Green Lantern relaunched as brave, mighty and gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern relaunched as brave, mighty and gay

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Green Lantern, one of DC Comics' oldest and most enduring heroes, is serving as a beacon for the publisher again, this time as a proud, mighty and openly gay hero.

The change is revealed in the pages of the second issue of "Earth 2" out next week, and comes on the heels of what has been an expansive year for gay and lesbian characters in the pages of comic books from Archie to Marvel and others.

But purists and fans note: This Green Lantern is not the emerald galactic space cop Hal Jordan who was, and is, part of the Justice League and has had a history rich in triumph and tragedy.

Instead, he's a parallel earth Green Lantern. James Robinson, who writes the new series, said Alan Scott is the retooled version of the classic Lantern whose first appearance came in the pages of "All-American Comics" No. 16 in July 1940.

And his being gay is not part of some wider story line meant to be exploited or undone down the road, either.

"This was my idea," Robinson explained this week, noting that before DC relaunched all its titles last summer, Alan Scott had a son who was gay.

But given "Earth 2" features retooled and rebooted characters, Scott is not old enough to have a grown son.

"By making him younger, that son was not going to exist anymore," Robinson said.

"He doesn't come out. He's gay when we see him in issue two," which is due out Wednesday. "He's fearless and he's honest to the point where he realized he was gay and he said 'I'm gay.'"

It's another example of gay and lesbian characters taking more prominent roles in the medium.

In May, Marvel Entertainment said super speedster Northstar will marry his longtime boyfriend in the pages of "Astonishing X-Men." DC comics has other gay characters, too, including Kate Kane, the current Batwoman, The Question, and married characters Apollo and the Midnighter.

And in the pages of Archie Comics, Kevin Keller is one of the gang at Riverdale High School and gay, too.

DC has been a leader in incorporating gay characters into its comics — they had one of the first male gay kisses back in 1988.

Since then, numerous comic book heroes and villains have been written as gay, lesbian or transgender — from Batwoman to Hulkling and Wiccan in the pages of "Young Avengers."

Green Lantern would be the highest-profile openly gay hero — even the parallel earth version.

"It was just meant to be — Alan Scott being a gay member of the team, the Justice Society, that I'll be forming in the pages of 'Earth 2,'" Robinson said. "He's just meant to be part of this big tapestry of characters."

Some groups have protested the inclusion of gay characters, but Robinson isn't discouraged, noting that being gay is just one aspect to Scott.

"This guy, he's a media mogul, a hero, a dynamic type-A personality and he's gay," Robinson said. "He's a complex character."

So that is why the logo looks like a double butt plug.

Comment

Great. Can't wait for my 10-year-old nephew to see the issue where he and Robin are locked down in a 69.

Comment

Reminds me of the SNL skit... The ambiguously gay duo!
        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
        There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Great. Can't wait for my 10-year-old nephew to see the issue where he and Robin are locked down in a 69.
          Its a combat pose!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            This had me thinking, he always had a "love" interest or "romance" in the books and movie when mentioned. In the movie there was a girl he liked (2011 movie) and now all of a sudden we have to accept the homo tendencies that they are going to lace him up with...

I say Green Lantern falls off until people accept two guys kissing (without wanting to puke) or his character never recovers and it is 20+ years until another movie/book is made.

And what about the children who looked up to this character, are they not going to be influenced by the characters actions? I say this is a "in your face" type of flaunting of gay rights and it is something you have to deal with if you liked the character previously...
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
              Reminds me of the SNL skit... The ambiguously gay duo!
              lol their f&^kin car was a D!ck and balls
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                lol their f&^kin car was a D!ck and balls
                Well they might have been a little different. Just wait another 20 years, SNL is just ahead of the times.
                04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

This had me thinking, he always had a "love" interest or "romance" in the books and movie when mentioned. In the movie there was a girl he liked (2011 movie) and now all of a sudden we have to accept the homo tendencies that they are going to lace him up with...

I say Green Lantern falls off until people accept two guys kissing (without wanting to puke) or his character never recovers and it is 20+ years until another movie/book is made.

And what about the children who looked up to this character, are they not going to be influenced by the characters actions? I say this is a "in your face" type of flaunting of gay rights and it is something you have to deal with if you liked the character previously...
                  That's the Hal Jordan Green Lantern from the movie.

The Green Lantern has been
                  the following people:
                  Alan Scott - First Green Lantern from Earth (now gay)
                  Hal Jordan (recent movie)
                  Guy Gardner
                  John Stewart
                  Kyle Rayner
                  Jade (Alan Scott's daughter, this will be nice to explain)
                  Thaal Sinestro

Comment

"Oh spidey...was that a web you just shot all over my back?"

Comment

It will be interesting to see what this does to sales of the comic..

Comment

What is the main demographic of people that read comics? Under 13 I'm guessing? Why the fuck would a kid care if a super hero is gay or not? Why change this established character instead of just making a new super hero that happens to be gay? More white guilt, in this case straight guilt that will ruin this country. I've never seen or heard where one gay person was like "Why isn't this ficticious character gay? This offends me."
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

In the brightest leotard, in the blackest tights, no penis shall escape my sight, Let those who worship vaginas evil might, Beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS RAINBOWLIGHT
                          Originally posted by talisman
                          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                          Originally posted by AdamLX
                          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Because fuck you, that's why
                          Originally posted by 80coupe
                          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                          Originally posted by Rick Modena
                          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Green Lantern has always been gay, and it's only a matter of time before Spider Man comes out of the closet too.

On another note, has there ever been a popular comic in which there was a regular guy/girl wedding? I can't think of one ever existing, but I was never much into comics either. If straight superheros don't run around hitting on girls in bars, and letting everyone know "Hey I like vagina!!". Then why should gay superheros run around kissing other dudes, getting married to eachother, and shouting "Heey boys, guess who's gay!!!" If a character is gay, than the person who invented them knows that. If someone asks he can tell them, but obviously throwing it into the storyline of the comic is just putting the middle finger up to everyone else. Who the hell wants to read Green Lantern #1097: The Green Lantern and Robin decide on a wedding cake.?
                            .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                              What is the main demographic of people that read comics? Under 13 I'm guessing? Why the fuck would a kid care if a super hero is gay or not? Why change this established character instead of just making a new super hero that happens to be gay? More white guilt, in this case straight guilt that will ruin this country. I've never seen or heard where one gay person was like "Why isn't this ficticious character gay? This offends me."
                              It is just more bullshit from the PC idiots.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X