cops should be handed a million each because you know, it'll be spent somewhere so might as well be them. No, 1 minute is not 4 hours. Throw away contracts, hire cops like you do anyone else in the private sector. Work 1 minute? You get 1 minute pay. Don't like it? You're gone.
    Doctors do it to some extent. My son had a psychiatrist that would spend 5 minutes with us and charge for an hour. His waiting room was like a cattle call. He would see about 10 patients an hour, and would bill insurance or Medicaid for a full hour each.

Comment

For example, rules like these are designed to make the companies not want to do things like this:

Work more than 6 hours straight without a meal break, work you more than 12 hours a day without overtime, work you on sundays, holidays, and between midnight and 8am just for grins. If it weren't for our negotiated overtime rules and minimums, all of these practices would be very common. Since we work for multiple companies, we rarely see overtime after 40 hours.

Comment

I've got no problem with minimums, what I do have a problem with is "one minute over is 4 more hours" Right now if I get called in it's a minimum of 2 hours pay, anything over 2 hours I get normal OT pay. 30 minutes work, 2 hours pay. 2 hours 45 minutes work, 2 hours 45 minutes pay.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          I've got no problem with minimums, what I do have a problem with is "one minute over is 4 more hours" Right now if I get called in it's a minimum of 2 hours pay, anything over 2 hours I get normal OT pay. 30 minutes work, 2 hours pay. 2 hours 45 minutes work, 2 hours 45 minutes pay.
          You know just based on the article I would agree with you. I have a feeling who ever wrote the article or where ever he got his info screwed up. I bet it is four hours guaranteed and then just whetever from there on out. I would have a hard time believing that 4 hours and one minute would equal eight hours. Stranger things have happened though.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

More Ftp from Forever, nothing new. This doesn't happen at all departments and 1 department made an agreement with the city. It makes it the cities fault. Some of the stuff I put up with and do, I wish I made 200k.

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
              More Ftp from Forever, nothing new. This doesn't happen at all departments and 1 department made an agreement with the city. It makes it the cities fault. Some of the stuff I put up with and do, I wish I made 200k.
              Because the union has no responsibility in ensuring the fairness of the contract. This is both parties' fault. And if the cops are "gaming" the system, shame on them. I expect better.

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                So you're saying that I have so many instances to pull from that it's old news that cops are screwing taxpayers one way or the other in some cases? Honestly, I wish I had zero cases. I wish cops didn't beat unarmed people, I wish they didn't do no knock entrances at the wrong house and shoot innocents, I wish they didn't kill dogs in their own yards. I wish cops didn't get drunk and total squad cars or screw taxpayers out of money or push false charges because they want to.

I really wish that more officers were like some here and deserved the badge they wear.
                Last edited by Forever_frost; 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Looks normal to me as far as wording. I believe either one of two things have happened. Either the story is a bit skewed because they don't understand what they are talking about or the story is correct and the police are manipulating the system. I am only talking about the four hour and ten minute rule.

ARTICLE 10
                  Emergency Call-In Pay
                  A. An “emergency call-in” as used in this Article shall
                  mean that in a situation where an employee is summoned
                  from his/her home, he/she reports in and completes the
                  emergency work assigned.
                  B. In cases of an emergency call-in, an employee shall
                  receive a minimum of four (4) hours’ pay at his/her regular
                  base hourly rate.
                  C. There shall be no pyramiding of overtime with
                  emergency and/or hazardous duty pay.

8) Employees who work overtime outside the
                  regular workday shall be paid for overtime rounded up to the
                  nearest half hour.

8 was from another section

This is where I found that.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-03-2012, 10:18 PM.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    Looks normal to me as far as wording. I believe either one of two things have happened. Either the story is a bit skewed because they don't understand or the story is correct and the police are manipulating the system. I am only talking about the four hour and ten minute rule.

