No announcement yet.

5 point harness = no seat belt ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 point harness = no seat belt ticket?

I was told once by someone that you could get a ticket if you're wearing one going down the road?

This isn't a question of IF it's CAN they?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

why would you be able to get a ticket for have TOO MUCH seat belt?
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Because making sense can be against the law.

Something about them not being installed by the factory and insurance liabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
        I was told once by someone that you could get a ticket if you're wearing one going down the road?

This isn't a question of IF it's CAN they?
        No idea if they can. Must of had a bad police officer though, I can't imagine any officer giving someone crap over extra safety.
        Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
        Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Because making sense can be against the law.

Something about them not being installed by the factory and insurance liabilities.
          State police can deem a vehicle unsafe and rip off your inspection sticker on the spot. But aren't most 5-point harnesses DOT approved?
          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I haven't ran into this problem, but I was wondering because once I get a cage, it'll have safety harness as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
              State police can deem a vehicle unsafe and rip off your inspection sticker on the spot. But aren't most 5-point harnesses DOT approved?
              I had a city cop threaten me to do that because my speedometer wasn't working. He said "due to faulty equipment I can take off your inspection sticker" but he let me go with a warning. 33 in a 30. That was years ago, 2007 lol

Comment

I had a friend get a seat belt ticket with them on. It was dismissed in court for two reasons, one was that his car only came with lap belts ( it was a classic ) and two because the oficer noted that he was wearing the "race harness".

Bottom line, you can get a ticket for it, and have to deal with it in court. Its bullshit that the state requires us to wear a seat belt, but I have the option of riding my motorcycle without a helmet.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I had a city cop threaten me to do that because my speedometer wasn't working. He said "due to faulty equipment I can take off your inspection sticker" but he let me go with a warning. 33 in a 30. That was years ago, 2007 lol
                  He would have had to hail a state trooper. But most state troopers IMO wouldn't bother for such a mild infraction... unless you were in a school zone. Police officers take that seriously.
                  Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I think it's crappy for it to be a ticketable offense. They are made to keep you safe in situations a 3 point can't come close to. It can save your life at 200mph and most have a quick cam lock for GTFO if something happens.

What prompts this thread is Denton was pressing click it or ticket hard today. 2 cops standing by a intersection with 4 cruisers pulling people over at the standing officers demands. They were getting them 4 at a time for ~2 hours this morning. They earned thier bread this morning. Ching! $250.. Ching $250..

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
                      He would have had to hail a state trooper. But most state troopers IMO wouldn't bother for such a mild infraction... unless you were in a school zone. Police officers take that seriously.
                      It was 10pm on a side street, and I agree I think it was him just blowing smoke. School zones are no joke, I idle through those. Fuck a bunch of that shit.

Comment

Per the Inspection manual you just have to inspect for presence of seatbelts. It doesn't say a thing about factory or aftermarket.
                        Also you don't have to inspect for a speedometer. The cop was talking out his ass.

Comment

It was 10pm on a side street, and I agree I think it was him just blowing smoke. School zones are no joke, I idle through those. Fuck a bunch of that shit.
                          I had to clear a ticket at the local courthouse once, and the man in line ahead of me was asking the clerk at the counter, I kid you not, what he should do for a citation he received for drunk driving and speeding in an active school zone.

The clerks jaw dropped, "I can not provide legal advice, you need a lawyer".

There is a reason some police officers are mean. They have to deal with people like that.
                          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

You ever try to look back in a harness? Sure you have a few mirrors, but on the street I'd rather turn my head and look, which usually involves a whole shoulder coming off the seat. Not happening in a harness. Not safe for daily use IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SamTex View Post
                              You ever try to look back in a harness? Sure you have a few mirrors, but on the street I'd rather turn my head and look, which usually involves a whole shoulder coming off the seat. Not happening in a harness. Not safe for daily use IMO.
                              Road racing they do pretty good,

Comment

Working...
                              X