Children and cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    That's an awful big assumption to think that the kids aren't. My kid is more responsible than some adults I know. He bought his xbox. He bought his iPod touch. He is paying his way to two baseball camps this summer (I am paying for a third). He is saving for a laptop, and he will buy his first car, just like I had to.

And no, he doesn't get a dime in "allowance". The chores he does around here are his payment for room and board. He mows several yards to earn the money he buys shit with. I will say, he gets money from his mother and step mother for making good grades. But it isn't much, and I don't contribute to that, because good grades are expected by me if he wants any freedom.
    This is how we are. We don't do allowance, chores are an expectation, as are good grades. My youngest is OCD as fuck. She gets straight A's, does her week's worth of homework all on Monday afternoon (without prompting), cleans her room an makes her bed up most mornings (again, without prompting), and her 3DS looks brand new. She'll probably get a nice smart phone while her brothers get fireflies.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
      This is how we are. We don't do allowance, chores are an expectation, as are good grades. My youngest is OCD as fuck. She gets straight A's, does her week's worth of homework all on Monday afternoon (without prompting), cleans her room an makes her bed up most mornings (again, without prompting), and her 3DS looks brand new. She'll probably get a nice smart phone while her brothers get fireflies.
      I will say, I splurge a little at Christmas and birthdays. Kids do need to be kids and enjoy some spoils of life, but responsibility has been taught from a young age around here. Last year he got a $300 skateboard, and for his birthday I bought him a used KX65. And while I do buy the shit he breaks on it, he pays for his gas and oil for the mix. As a result, he gets to ride it any time he wants, as long as he isn't grounded for one reason or another.

At 4, Peanut is too young to hold to the same standard, but she is responsible for keeping her room clean, helping with dishes, and helping me cook when she can.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

That's one thing I never understood giving a kids an allowance. My son gets one from his mom and nothing from me. I keep telling him he shouldn't be "paid" to do chores to begin with. When he's with me I don't give him any money. He knows what his chores are and doesn't expect me to pay him. He knows I won't buy him anything unless i feel its well deserved. The only times I do splurge on him is on his birthday and Xmas.

I wasn't on board for him to get a phone at first. It has been very helpful because I can get a hold of him very quickly. Well text each other or talk during the week. Mostly it keeps his mom out of our business. I do make him turn off his phone when he's here because his cousins and friends tend to call him a lot. Good thing its a cheap phone because he drops it every now and then.
        Originally posted by talisman
        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
        Originally posted by AdamLX
        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        Because fuck you, that's why
        Originally posted by 80coupe
        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
        Originally posted by Rick Modena
        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          That's an awful big assumption to think that the kids aren't.
          I wasn't assuming anything and bravo if you aren't one of those parents that does buy your kids everything. I have known several kids when I was in school whose parents wanted their kids to be popular and cool and bought them new Mustang GT's, IROC Camaros, and the high fashion clothes, paid for all their gas, insurance, stereo systems, etc, etc. Most of the time these were the ones who totalled their cars drag racing, blew up all the stereo stuff, were constantly in trouble in school and with the police...and the parents just didn't get it. One kid totalled his first 89 Mustang GT 5spd driving drunk....and his parents bought him ANOTHER ONE. He lost that one running from the police. Point is...if they dont work for, and buy a lot of things for themselves with their hard earned money...they won't respect it, value what THEY earned, and prolly won't take care of it. I never pointed a finger at anyone here. God knows everyone on this board has kids headed for Congress, Senate, and the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
            I wasn't assuming anything and bravo if you aren't one of those parents that does buy your kids everything. I have known several kids when I was in school whose parents wanted their kids to be popular and cool and bought them new Mustang GT's, IROC Camaros, and the high fashion clothes, paid for all their gas, insurance, stereo systems, etc, etc. Most of the time these were the ones who totalled their cars drag racing, blew up all the stereo stuff, were constantly in trouble in school and with the police...and the parents just didn't get it. One kid totalled his first 89 Mustang GT 5spd driving drunk....and his parents bought him ANOTHER ONE. He lost that one running from the police. Point is...if they dont work for, and buy a lot of things for themselves with their hard earned money...they won't respect it, value what THEY earned, and prolly won't take care of it. I never pointed a finger at anyone here. God knows everyone on this board has kids headed for Congress, Senate, and the White House.
            So, how many children do you have?
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Phone, yes, data, no

Comment

Working...
              X