Cops gaming the system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops gaming the system?

Breaking The Bank: Boston City Officials Begin Investigating Police Overtime System

Boston city leaders are starting to worry that their current overtime system for police officers could be “breaking the bank,” CBS Boston reports.

For instance, in 2011, 128 officers made more than both the Mayor and the Police Commissioner who are paid approximately $175,000, the report adds. In fact, 41 officers made more than $200,000 last year.

“I think that when they (the public) see outrageous salaries, there are questions and I think it’s really important to answer those questions,” Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

“Basically the officers have figured out a way to manipulate the contract to generate substantial increased revenue for hours that aren’t worked,” Sam Tyler, a municipal watchdog, said.

Watch the Boston CBS news brief:

What are some of the ways police officers have figured out how to play the system?

“For example,” CBS Boston explains, “an officer called in for a court case gets a four hour minimum, even if he is only needed for a fraction of that. Ditto when working a paid detail. It is all perfectly legal and spelled out in the union contract.”

So if an officer works one minute over four hours, he gets paid for eight.

“When you see this type of practice and you have 2,100 police officers in Boston, that all adds up to a lot of extra dollars that the taxpayers are paying,” Tyler said.

And in regards to the system “breaking the bank,” the city of Boston paid out $32 million in overtime last year.

“The budget is full of choices and when we don’t use it in one area we could use it in another area,” Murphy said.

Boston is also starting to rethink its existing policy of buying back unused vacation and sick time.

“City Council President Murphy wants to limit the length of time someone can carry that, so the city doesn’t get stuck with a large bill when the person leaves,” CBS Boston reports.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

It's a good thing that Matt doesn't work in Boston, otherwise he won't be getting that high vacation/sick time check when he bails.

Comment

One minute over is 4 hours. No other job does that.

Comment

$200k cops ... good lord.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Haters gonna hate

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            $200k cops ... good lord.
            It's not to late to change professions.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
              Haters gonna hate
              You mean taxpayers going to pay.

Comment

It's not to late to change professions.
                If I'm going blue collar, I'm driving choooooo chooooo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I agree 100% if you get called in to work it's a minimum of 4 hours paid. My last three jobs have been that way. The minute over 4 hours = 8 I've never heard of that and don't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    You mean taxpayers going to pay.
                    32 million is a drop in the bucket compared to boston's city budget. I'd bet they spend over a billion a year. The mayor probably got pissed some cop made more than him. If I were the cops and they dicked with my OT I'd stop writting tickets. I bet those cops on OT generate more than 32 million a year for the city.

Comment

I don't know if it's necessarily the cops gaming the system, rather than the city agreeing to stupid terms of a union contract.

Comment

32 million is a drop in the bucket compared to boston's city budget. I'd bet they spend over a billion a year. The mayor probably got pissed some cop made more than him. If I were the cops and they dicked with my OT I'd stop writting tickets. I bet those cops on OT generate more than 32 million a year for the city.
                        No, 32 million is not a drop in the bucket. It's 32 million tax dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          No, 32 million is not a drop in the bucket. It's 32 million tax dollars.
                          Those dollars just appear like magic, they weren't taken from people! That makes it all ok. lol
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            I don't know if it's necessarily the cops gaming the system, rather than the city agreeing to stupid terms of a union contract.

Pretty much. And shit, if I worked one minute extra and got 4 hours you can bet your ass I'd be working a bunch of extra minutes. That's just an idiotic thing to agree to.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                              What he said..

Don't agree to a contract and then whine about it later. This is exactly what American Airlines does.

Comment

Working...
                              X