Robbery Suspect Climbs Crane At SMU, Threatens Police Then Tests Gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbery Suspect Climbs Crane At SMU, Threatens Police Then Tests Gravity

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A robbery suspect who climbed to the top of a construction crane on the Southern Methodist University campus and threatened to shoot police Monday remained on the crane hours after climbing up.

Dallas Police SWAT officers, SMU Police, and University Park Police all responded to the scene, just outside Gerald J. Ford Stadium on the south side of SMU’s campus around 11:30 Monday morning.

The crane is being used to build the Residential Commons, a future housing area near the football stadium.

Police locked down the SMU campus and a nearby shopping center around the noon hour as a precaution. The campus was already closed for Memorial Day, and only essential personnel were working according to Brad Cheves, SMU’s Vice President for Internal Affairs. Campus police told those employees to leave the area.

The man is believed to be the same suspect in an aggravated robbery which took place overnight at 1300 Commerce St.

That person stole a box truck, leading police on a pursuit that ended on SMU’s campus. Police sources say the suspect then climbed the crane, trying to get away.

The man has not been identified, and Dallas Police Sr. Corporal Melinda Gutierrez would not confirm reports of the cases being connected.

Gutierrez said the crane did not have power or air conditioning. The afternoon temperature reached 95 degrees in Dallas.

At one point, the man was getting sick inside the crane due to the heat. The man had been throwing up, and he was witnessed taking off his shirt and shoes, breaking out a window and tossing them out.

Gutierrez said the crane has a radio, and officers “were able to get radios from the construction crew to be able to communicate with him on the crane.”

The man spoke with officers through much of the day, but broke off communication in the early evening because he was reportedly afraid of going to jail.

Although the man threatened to shoot police, SWAT officers haven’t seen a gun and don’t know if he actually has one.

An ambulance has been standing by near the scene for much of the day. As the hours pass many rescue crews and officers have been rotating out in shifts to cover the scene.

Late Monday evening SMU sent out a campus update, giving directions to faculty, staff and a few remaining students on campus:

An unidentified man continues to occupy a crane at the Residential Commons construction site at SMU. Police have contained the area and advise avoiding the southeast quadrant of the SMU Dallas campus near Mockingbird and Central.

SMU and Dallas Police continue to monitor the situation. If the situation continues through the night, SMU will provide instructions to employees in the buildings near the construction site early Tuesday morning. Those buildings are the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports, Moody Coliseum, Ford Stadium, Loyd All Sports Center and Crum Basketball Center.

Dallas Police have said they will wait as long as it takes for the man to come down. As it stands, sources say there are no plans by DPD to force the man to surrender.

Isn't there a way to bring that crane down??
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

thats gotta be hot up there...

Comment

Should have put some of that taxpayer money to good use and let a SWAT Sniper handle the situation for about a dollar. Hell of a lot less than all the equipment and wages they tied up to talk this bag of shit down and then house him for the forseeable future.

By the way we just got hit by a storm making some pretty high winds, lightning, and lots of rain. If that hits Mother Nature might do what our PC society doesn't have the balls to do.

Isn't there a way to bring that crane down??
      I'm guessing it's one of those tower cranes.
      2004 Suzuki DL650
      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

The crane just doesnt come down. The controls are way up in the air in a cab. You have to climb a ladder i believe to get to the cab.

One he is in is like this, maybe not as large but similar in design

Comment

Where's Iron Man when you need him??
          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
            Should have put some of that taxpayer money to good use and let a SWAT Sniper handle the situation for about a dollar.
            He is a human being not a dog.

What? Too soon?

Sent from my ass.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
              He is a human being not a dog.

What? Too soon?

Sent from my ass.
              I would treat a dog better than the majority of humans. Dogs don't know any better, humans choose to be idiots.

Comment

This is seriously still going on?

Comment

yes
                  www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

What's absolutely hilarious about this is that you've got one guy, 150' up in the air, with two ways out.

And fifty cop cars, Air One, probably swat vehicles, etc etc. Lol

Couldn't they put one squad at the bottom with a couple of cops in it and call it good?
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                      What's absolutely hilarious about this is that you've got one guy, 150' up in the air, with two ways out.

Couldn't they put one squad at the bottom with a couple of cops in it and call it good?
                      Exactly what I was thinking
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

What's the point of a dic........ I mean SWAT team if you can't whip it out every once in a while lol.

Sent from my iPhone
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Looks like he had a cooler full of drinks and snacks that a crane operator left yesterday. Wonder if hell open up the door to collect some of this rain so he can drink it.

Comment

In other news, the city can't figure out how it has a budget shortfall
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Problem no more, At around 2 this morning he fell out or was trying to get out when he fell to his death. Sweet
                              I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

Working...
                              X