Children and cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children and cell phones

At what age do you feel a child needs a phone and why? My boy is hitting me up and is making a pretty solid argument.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Our oldest got one at 13. Lost it two weeks later and he's 14 now, still wanting another.
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Times are changing but I think if they are old enough to hang out at a friends house or run around the block for more than an hour or so a cell phone would be appropriate.
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

My buddy and his wife just got one for their 8 year old. He rides the bus home alone so they wanted a way to contact him in case it gets held up. He can't text or do anything fun, and they've only programmed their own numbers in it so his options are limited.

Comment

My 2 kids, 11 and 9, have phones....When they aren't grounded from them.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I got my 6 year old an iPhone for Easter. Mainly to keep him off ours!!!
            I do like that he will call me or text me through out the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
              Seriously?
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

In my opinion, not until at least 13 or older.
                My ex-girlfriends niece got one at 8 or 9...She's about to turn 13 in a few weeks and has been through more cell phones than I have. She constantly loses it, or leaves it in some random place. At that age, I don't think children are responsible enough to keep up with something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                  That makes me feel better. I guess I just need to realize times are different.
                  Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

My 12 year old is getting a phone on the last day of school this week. He's at the point where he's out and about the neighborhood goofing around for hours, so it's a good way to keep up with him and in case of emergencies. I bought the phone, but he's going to be paying for 1/2 of the monthly service fees. I wouldn't even think about getting one for my 9 year old as he is more of a home-body and isn't really allowed to roam totally free in the neighborhood. Having said all of that, I don't have a problem with younger kids getting phone IF, for example, both parents work, they have after school activities that don't end at a set time, etc. I do have a problem with younger kids getting phones just so they can "keep up with the Jones" and be "cool."

Comment

My son got his first phone at 9. It was all his mother, and I'm not footing the bill for it, nor will I. The ex added a line to her plan for $10/mo or something like that, and the phone is free. It's been replaced twice under warranty (pile o shit HTC), and he is now using one of my old iPhones. My phone is on the company plan, so I don't have the option to add a line and split minutes. And I'm not paying $100/mo for a kid to have a smartphone. That's ridiculous.

I will say, it's come in handy many times, with him going to school in another city, and neither of us having a home phone. Just not handy enough for me to pay for it.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My son had wanted an iPhone when he was 9. I told him "hell no". His mom ended up getting him a cheap flip phone instead. It's helpful since I don't have to deal with his mom and can get ahold of him very easily. He mostly uses it to text me or talk to his cousins. Luckily he hasn't lost it or broken it like he has with his PSvita. He doesn't do to well in taking care of hand held technology.
                        Originally posted by talisman
                        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                        Originally posted by AdamLX
                        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                        Because fuck you, that's why
                        Originally posted by 80coupe
                        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                        Originally posted by Rick Modena
                        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Man how did we live in the 80's. I understand that most homes don't have a land line, but come on.

No 8-10 year old needs a cell phone. They need a baby sitter or a parent around.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            My son got his first phone at 9. It was all his mother, and I'm not footing the bill for it, nor will I. The ex added a line to her plan for $10/mo or something like that, and the phone is free. It's been replaced twice under warranty (pile o shit HTC), and he is now using one of my old iPhones. My phone is on the company plan, so I don't have the option to add a line and split minutes. And I'm not paying $100/mo for a kid to have a smartphone. That's ridiculous.

I will say, it's come in handy many times, with him going to school in another city, and neither of us having a home phone. Just not handy enough for me to pay for it.
                            As people continue to ditch their landlines, it's becoming much more common. When kids are old enough/mature enough to stay at home by themselves, they should have a phone. My son's first phone was a prepaid job that he was responsible enough with, so I added him for 10/month.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

No 8-10 year old needs a cell phone. They need a baby sitter or a parent around.
                              Lmao. Wait til you have kids, you'll be singing a different tune.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X