Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Vet buried in cardboard box

This pisses me off on a visceral level

A shocking discovery at a Florida cemetery has sparked outrage and may lead to a new bill.

Less than a week after the nation honoured war veterans in Memorial Day celebrations the remains of one war hero have been found crammed inside a cardboard box, buried in a shallow grave.

Lawrence Davis Jr, a World War II vet, died in 2004 but with no family to take care of funeral arrangements he was given a makeshift, undignified burial, without a casket.

Workers at the Florida National Cemetery uncovered the controversy when they removed a headstone for maintenance work.

Headstones go down two feet into the ground and when Davis' was removed they found what was left of his cardboard casket as well as human remains.

It is not known how many more may have been buried in this way.

Veterans Affairs manager Maurice Roan told myfoxtampabay.com: ‘We usually bury the container they come in as long as its sealed. We make every effort to make sure they get a dignified burial.’

The medical examiner had sent Davis’ remains in a cardboard box and it was simply placed in the ground.

Maurice said that a quarterly service is held for all veterans without family to bury them, with their names read out but that is where it ends.

Special direction to purchase caskets for deceased veterans would take an act of Congress.

Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio are both supporting a new bill called The Dignified Burial of Veterans Act of 2012, co-sponsored by the Chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee.

If passed it would require the VA to review its burial standards, and give it authority to buy caskets or urns for all veterans in national cemeteries.

‘We're not going to treat the veterans of this country that way,’ Nelson said. ‘We're going to ensure there is a dignified burial.’

Less than a week after the nation honoured war veterans in Memorial Day celebrations the remains of one war hero have been found crammed inside a cardboard box, buried in a shallow grave at Florida National Cemetery.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

BULL SHIT to the 10th... They want to buy hood rats condoms and abortions but do this to some one who served his country. They beter make this rite.

Comment

Welcome to America 2012

Comment

Originally posted by KCHAR View Post
        Welcome to America 2004
        *fixed

Comment

The VA cuts corners on putting soldiers to rest no matter who is in office. Especially where there is no family to ensure it's done right.

Comment

personal, i will be cremated. i think burial cost is retarded.
            http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
              personal, i will be cremated. i think burial cost is retarded.
              I have no problem if they cremated him. They put him in a cardboard box. This is almost as bad as the VA dumping ashes in a landfill last year.

Comment

Wow, this is unbelievable...

Hell, I had a former co-worker that drank himself to death and didn't have a nickel to his name.He got, at the very least, a pine box(Which his cousins had people sign it with a sharpie like it was a cast).

Comment

throw me in the woods my body is a useless shell after I'm gone.
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

I really hope that's what he wanted but I doubt it, the past few years have uncovered the disrespect for our fallen heroes once they are gone. People responsible should face serious charges but I doubt they do.

I am glad my wife and I are on the same page, donate our bodies for medical research and steal all organs that are useful.

Comment

This makes me mad....

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                        A shocking discovery at a Florida cemetery has sparked outrage...
                        Good.
                        .... and may lead to a new bill.
                        BAD. Does every incident have to lead to more government oversight?
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          Good.

BAD. Does every incident have to lead to more government oversight?
                          In this case, yes. Only Congress can approve the VA to buy caskets

Comment

Working...
                          X