Year specific plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year specific plates

I just picked up a '66 black plate for my car. I can't seem to find the info on registering that plate to the car as all I find are the standard custom plates. Can I add the plate to the existing antique registration?
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

not sure about adding it... but if you must have the plate, you can order it custom with the same numbers and letters and then use the old one.
    first class white trash

Comment

Go to the tax office, and ask for, "Year of Model," registration.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Here are the basic guidelines:

But, definitely go to your local DMV and ask. They seem to change this shit every year so it may be different now. But it's pretty straightforward. The key is that you have TWO plates of the same characters that are both in usable condition. You've only got the one? I'm pretty sure you won't be able to register it with just one.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I have 68 plates on my 68 Coupe.

You have to get a couple of forms from your DMV, I can't remember the names of them, but if you call them and let them know what you're doing they should be able to get the forms for you.

I bought my 68 plates at Pate a few years ago, and the vendor included the correct forms. I just filled them out, and took my plates to them with the paperwork because they wanted to see them. It just cost a few extra bucks and the paperwork.
          68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
          63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
          i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

I ran a single 1957 plate on the back of my 57 BelAir for years without ever registering it or transferring it into my name, and never got screwed with, even with cops sitting behind me at stop lights. It was also my daily driver for about a month. Not the preferred method of course, I'm just saying. Fuck The Man.

Comment

HOW TO REGISTER YOUR PLATES

To register your classic or antique plates your car must be at least 25 years old and the plates must be of the same year as the car. Also, if pairs were issued for that year, your plates must be a pair and the numbers must match; the only single plates that can be registered are 1945 and 1946. The numbers are not required to be "clear", that is if plates with the same number were issued in some other year, this won't prevent you from registering your plates.

The numbers on both plates must be in good readable condition; this doesn't mean the plates have to be "mint condition" as long as the examiner considers the plates to be in good readable condition for identification purposes. Imperfections are allowed such as minor rust, small holes in the background, or scratched paint as long as it doesn't cause the plates not to be in good readable condition. Restorations and repaints are allowed as long as it is meets the readability requirement and the color scheme used is the same as the orginal issue color scheme. Replica (non original) plates and personalized (vanity) plates are not allowed to be registered.

Passenger cars can be registered with passenger, truck, or truck replacement plates; trucks can be registered with passenger, truck or truck replacement plates. Motorcycles and classic travel trailers can bear antique or classic plates.

To register, the plates must be physically examined by one of the VTR (vehicle, title and registration) Regional offices or by a participating county tax office when submitting the application.

If your plate pair is rejected by a Texas VTR regional office for registration on your antique or classic car, you may return the plates along with your rejection notice within 30 days to obtain a refund. To qualify for this refund, the plates purchased must be a pair of unissued or professional repaint and must be returned in the same conditon as purchased. I'll return the purchase price and tax (postage and insurance won't be refunded). You must pay for the return postage. See the ordering page for further information on how returns will be handled.

If I have made a note on some pairs as needing touch up or doubtful about being accepted, this guarantee doesn't apply.

Cars registered as classic can be used in the same manner as any other vehicle; that is it can be driven daily and must carry liability insurance and have a current inspection and registration.

Cars registered as antique cannot be used as daily drivers, and other constraints apply. Please contact TxDOT for these addtional constaints of use.

The TxDot application forms give additional information about fees for antique or classic registration. Click on the link below for viewing and printing the registration forms.

Texas Department of Transportation Forms(see Antique and Classic Vehicle License Plates)
              68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
              63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
              i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Working...
              X