ARTICLE 10
                    Emergency Call-In Pay
                    A. An “emergency call-in” as used in this Article shall
                    mean that in a situation where an employee is summoned
                    from his/her home, he/she reports in and completes the
                    emergency work assigned.
                    B. In cases of an emergency call-in, an employee shall
                    receive a minimum of four (4) hours’ pay at his/her regular
                    base hourly rate.
                    C. There shall be no pyramiding of overtime with
                    emergency and/or hazardous duty pay.

8) Employees who work overtime outside the
                    regular workday shall be paid for overtime rounded up to the
                    nearest half hour.
                    So you're called in for an hour or two and you get paid for 4 at the very least? Damn. And I'd have no problem with that at all, except no one stands in for the taxpayers and argues that you don't need 4 hours for an hour of work

Comment

So you're called in for an hour or two and you get paid for 4 at the very least? Damn. And I'd have no problem with that at all, except no one stands in for the taxpayers and argues that you don't need 4 hours for an hour of work
                      Ours is two and it would be hard to make it in that. You don't work for BPD and neither do I so I have now idea how long it takes them to do what. I was reading a little off their site and it does appear the court process is a bit lengthy. Also I am not saying that jo bob is not handing deputy piddle a court slip to fill out everyday for some overtime. I would say a huge department would be hard to keep track of.

320 and 320a

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                        In our case, we work for many companies and they have zero loyalty, and will absolutely fuck you. They will call you in for 15 minutes of work. Are you going to get in the car for 15 minutes of work?
                        Frost is not getting this part. I thought I outlined what a pain in the ass this was on your days off earlier in the thread. Not to mention if you live any distance from the court building.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I am getting the zero loyalty part. What I am also getting at is that at the negotiating table, there is no one, not a single person, at that table with the taxpayer in mind. That's my issue. You work it out with the city that you're salary? Cool. Hell, even hourly? That's awesome.

But for a contract to happen, you have to have two interested parties. You have just one. Unions.

And if your job means you're on call, you live close to your job. Kind of why most military members live within a few minutes of work. I've been on 24 hour call. It sucks but you know that going in and live accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            In our case, we work for many companies and they have zero loyalty, and will absolutely fuck you. They will call you in for 15 minutes of work. Are you going to get in the car for 15 minutes of work?
                            Would I now? No. Have I? Yes. Repeatedly. "Hey, formation, be there in 10 minutes."

"Roger."

Formation, 5 minutes later, released. 2 hours later? Accountability formation again for 20 minutes and released. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. But that's part of the job. You know that going in. There is zero reason the taxpayer should be charged if you're not working for them for even a minute.

Comment

I am getting the zero loyalty part. What I am also getting at is that at the negotiating table, there is no one, not a single person, at that table with the taxpayer in mind. That's my issue. You work it out with the city that you're salary? Cool. Hell, even hourly? That's awesome.

But for a contract to happen, you have to have two interested parties. You have just one. Unions.

And if your job means you're on call, you live close to your job. Kind of why most military members live within a few minutes of work. I've been on 24 hour call. It sucks but you know that going in and live accordingly.
                              The city and its tax payers elect people into power. Those people are the tax payers voice in the negotiations. Right? I know they have hacked into our benefits every year since 07 and the big crash. We are 17 officers down right now and 10 will not ever be replaced. No raise since 07 and they have cut holidays and other things. Some cities have hacked into their retirements etc. We have all felt the crunch of the economy.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Would I now? No. Have I? Yes. Repeatedly. "Hey, formation, be there in 10 minutes."

"Roger."

Formation, 5 minutes later, released. 2 hours later? Accountability formation again for 20 minutes and released. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. But that's part of the job. You know that going in. There is zero reason the taxpayer should be charged if you're not working for them for even a minute.
                                I'm not arguing that it's a poorly negotiated contract. You said that similar conditions are unheard of. They aren't.

I completely agree with a 4 hour minimum, but generally disagree with 4 hour blocks after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X