Title Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title Issues

Well I bought Clints old Coupe. Didnt even notice when the guy who signed the title who bought it from the guy Clint sold it to, That is was signed 12/10/11

Yep Texas charges 5% on the value of the the car for waiting anything over 30 days to transfer a car over in to your name & 10% every month after that

Well 12/10/11 was 6 months ago. Its a 4 cycl conversion car, So it might be valued less then a 5.0 Mustang! But still gonna get hit hard with the fee's

Then on top of that. This guy signature is on the title with the dates & signature & dates from the day they sold it.

So not sure what im gonna have to do to get this thing in my name. I did write up a Bill of Sale & took the title with me to the Mustang & took the guys Drivers License & took a picture of him holding up the bill of sale & his ID to have proof he sold the car to me since the title wasnt in his name.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS
    August Landscaping
    214-779-7278
    Seb's high class.
    He'll mow your grass.
    He'll kick your ass.
    And while his kidney stones pass,
    He'll piss in a glass!

Originally posted by SEB View Post
    Well I bought Clints old Coupe. Didnt even notice when the guy who signed the title who bought it from the guy Clint sold it to, That is was signed 12/10/11

Yep Texas charges 5% on the value of the the car for waiting anything over 30 days to transfer a car over in to your name & 10% every month after that

Well 12/10/11 was 6 months ago. Its a 4 cycl conversion car, So it might be valued less then a 5.0 Mustang! But still gonna get hit hard with the fee's

Then on top of that. This guy signature is on the title with the dates & signature & dates from the day they sold it.

So not sure what im gonna have to do to get this thing in my name. I did write up a Bill of Sale & took the title with me to the Mustang & took the guys Drivers License & took a picture of him holding up the bill of sale & his ID to have proof he sold the car to me since the title wasnt in his name.
    Well, you could have the previous owner, whose name the title is in, either file for a lost title, or you could offer to pay him to go to Carrollton and have a new title printed on the spot. Then you could just tell him to not put a date on it when he signs it and you could put whatever date on it you wanted so that when you get ready to transfer it over you won't get hammered.

Just explain to him what the deal is and see what he says. Worst he can do is say no.

That could save you A LOT of money, potentially. A title printed in person at the Carrollton DMV is $5.45.

-Aaron

Comment

Or get him to fill out a power of attorney form and take a copy of his DL to the DMV and they should allow you to get the new title yourself.

That's what I was told, I still need to do this on my 91 explorer. :/ I might do it today!

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Call DMV and get and affidavid of facts, and fill in the correct dates. I did with a 5th wheel that was signed 2 yrs before we registered it.

Comment

There's no excuse for title issues. The responsible party needs to handle the problem, either monetarily or whatever it takes. I have no patience for irresponsible folks that unnecessarily cost me time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
            Call DMV and get and affidavid of facts, and fill in the correct dates. I did with a 5th wheel that was signed 2 yrs before we registered it.
            X2. Had to do that on a mustang I bought a few years ago.
            1997 viper gts
            1986 turbo mustang
            1987 Buick grand national
            1972 nova

Comment

Call Kelli @ Jackies Auto Title Service - http://www.texasautotitleservice.com/ - she can probably help you with this. Tell her Jeff sent you.
              I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
                This.
                Originally posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon View Post
                Call Kelli @ Jackies Auto Title Service - http://www.texasautotitleservice.com/ - she can probably help you with this. Tell her Jeff sent you.
                Be careful with this....knowing Jeff might make the fee go up.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
                  This.

Be careful with this....knowing Jeff might make the fee go up.
                  Very funny, I highly doubt that and probably the opposite. They're one of my clients.
                  I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Tell him to go get a copy of the title in carrolton $5.45 Easy as pie!

Comment

Well no money on my end came out, Just the time & fuel to bring the guy his ID & Title for the car. Went & sat with him at the DMV & he paid out $298 to have the title put in his name & once they sent him the title in 6 to 8 weeks he will meet us back up at the DMV & gift us the car since its a 4 cycl car & so old so we dont have to pay any taxes.

Also on top of that. He gave me a complete set of Welds with Centercaps & Lugnuts along with a Tripple Vent Gauge Pod with Autometer Silver Gauges & a BBK 190 Fuel Pump (WHICH I REALLY NEEDED FOR MY BLACK COUPE)

So I paid $4500 for the coupe & got about $600 in parts & should be able to avoid paying taxes on the car & just paying the title transfer fee to have the car put in my name.

Lesson learned is.

Dont buy a car from someone who's name isnt on the title & who has already signed the title. Cause its gonna be hell to fix.

But on a brighter note, I was patient & didnt get over worked up & everything worked out better then expected
                      GOD BLESS TEXAS
                      August Landscaping
                      214-779-7278
                      Seb's high class.
                      He'll mow your grass.
                      He'll kick your ass.
                      And while his kidney stones pass,
                      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Well no money on my end came out, Just the time & fuel to bring the guy his ID & Title for the car. Went & sat with him at the DMV & he paid out $298 to have the title put in his name & once they sent him the title in 6 to 8 weeks he will meet us back up at the DMV & gift us the car since its a 4 cycl car & so old so we dont have to pay any taxes.

Also on top of that. He gave me a complete set of Welds with Centercaps & Lugnuts along with a Tripple Vent Gauge Pod with Autometer Silver Gauges & a BBK 190 Fuel Pump (WHICH I REALLY NEEDED FOR MY BLACK COUPE)

So I paid $4500 for the coupe & got about $600 in parts & should be able to avoid paying taxes on the car & just paying the title transfer fee to have the car put in my name.

Lesson learned is.

Dont buy a car from someone who's name isnt on the title & who has already signed the title. Cause its gonna be hell to fix.

But on a brighter note, I was patient & didnt get over worked up & everything worked out better then expected
                        correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you still had to pay taxes even though its still considered a gift...

Comment

Originally posted by gonzoss View Post
                          correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you still had to pay taxes even though its still considered a gift...
                          $10 gift tax. There are stipulations to that though - it used to be your uncle's cousin's brother's, but now it has to be a notarized form and a relatively (no pun intended) close relative.
                          I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzoss View Post
                            ^^^^^beat me to it.

Yeah I thought they were getting weird about the whole gift thing and it had to be a direct family member. What year is it again? I do not think they do presumed value for cars over 20-25 years old.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon View Post
                              $10 gift tax. There are stipulations to that though - it used to be your uncle's cousin's brother's, but now it has to be a notarized form and a relatively (no pun intended) close relative.

yep...found it.

Please give the recipient your (signed) negotiable title and request that the recipient complete a title application (form VTR 130-U), which must be provided to their county tax office.

Effective immediately, when a motor vehicle is transferred as a result of a gift, the title application must be accompanied by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Form 14-317, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer, and must be filed in person by recipient or donor. The donor and recipient must both sign the affidavit and title application. The "$10 Gift Tax" only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a:
                              • Spouse
                              • Parent or Stepparent
                              • Grandparent or Grandchild
                              • Child or Stepchild
                              • Sibling
                              • Guardian
                              • A decedent’s estate
                              • A vehicle donated to or given by a Nonprofit IRC Sec. 501(c)(3)
                              On the title application, the recipient who qualifies should check the "$10 Gift Tax - Affidavit required. Use Comptroller Form 14-317." box found in Section 21. The recipient will have to provide proof of auto insurance at the county tax office to register the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X